Thread: TELL me WHY!!!

TELL me WHY!!!

Ok second rant of the year:

Ok so i go into work today, they are upgrading our servers to windows ME. Upgrading?? Ok somethings wrong here, we HAD 2k server on there. So i ask what hes doing (hes the new blood, new techie), and he tells me he was told too by Dave.

Ok let me tell you about Dave. Dave is a no-girl, pimpled up, know everything, vb loving, rubber doll hugging, ...ok you get the idea, daves a dick.

Dave told him that win2k needed to be removed due to security issues, and to take the server to winME. Dave also told him NOT to back anything up, it was infected with a virus....

I get one hour lunch breaks, and thats where i was when this happend. Dave is not in charge of the IT department, I am (for the most part, our manager is never there). So dave is messing with the new guy, real funny.

So anyway i tell him to stop, the drives been wiped, i tell him to power it off and go on break, and its not his fault.

Lets go visit Dave! Dave thinks this is funny, and he leaves because hes done for the day.

Long story short i was in charge, so I had to stay three extra hours to ensure everything got back to normal.

My question is, do i fire dave, as i can do that. Its not his first offense, and hes a prick...

Fire him. You've got nothing to lose. If you don't act, he'll think he can continue on with this. Chances are you'll probably never see the poor SOB again, and all that matters is yourself when making a decision, and YES THAT IS TRUE. Any time you decide on something, or have an emotion, its all about YOU. We like to think we really care about other people and not ourselves. When you do nice things for people, are you really doing it to make them feel good? Or are you doing it to make YOURSELF feel good about doing something nice?

Get my point? That can apply to everything.

FIRE HIM! People like him have no place.

To make him feel better, you don't actually fire him. You just make conditions very HARD for him. Hard enough for him to quit. He'll know that you are doing it to make him quit, but you never admit to it. It'll be like an unspoken fact.

hmm think i'll ask my superviser first, for his opinion on it.

Firing is harsh, Dave needs a kick in the ASS.

You and your supervisor should write up a WRITTEN warning and have him sign it. This should scare the S* outta him and make him realize that it is NOT a funny thing.

Tell him this is a perminent record and another one will mean suspension and possible termination.
    My Avatar says: "Stay in School"

Rocco is the Boy!
    "SHUT YOUR LIPS..."

Originally posted by Ride -or- Die
    Ok let me tell you about Dave. Dave is a no-girl, pimpled up, know everything, vb loving, rubber doll hugging, ...ok you get the idea, daves a dick.
    LMAO

Wow, only 8 days in and already two rants, you may set the all time records for rants in a year. Heck you may of already tied it.

I dont know if firing him right now would be a good idea. Show him you are the boss, push him around a bit, show him that he isnt God, and that a mistake WILL cost him. I think making him aware of your opinion MAY change his attitude.
    -MethodMan-

Your Move:Life is a game, Play it; Life is a challenge, Meet it; Life is an opportunity, capture it.

Homepage: http://www.freewebs.com/andy_moog/home.html

When you engage in some sort of retribution, make sure you do NOT hold back. When you strike, strike hard. It would be better to not acknowledge his little "joke" than to give him a small punishment, imo. Don't hold back!

Agreed with OneStiff on this one.

May be a little too PC, but there are procedures, lest you end up sitting in an NLRB courtroom, or mediating with EEOC.

Garbage, of course, but real world.

(Sigh)

-Skipper
    "When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail." Abraham Maslow

Hmm, thnx for the advice, i think i'll take it and write the report.

RoD, definitely abide by the company procedures on whatever you do.

My opinion is that any IT professional that thinks Win ME is an upgrade from 2K needs to be carried around back and beaten about the head and neck. How did that guy actually get that job when there's plenty of qualified people out there looking for positions?
    Wandering aimlessly through C.....

http://dbrink.phpwebhosting.com

Revenge is a dish best served cold.
    Give him a pay cut, and increase his required hours. Eventually he might just quit on his own that way he gets no benefits as well . Go for it, this guy doesn't deserve to work in a job like that, he's not mature enough.
    PHP and XML
    Let's talk about SAX

Blank
    What's the name of your company? You can fire him
    and give me the job

The company is Gateway; The tech knew that it was insane, but being his first day did not want to argue with the seniority giving him orders, can't say i blame him.

Hire someone to break his kneecaps.

Either that or write him up like OSR said

in spite of of the harsh treatment i think dave deserves...

...upgrade to windows ME... thats funny stuff...
    I came up with a cool phrase to put down here, but i forgot it...

Funniest man in this seat minesweeper's Avatar
    Despite what you might want to do with this guy, sack him or break his kneecaps (nice one Govt ), always play things by the book. If not you might find yourself hawled in front of a tribunal, never a good thing to have on your CV.

Popular pages Recent additions subscribe to a feed