Thread: Creating a programming language

left crog... back when? incognito's Avatar

Creating a programming language

Well I am in deep ......Because my collegue professor, after a couple of lessons has decided to have us create a programming language. To tell you the truth I don't know where to start. I tried javacc, but I am not sure this is what I am looking for. Any uselfull links would be greatly appreciated. I mean there has to be a tool to aid you on this and to help you turn your file into an executable. It could be either in C/C++ or Java. Please guys help me out here. Thanks in advance.
    There are some real morons in this world please do not become one of them, do not become a victim of moronitis. PROGRAMMING IS THE FUTURE...THE FUTURE IS NOW!!!!!!!!!

"...The only real game I thank in the world is baseball..." --Babe Ruth

"Life is beautiful"-Don Corleone right before he died.

"The expert on anything was once a beginner" -Baseball poster I own.

Left cprog on 1-3-2005. Don't know when I am coming back. Thanks to those who helped me over the years.

Did your professor specify a compiled language? Why not just write an interpreter?
    My best code is written with the delete key.

He didn't really specify it, but I think he's was leanning towards an executable, that's what I've seen other students do before. But most of them use a utility that's available to Visual Basic, but I rather not use Visual Basic. His only requirement is to make it so it analyses at least 6 words.. He also started talking about, "Some of you will go really simple but others will go right ahead and just about make something that compiles C entirely". So this makes me think he doesn't want an interpreter. And he gave us two weeks. Which doesn't give me a lot of time, ya know with work and all.
    There are some real morons in this world please do not become one of them, do not become a victim of moronitis. PROGRAMMING IS THE FUTURE...THE FUTURE IS NOW!!!!!!!!!

Left cprog on 1-3-2005. Don't know when I am coming back. Thanks to those who helped me over the years.

I think tools like yac, lex and bison will come in handy.

eat my shorts!
    Quote Originally Posted by Prelude
    Did your professor specify a compiled language? Why not just write an interpreter?
    double that.

since i think writting a compiler would be much more difficult than wriiting a interpreter for c++/c/java
    combine all three, make it a basic oop language (more on the lines of psudocode)

it would be cool if i said:

start prog:

Func:

dis: something //display
    do: 1+2 = sum
    out: sum //output
    Games Reviews Previews Desktop Themes Downloads Paintball Forums Shareware Freeware and much more

The best in Technology and Gaming News

www.back2games.com

and the hat of int overfl Salem's Avatar
    If you dance barefoot on the broken glass of undefined behaviour, you've got to expect the occasional cut.
    If at first you don't succeed, try writing your phone number on the exam paper.

Thank you all. I am going to get on this right away.

Javacc is LL(1), so for most programming languages you will have retrofit your grammar. Flex and Bison are fairly easy to use.

Popular pages Recent additions subscribe to a feed