Thread: Questions.

Yes, my avatar is stolen anonytmouse's Avatar

Questions.

I found these questions on sciforums.

20 Hypothetical Questions.

1) Would you be willing to spend a night alone in a remote house that is supposedly haunted, just for the sake of it? (knowing nothing more about the history of the house than that) There is no electricity though there is running water and other utilities, and you can bring your own flashlight and/or lantern and such. The nearest neighbors live 5 miles away.

2) If a new medicine were developed that would cure arthritis but cause a fatal reaction in 1% of those who took it, would you want it to be released to the public?

3) You discover that your wonderful one-year-old child is, because of a mix-up at the hospital, not yours. What would you do? Would you want to exchange the child to try to correct the "mistake"?

4) Would you accept $1,000,000 in U.S. dollars (or the equivalent in whatever currency) to leave your country and never set foot in it again?

5) If you could live a week as a member of the other sex, would you?

6) (For this question, if you're currently in a mate relationship then answer as if you were single) You have the chance to meet someone with whom you can have the most satisfying love imaginable -- the stuff of dreams. However, you know that in six months the person will have sex with someone else, and then when you eventually find out they will leave you for them and want nothing more to do with you. Knowing the pain that would follow, would you still want to meet the person and fall in love and experience the 6 months of bliss? You would forget your foreknowledge of the events in store for you, too.

7) If you knew of a way to use your estate, following your death, to greatly benefit all of humanity, would you do it and leave only a minimal amount (10%) to your family?

8) Would you be willing to murder an innocent person if it would 'somehow' end all hunger in the world?

9) Would you rather be given $10,000 for your own use, or be able to give $1000 anonymously to 100 strangers? You can't pick who it's given to, though you know that all of the people could really use the money.

10) Would you be willing to give up half of what you now own (randomly selected) for a pill that would permanently change you so that one hour of sleep each day would fully refresh you?

11) If the person you were engaged to marry had an accident and became a paraplegic, would you go through with the marriage or back out of it?

12) You are offered $1,000,000 USD (or the equivalent in whatever currency) for the following act: Before you are ten pistols -- only one of which is loaded. You must pick up one of the pistols, point it at your forehead, and pull the trigger. If you can do this and walk away you do so a millionaire. Would you accept the risk?

13) Someone very close to you is in pain, paralyzed, and you 'somehow' know for certain that they will die within a month. He begs you to give him a fast-acting, painless poison so that he can die. No one else would ever know. Would you?

14) If you could have free, unlimited service for five years from an extremely good cook, chauffeur, or masseuse, which would you choose?

15) Do you feel ill at ease going out to see a movie by yourself?

16) Do you feel ill at ease going out to dinner at a resturaunt by yourself?

17) For $35,000 USD, would you go for three months without washing, brushing your teeth, or using deodorant? Assume you could not explain your reasons to anyone until after the three months is up.

18) Would you be willing to have your left middle finger surgically removed if it 'somehow' guaranteed you immunity from all diseases?

19) You 'somehow' know for certain that you will die of an incurable disease within three months. Would you allow yourself to be cryogenically frozen *within the week* if you knew it would give you a modest chance of being revived in 1,000 years and living a greatly extended life?

20) You are leading 100 people in a survivalist situation, when suddenly your lives are in danger and you must choose between two courses of action. One would cause 10 of the people to die and everyone else would live, the other would have a 70% chance of saving everyone but were it to fail then everyone would die. Which would you choose?

Please quote the questions with your answers.

