Thread: Odd C++ job postings

Odd C++ job postings

Been browsing the jobs again and have come across some very strange stuff.

How can a company ask for 2 to 5 years experience programming and then proceed to list things that a brain dead C++ person would know?

Check out these odd requirements:

• BS/MS in Computer Science or Electrical Engineering
    • 2+ years of software development
    • Must be a fast learner and a self-motivated
    • Languages: C/C+++
    • Knowledge/ Experience in Windows or Linux

Ok so let me get this straight. You have a BS or MS in Computer Science and yet have no experience in Windows? You have more schooling than experience actually programming and they think that's fine? You must know C/C++ and be a fast learner and self-motivated? Ok so going to school for 4 or 6 years doesn't prove that? And how could you possibly be a fast learner and self motivated yet only have 2 years experience developing software and yet hold a BS or even an MS? Ridiculous.

Very stupid. I'm finding more and more that I have most of the qualifications for what they consider appropriate for people with 5 to 10 years experience. Yet I have 0 years professional experience and have done everything these 'advanced' postings mention like DirectX, Direct3D, assembly, etc, etc.

So I guess old things like MFC, DirectX and Direct3D are suber uber advanced. Hmmm.....whatever.

Guess I'm screwed. No BS and tons of hands-on experience. I'm still applying anyways, what have I got to lose?
    Last edited by VirtualAce; 08-25-2007 at 05:59 AM.

Kernel hacker
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    Been browsing the jobs again and have come across some very strange stuff.

How can a company ask for 2 to 5 years experience programming and then proceed to list things that a brain dead C++ person would know?

Check out these odd requirements:

• BS/MS in Computer Science or Electrical Engineering
    • 2+ years of software development
    • Must be a fast learner and a self-motivated
    • Languages: C/C+++
    • Knowledge/ Experience in Windows or Linux

Ok so let me get this straight. You have a BS or MS in Computer Science and yet have no experience in Windows? You have more schooling than experience actually programming and they think that's fine? You must know C/C++ and be a fast learner and self-motivated? Ok so going to school for 4 or 6 years doesn't prove that?

Very stupid. I'm finding more and more that I have most of the qualifications for what they consider appropriate for people with 5 to 10 year experience. Yet I have 0 years professional experience and have done everything these 'advanced' postings mention like DirectX, Direct3D, assembly, etc, etc.

Guess I'm screwed. No BS and tons of hands-on experience.
    Just apply anyways - assuming there aren't hundreds of applicants, if you have at least some of the right qualifications, you can get the job by giving the right impression at the interview.

I just got accepted at a job where C++ is a major part of the job - I have very little actual C++ experience, so I had to convince that my other qualities and my ability to pick up new things rather quickly was a suitable match to the job.

You have to accept, of course, if the first attempt to sort out qualified applicants from those who are not is done by someone who have no clue about what the actual job is (such as someone in HR with a qualification to do HR, but no actual experience in software development), then you may not get through the first sort - but all it cost you is a few minutes of printing your CV, a stamp and an envelope (or the cost of sending an e-mail).

--
    Mats

&TH of undefined behavior Fordy's Avatar
    It's because HR people write those ads, so they have a stab at what they would view to be an "ideal" candidate.

Why do they require experience in Linux OR Windows?
    If you had experience in something else would it not apply?

Kernel hacker
    Quote Originally Posted by zacs7 View Post
    Why do they require experience in Linux OR Windows?
    If you had experience in something else would it not apply?
    Yeah, like writing code (or scripts) in Solaris/HP-UX/AIX is _SO_ different from Linux that it takes years to learn the difference, right?

I agree, they come up with "an ideal profile", but if you have 3-4 out of 5, and the right attitude, you may well be the right candidate. It's just much easier to match perfectly, of course. But you STILL have to come across as the right person at the interview, and it's very dependant on the company and individual interviewer what they like and dislike, how they like to work, what the best candidate should and shouldn't do, etc, etc.

--
    Mats

Tell them your willing to do the HR work for free if you get the job

Registered Abuser
    here's another common one:
    "Must have a good attitude and work ethic"

yet, I've never seen this:
    "Hi yes, I'm here for the job, I'm Mr. Bad Attitude, first name Lazy Sob"

It's just your run-of-the-mill standard Job Application requirements; you'll typically find it anywhere and everywhere an employeer needs to "beef-up" the list of qualifications for what is usually an open-ended, non-specific employement position.

All jobs have unrealistic expectations, it's a part of the game. I'm sure you would be more than proficient at most of the programming jobs out there Bubba. The biggest thing that could hurt you is not having the CS degree.
    I'm not immature, I'm refined in the opposite direction.

chococoder
    Saw a job advertised for a system admin requiring 10 years worth of experience with Windows 2000 based networks.

back in 1999.

And another requiring 10 years of J2EE experience,

in 2001

Popular pages Recent additions subscribe to a feed