Thread: Clinton-Trump debate today

  1. #1
    (?<!re)tired Mario F.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Angola
    Posts
    8,445

    Clinton-Trump debate today

    I'm probably shooting in the dark here. But maybe one of you folks know. Was the last debate shown live on All Jazeera or BBC World?

    Over here it was shown live on a Portuguese speaking channel called RTP 3. However they had two translators (a male and female translating each of the candidates) that would speak on top of the candidates. It was impossible to watch and a major brain hurt. The cacophony of voices plus the bad translation that would often occur made me ragequit watching it after just 10 minutes.

    I'm looking for alternatives for today's debate. Unfortunately they don't make any of the American channels available here. As far as English speaking ones I'm bound to those two.
    Originally Posted by brewbuck:
    Reimplementing a large system in another language to get a 25% performance boost is nonsense. It would be cheaper to just get a computer which is 25% faster.

  2. #2
    Lurking whiteflags's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    9,612
    You can watch it on twitter live, maybe? U.S. Presidential Debate

  3. #3
    (?<!re)tired Mario F.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Angola
    Posts
    8,445
    Had to rush and subscribe to both channels since I couldn't find any information online on them both on whether they would show the debate. Was able to follow it on Al Jazeera. No chance to watch it online though. Too expensive the internet access around here to go for a 90 video feed. That would be roughly ~100 USD of internet cost.

    Good and tense debate. I always prefer the public questions debates. It's usually the only chance you get to see the real issues debated. And this one didn't prove it wrong. Fitness for job, international policy, domestic economy, health care, taxes, social problems...

    To me clearly Trump was the winner here. It's not only because expectations of him are so low that when he doesn't blow it and can level off with Hillary that makes him a winner. But also because I felt despite the initial minutes of an embarrassing attempt at sidestepping the tape issue, he was able to put Hillary against the corner on quiet a few issues. And she just shown her difficulty dealing with it. I', talking about the wikileaks, the emails, the Russians are hacking us nonsense, the tax evasion when he masterfully stroke with "yes, I did it! I evaded taxes. Because I could. Because it was legal. And so did your friends such and such because you never did anything to close that loophole in all those 30 years you have been in office and have been all talk but no action because it benefits your friends too." (paraphrased) Heck, he was even able to wave a hand at Sanders electorate on two occasions during the debate (who, I must remind the distracted, hate Hillary)... just 2 days after the tape!

    Three feelings I get from all this:
    1.
    Many Republicans must be wondering if they shouldn't have shutup when the tape came out, instead of coming out after the man in the vicious way they did. Not only he was able to focus on the distaste they have for Hillary, but also because if I'm not mistaken, the whole tape issue died with this debate. Both it and the press conference a few hours before killed any possibility of Hillary to make good use of this topic.

    2.
    I wonder how many Democrats must be (or already have) facepalming on how on hell is it possible that against such a abhorrent candidate they have to struggle to keep the campaign on top in the polls. And how many haven't already realized that Hillary Clinton was (is) positively the worse choice for a presidential candidate. That she should have never got elected. It's like the Tortoise and the Hare. Only the Tortoise in this story is also stupid, ignorant, xenophobic, and primitive. But the Hare still has to run at full speed to win the race. It makes no sense. But that's how bad Hillary is as a presidential candidate against such a poor opponent.

    3.
    Many of you fellow Americans wonder how you got to this sad spectacle. How did your country get to this state that you have these candidates to choose from. And I agree. It's embarrassing. It even makes me feel embarrassed sometimes. But let me tell you something else that may make you feel a little better about the whole thing: It's still damn better than what we have in Europe. It may feel like a circus, but that circus still makes a lot more sense than the stiff wearisome politically-correct and faux politics in the old continent. The day you elected the first African-American to become president of the United States, I felt envious of your politics and humbled by the lesson you gave to the European racism. And despite the circus of the 2016 presidential election I still feel envious of how much more vibrant and alive your politics are in comparison to ours. And, perhaps much more important, how they so clearly reflect your society and how much you yourselves can learn from it by looking at your own candidates. We don't have that. We know nothing -- and I mean nothing! -- about our own countries.
    Last edited by Mario F.; 10-09-2016 at 09:50 PM.
    Originally Posted by brewbuck:
    Reimplementing a large system in another language to get a 25% performance boost is nonsense. It would be cheaper to just get a computer which is 25% faster.