1) Would you be willing to spend a night alone in a remote house that is supposedly haunted, just for the sake of it? (knowing nothing more about the history of the house than that) There is no electricity though there is running water and other utilities, and you can bring your own flashlight and/or lantern and such. The nearest neighbors live 5 miles away.
    Just for the sake of it? No. I don't really get a rush out of that kind of thing.
    2) If a new medicine were developed that would cure arthritis but cause a fatal reaction in 1% of those who took it, would you want it to be released to the public?
    No. Only if the deaths would be greater by not releasing the drug would a 1% fatality rate be acceptable. I don't remember ever hearing of someone dying of arthritis...
    3) You discover that your wonderful one-year-old child is, because of a mix-up at the hospital, not yours. What would you do? Would you want to exchange the child to try to correct the "mistake"?
    I can't answer that. Just thinking about the situation isn't anything like being in it and I can't begin to guess how I'd react.
    4) Would you accept $1,000,000 in U.S. dollars (or the equivalent in whatever currency) to leave your country and never set foot in it again?
    Sure. I have no loyalty to my country, and the equivalent of $1,000,000 can go a long way in some countries.
    In a heartbeat. I think everyone is curious what it's like to be the opposite sex on a subconscious level at the least.
    6) (For this question, if you're currently in a mate relationship then answer as if you were single) You have the chance to meet someone with whom you can have the most satisfying love imaginable -- the stuff of dreams. However, you know that in six months the person will have sex with someone else, and then when you eventually find out they will leave you for them and want nothing more to do with you. Knowing the pain that would follow, would you still want to meet the person and fall in love and experience the 6 months of bliss? You would forget your foreknowledge of the events in store for you, too.
    I'm all for absolute bliss. Besides, life sucks anyway, why not go for the good times because you don't know if not meeting that person would result in misery, do you?
    7) If you knew of a way to use your estate, following your death, to greatly benefit all of humanity, would you do it and leave only a minimal amount (10%) to your family?
    Let's see, all humanity or a few people? Duh! I would go with the greater good, so humanity wins that choice easily.
    8) Would you be willing to murder an innocent person if it would 'somehow' end all hunger in the world?
    No. I read 'somehow' as all life being extinguished. So not only have I personally taken a life (not too desirable), but I've also cause the imminent extinction of all life on earth. But I'm well known for being quirky and pessimistic.
    9) Would you rather be given $10,000 for your own use, or be able to give $1000 anonymously to 100 strangers? You can't pick who it's given to, though you know that all of the people could really use the money.
    My own use. With my luck, all 100 people would get $10 and that wouldn't do them much good, would it?
    10) Would you be willing to give up half of what you now own (randomly selected) for a pill that would permanently change you so that one hour of sleep each day would fully refresh you?
    Half of what I own for a fraction of extra time in the day? Probably not because the "random" choices would likely all be stuff that I kind of need. Like my car so I can get to work, and my computer so I can do work. Besides, an extra 7 hours a day would be boring if I lost my computer.
    11) If the person you were engaged to marry had an accident and became a paraplegic, would you go through with the marriage or back out of it?
    If I even considered not going through with it, could I really say I loved them enough to marry them in the first place?
    12) You are offered $1,000,000 USD (or the equivalent in whatever currency) for the following act: Before you are ten pistols -- only one of which is loaded. You must pick up one of the pistols, point it at your forehead, and pull the trigger. If you can do this and walk away you do so a millionaire. Would you accept the risk?
    Better odds than the lottery, I'd say. Besides, if you guess wrong then you probably won't find out about it and you were too unlucky to live a fruitful life anyway.
    13) Someone very close to you is in pain, paralyzed, and you 'somehow' know for certain that they will die within a month. He begs you to give him a fast-acting, painless poison so that he can die. No one else would ever know. Would you?
    No. Intuition is a bad judge of what's going to happen. And something amazing could possibly happen in that month. Why would I deny that person the chance of one last good thing happening?
    14) If you could have free, unlimited service for five years from an extremely good cook, chauffeur, or masseuse, which would you choose?
    I'd have no preference. If they're extremely good then does it really matter who it is?

