Thread: Bios

Jeff

Question Bios

Hi all, i just bought a new laptop and just loaded windows, i went to go into the bios to look at the settings but it's passwork protected, is there anyway to get around the password or do i have to try and get in contact with the guy i bought it from? Thanks for any help.

you probably should contact that guy

failing that, if you're really careful, you might find a round silvery battery somewhere in your laptop's circuitry. take it out and wait a good length of time. put it back in and your problem is solved.

Christian
    Try to conntect the guy first.

Failing that there might be a jumper that will allow you to remove the password. You just have to know witch one.
    I shall call egypt the harmless dragon

-Isaiah 30.7

Heh yeah, contact the guy first

If it was a standard tower PC, I'd say go for it and just reset the battery/clear it with the jumper. But since it's a laptop there is just too much risk of messing things up.

contact the guy, unless you stole it...
    'During my service in the United States Congress, I took the initiative in creating the Internet.' - Al Gore, March 9, 1999: On CNN's Late Edition

Did anyone mentioned contact the guy?

But seriously, contact him. The password may also be on the manual somewhere where it discusses BIOS features or on the seller's booklet... or it can be your seller's firm name.
    Regards,
    Mario Figueiredo
    Using Borland C++ Builder 5

Read the Tao of Programming
    This advise was brought to you by the Comitee for a Service Packless World

Yes, contact the guy ....

screw the contact... take the thing apart and yank the battery for a minute...

Depending on what BIOS you have (and version), there are a few programs out there that can reset the BIOS. I had to do this with one of the computers I had and it worked just fine.

I did some searching, CMOSpwd is the name of the program and is freely available for download from many sites like zdnet, etc.

Well on some motherboards you can remove the bios password by going to dos typing debug and typing the appropriate commands there.. It directly access the cosmos and makes alteration.. If you wana know ask....

Originally posted by vasanth
    Well on some motherboards you can remove the bios password by going to dos typing debug and typing the appropriate commands there.. It directly access the cosmos and makes alteration.. If you wana know ask....
    Far out man, that is grooooovy! I've always wanted to access the cosmos, and now I find out I can do it directly! Cosmos, here I come!
    Truth is a malleable commodity - Dick Cheney

The following can be typed into the Console/DOS Debug program "Debug". Open a console window and Type "Debug" you'll be prompted with a '-'. Type the following:

AWARD BIOS
    O 70 17
    O 71 17
    Q

PHOENIX BIOS
    O 70 FF
    O 71 17
    Q

GENERIC
    Invalidates CMOS RAM.
    O 70 2E
    O 71 FF
    Q
    Another method...

A
    MOV AX,0
    MOV AX,CX
    OUT 70,AL
    MOV AX,0
    OUT 71,AL
    INC CX
    CMP CX,100
    JB 103
    INT 20
    <RETURN>
    G
    Q
    I've tested the above Award Bios trick, and it works... Others, you're on your own to try, I have no guarantee that these will a) Work b) Screw you up even more.

A little late to the punch but I thought I would add few ords here. Some laptops, like IBM, Dell and a few other big name brands use multiple passwords. One for the system, one for the harddrive, one for the BIOS. The hard drive one is a particularly nasty one as removing the drive from the system and trying to access it is futile. Only recourse is to either pay a third party vendor to recover the passwordl, pay a third party vendor for a tool and do it yourself, or semd the drive in and get the password removed by the manufacturer....proof of purchase required in these cases.

BIOS Password and Locked Hard Disk Recovery

There is a tool out there that may be of assistance to you though and anyone else who is experiencing this issue. Not only for a lptop, but for a desktop system as well. Christophe Grenier has continued the development of CmosPwd which you can get here. It comes with the source code as well, so any interested parties can tweak the code to do whatever they want.

I realize this is late and probably no good the person who started this topic, but I figured the information might be helpful to someone.

Popular pages Recent additions subscribe to a feed