  4. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    3,445
    It's all just a show. The election is a tool used by the establishment, along with professional sports, popular music, television, and movies, to subdue and manipulate the populace. The outcome is already decided. The new "leader" has already been chosen. If you're not a (b|tr)illionaire (look up the Rothschild family), you don't have a say.
    What can this strange device be?
    When I touch it, it gives forth a sound
    It's got wires that vibrate and give music
    What can this thing be that I found?

  5. #5
    Make Fortran great again
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    1,413
    Vote for Johnson, is my only remark.

  6. #6
    Make Fortran great again
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    1,413
    Quote Originally Posted by Elkvis View Post
    It's all just a show. The election is a tool used by the establishment, along with professional sports, popular music, television, and movies, to subdue and manipulate the populace. The outcome is already decided. The new "leader" has already been chosen. If you're not a (b|tr)illionaire (look up the Rothschild family), you don't have a say.
    It really is just a show, because the president isn't as powerful a position as people think. A lot of people should've paid more attention in high school government classes about the roles/responsibilities of all the different political positions in the U.S.

    Summary: Presidential election, omg!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Meanwhile, in congress, where ........ really matters...

  7. #7
    and the hat of copycat stevesmithx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    587
    The outcome looks more like sliding towards Clinton. Despite what casual observation of the 2nd debate suggests, polls show 57% Clinton and 34% Trump. But I gotta say as an outsider, I am astonished these two have even qualified for a post that was once held by the likes of Lincoln, JFK, Roosevelt.. Maybe this has something to do with Trump's popularity, he just seems to be alien to the word "classy" compared to the greats that were once POTUS. Even though Trump weighs less on the "scandal" scale, I am yet to see Clinton losing her cool once on stage.

  8. #8
    and the hat of copycat stevesmithx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    587
    Quote Originally Posted by Epy View Post
    Vote for Johnson, is my only remark.
    My vote is for President Camacho!

  9. #9
    Make Fortran great again
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    1,413
    Feh, more worried about all the props CA has on the ballot this year. Lot of stuff going on, healthcare, death penalty, plastic bags, ammo purchasing, pot legalization, etc.

  10. #10
    (?<!re)tired Mario F.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Angola
    Posts
    8,445
    Quote Originally Posted by stevesmithx View Post
    But I gotta say as an outsider, I am astonished these two have even qualified for a post that was once held by the likes of Lincoln, JFK, Roosevelt..Maybe this has something to do with Trump's popularity
    I think it's got nothing to do with him. He's the symptom. We've lost the great leadership values of the past and are being ruled by people lesser than we are. When the great seat of power should only be reached by people greater than we are. We can see that all around the world. It's not just Trump, or Hillary, or Obama, or Bush. It is also figures like Schroder, Merkel, Sarkozy, Blair, Cameron, Berlusconi, Prodi, Puttin, ... a long list that I need to stop here. We even permit sad and pathetic comical figures like Juncker or Barroso to reach positions of power within our supranational organizations.

    There's been a systematic deterioration of democratic values that permits lesser individuals to climb the ladder of power and great individuals to refuse to participate or be removed from participation. Democracy is not rigged, but sick. A sickness that feeds on itself and corrodes future generations not allowing for the birth of great men or women that can change this downward spiral.

    The thing is that, despite all the divisions and all the problems facing American society, I see in the United States a comparatively stronger civil society, better informed and that is still not acting as an eco of politics. We don't have in Europe influential civilians participating in the deconstruction of political arguments like Americans do. We don't have influential writers, influential thinkers, influential civil organizations. Heck, we don't even have shows like John Oliver. So there's still hope across the ocean that they can eventually manufacture a way out of something black and sinister that has hit Europe longer than it has hit them and has corroded us beyond repair.
    Last edited by Mario F.; 10-10-2016 at 10:27 AM.
    Originally Posted by brewbuck:
    Reimplementing a large system in another language to get a 25% performance boost is nonsense. It would be cheaper to just get a computer which is 25% faster.

  11. #11
    Unregistered User Yarin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    2,158
    Quote Originally Posted by stevesmithx View Post
    polls show 57% Clinton and 34% Trump
    Lies, damned lies, and political polls.