[edit]
    I totally misinterpreted this question. I would go with the cook.
    [/edit]
    No.
    No.
    17) For $35,000 USD, would you go for three months without washing, brushing your teeth, or using deodorant? Assume you could not explain your reasons to anyone until after the three months is up.
    No, I really wouldn't want to risk my health for a little bit of money. My health is all I have.
    18) Would you be willing to have your left middle finger surgically removed if it 'somehow' guaranteed you immunity from all diseases?
    I don't like these 'somehow' questions, and for the same reasons as the world hunger question I'll answer with an emphatic no.
    19) You 'somehow' know for certain that you will die of an incurable disease within three months. Would you allow yourself to be cryogenically frozen *within the week* if you knew it would give you a modest chance of being revived in 1,000 years and living a greatly extended life?
    No, thank you. I'd rather take what I have now than gamble with the future.
    20) You are leading 100 people in a survivalist situation, when suddenly your lives are in danger and you must choose between two courses of action. One would cause 10 of the people to die and everyone else would live, the other would have a 70% chance of saving everyone but were it to fail then everyone would die. Which would you choose?
    Guarantee 90% survival, or have a 30% risk of losing everyone in an attempt to save them all? Assuming the choices are mutually exclusive, I would go with trying to save everyone. I would rather let fate decide than try to play god.
    Last edited by Prelude; 05-19-2004 at 01:52 PM.
    My best code is written with the delete key.

I found these questions on sciforums.

20 Hypothetical Questions.

1) No way man, thats how horror movies start..

2) sure, all kinds of medocine are released to public that are seriously harmful to potential users. thats why they say consult physician first. I took acutane, for acne when i was a teenager. It *coulda* killed me, but didnt.

3) yes

4) of course, Id move to canada while I compounded the money with stocks and other investments, then buy my own small island, and have it outfitted with oc12 internet connection

5) yes, and Id never leave my room....

6) of course. Better to have loved then lost then never have loved at all. (thats not MY reason, my reason is more gratuitous)

7) I plan to be burried with my wealth, I firmly believe you gotta earn what you have.

8) Can it be one of the people I've already murdered?

9) Thats dumb, id take it. And give out what I felt was appropriate to whom i deemed appropriate

10) yes.

11) Back out of it. Im a shallow jackass

12) no, I already have a million from the previous question

13) this is called assisted suicide, its not very hypothetical at all. yes.

14) which ever one involves more sex

15) no, do it all the time

16) yes, but not fast food

17) I go several days already, a month is no problem.

18) Thats the D key of home row man. tough call, depends on if i was sick at the time

19) yes?

20) I only company myself with moral respectable people, who any of which in a situation would be first to volunteer to die for good of the rest of us. 10

too much thread to do that..

asdfasdfasdfasdfasdfasdf
    c++->visualc++->directx->opengl->c++;
    (it should be realized my posts are all in a light hearted manner. And should not be taken offense to.)

Nah, I'd be bored.
    No, I don't have arthritis so I don't care .
    You cannot answer a question like that unless you are going through it.
    Depends. Do I know the language in the other country? Will I have a chance to pay back 1,000,000 and come back ?
    Depends on if anyone else found out .
    Sure, yeah.
    I would leave it to humanity. 10% might still be a lot........I might die a billionare!
    No....see, I have a plan that cures two things: world hunger and too many homeless people - eat the homeless people! Now, do I get the Darwin Award or the Nobel?
    Me, then give money to people I know.
    Maybe....I don't really own that much at the moment .
    Once again, you couldn't answer that without it happening.
    Sure, as long as they don't make it a god damn reality show.
    It depends on his mental state.
    Cook - I can drive my own damn car, thank you!
    Nope.
    Nope
    No.
    I'm not expecting to die from the Black Plague anytime soon, so no.
    Nah, we'll probably all be dead in 1,000 years anyway.
    Do I like the people? Could I possibly die, too?
    Last edited by Lurker; 05-19-2004 at 01:36 PM.
    Do not make direct eye contact with me.

Would you be willing to spend a night alone in a remote house that is supposedly haunted, just for the sake of it? (knowing nothing more about the history of the house than that) There is no electricity though there is running water and other utilities, and you can bring your own flashlight and/or lantern and such. The nearest neighbors live 5 miles away.
    Alone or with friends? With other people sure.

Sure, if they dont want to take it its their beef.

I dont have a kid so i dont know, but it would highly depend on the age of the child. To say no would be selfish, you have to think of the child.

Bahamas here i come.

Shower here i come. Erm, :cough: yes.

Nah, i'll pass.

Blood first.

No.

I'm selfish.

ok thats ebnough

Popular pages Recent additions subscribe to a feed