    What poll are you referring to? CNN's 500-person poll that oversampled Democrats?
    Because independent polls not undertaken by the establishment overwhelmingly show otherwise:
    Clinton-Trump debate today-gjqx2ty-jpg

  12. #12
    Registered User MutantJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    2,665
    Trump's ability to troll is worthy of admiration.

  13. #13
    Make Fortran great again
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    1,413
    Quote Originally Posted by Yarin View Post
    Lies, damned lies, and political polls.

    What poll are you referring to? CNN's 500-person poll that oversampled Democrats?
    Because independent polls not undertaken by the establishment overwhelmingly show otherwise:
    Thing to remember is that we have 320 million people, and these 500-2000 sample sizes are crap. Polls are useless, just wait for the big tamale.

  14. #14
    Make Fortran great again
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    1,413
    Quote Originally Posted by Mario F. View Post
    I think it's got nothing to do with him. He's the symptom. We've lost the great leadership values of the past and are being ruled by people lesser than we are. When the great seat of power should only be reached by people greater than we are. We can see that all around the world. It's not just Trump, or Hillary, or Obama, or Bush. It is also figures like Schroder, Merkel, Sarkozy, Blair, Cameron, Berlusconi, Prodi, Puttin, ... a long list that I need to stop here. We even permit sad and pathetic comical figures like Juncker or Barroso to reach positions of power within our supranational organizations.

    There's been a systematic deterioration of democratic values that permits lesser individuals to climb the ladder of power and great individuals to refuse to participate or be removed from participation. Democracy is not rigged, but sick. A sickness that feeds on itself and corrodes future generations not allowing for the birth of great men or women that can change this downward spiral.

    The thing is that, despite all the divisions and all the problems facing American society, I see in the United States a comparatively stronger civil society, better informed and that is still not acting as an eco of politics. We don't have in Europe influential civilians participating in the deconstruction of political arguments like Americans do. We don't have influential writers, influential thinkers, influential civil organizations. Heck, we don't even have shows like John Oliver. So there's still hope across the ocean that they can eventually manufacture a way out of something black and sinister that has hit Europe longer than it has hit them and has corroded us beyond repair.
    The problem is TV. That reality trash basically resulted in politics going the same way, i.e. focus on shock value, controversy, conflict, etc. That's what politics and all media is now -- basically overly dramatic reality drivel like Jersey Shore and other similar forms of diarrhea.

    The problem with thinking is that politics have become severely polarized because of previous point, and the advent of non-face-to-face communication makes it easier for people to generally disregard others' opinions. There's no reason to say "I disagree but respect your opinion" anymore because it's extinct. Social media has turned most everyone into Narcissists.

    Everyone I talk to is either like "Lolz Trump is big evil dumb businessman republi........ hurhur" or "Lolz Hillary is going to let the muslims take over the country and take all our guns away!"

    No one wants to sit back and look at both sides with objectivity. My personal opinion is that if you stand back and look at it with objectivity, Trump is an idiot with no business being president, and Hillary is a traditional (crooked) politician. She lost all respect from me after the email scandal, calling Trump supporters deplorables (see previous point about not respecting others' opinions), and collaborating with the DNC to suppress Bernie. If Bernie would've made it in the primary we'd have a good choice at least.

    Neither candidate has a shred of decency. Honestly we don't even need the position of president, we should just abolish it.

  15. #15
    Registered User MutantJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    2,665
    Time to start the revolution?

Popular pages Recent additions subscribe to a feed

Similar Threads

  1. Just another C vs C+ vs C++ debate
    By Elysia in forum A Brief History of Cprogramming.com
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 01-13-2009, 02:25 AM
  2. Who Won The Debate, and Why?
    By B0bDole in forum A Brief History of Cprogramming.com
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 10-10-2004, 04:26 AM
  3. Presidential Debate (US)
    By RoD in forum A Brief History of Cprogramming.com
    Replies: 86
    Last Post: 10-08-2004, 04:17 PM
  4. Hilary Clinton's Racist Comments
    By Leiarchy9 in forum A Brief History of Cprogramming.com
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 01-11-2004, 08:11 AM
  5. Clinton.
    By ygfperson in forum A Brief History of Cprogramming.com
    Replies: 72
    Last Post: 07-06-2002, 11:05 AM

Tags for this Thread