Thread: Would you guys gitter?

  1. #1
    Registered User MutantJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    2,665

    Would you guys gitter?

    If I started a gitter.im room for the cboard, would you join?

  2. #2
    Unregistered User Yarin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    2,158
    Quote Originally Posted by MutantJohn View Post
    If I started a gitter.im room for the cboard, would you join?
    I would join a cboard IRC

  3. #3
    Make Fortran great again
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    1,413
    I'd do either. Went to like Yarin's post and noticed the like button is gone...

  4. #4
    Unregistered User Yarin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    2,158
    And quick reply works for me again. I wonder if removing that feature was the easy solution to yesterday's downtime

  5. #5
    Registered User MutantJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    2,665
    I don't know how to do the IRC thing.

    XD

  6. #6
    (?<!re)tired Mario F.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    8,446
    I would most definitely join an IRC cboard channel on the spot.

    The problem with Gitter, or any similar solution, is that you may get a few folk uninterested. Particularly those who may not want to spend their time on business oriented interests (except maybe their own), when the free time-honored alternatives are working just fine and much more transparent to use. And especially on solutions that invite their users to fall prey to vendor lock-in.
    Originally Posted by brewbuck:
    Reimplementing a large system in another language to get a 25% performance boost is nonsense. It would be cheaper to just get a computer which is 25% faster.

  7. #7
    Registered User MutantJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    2,665
    Okay, well, until I figure out this whole IRC thing, here's the gitter link: LeonineKing1199/cboard - Gitter

    It's under my name because which is lame but yeah, we should start chattin', guys!

  8. #8
    Make Fortran great again
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    1,413
    Quote Originally Posted by MutantJohn View Post
    Okay, well, until I figure out this whole IRC thing, here's the gitter link: LeonineKing1199/cboard - Gitter

    It's under my name because which is lame but yeah, we should start chattin', guys!
    Several websites such as freenode will give you a free IRC channel, and they also have their own IRC client. Otherwise there are tons of free IRC clients, e.g. Pidgin, xchat, etc.

  9. #9
    Unregistered User Yarin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    2,158
    #cboard@irc.afternet.org

    Regulars and mods, Just ask and I'll op you

  10. #10
    Unregistered User Yarin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    2,158
    Quote Originally Posted by MutantJohn View Post
    I don't know how to do the IRC thing.
    IRC is easy, and you don't even have to register to talk.
    For example, here's the setup tutorial for a full-GUI client

  11. #11
    Lurking whiteflags's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    9,616
    A discord server would be cool. I've been using it a lot more than I ever did IRC, and yet it is similar enough to IRC.

  12. #12
    C++まいる!Cをこわせ!
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Inside my computer
    Posts
    24,654
    Quote Originally Posted by Yarin View Post
    #cboard@irc.afternet.org

    Regulars and mods, Just ask and I'll op you
    Whoa, that doesn't seem like a good idea. Mods I understand. But regulars? They're not mods.
    Another concern is how do you know it's not someone who's just using the same username?
    Quote Originally Posted by Adak View Post
    io.h certainly IS included in some modern compilers. It is no longer part of the standard for C, but it is nevertheless, included in the very latest Pelles C versions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Salem View Post
    You mean it's included as a crutch to help ancient programmers limp along without them having to relearn too much.

    Outside of your DOS world, your header file is meaningless.

  13. #13
    (?<!re)tired Mario F.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    8,446
    Quote Originally Posted by Yarin View Post
    #cboard@irc.afternet.org
    Just joined.

    View image: Screenshot from 2016 05 04 18 06 19

    Good server. It has full SSL support and you can bring in your own certificate if you wish. Also host hiding. Two features that dictate whether I join or not a server.
    I highly advise and it is a fun way to stay in touch with regulars outside the web board experience. I'll be sticking around. I use irc way more than the web anyways.
    Originally Posted by brewbuck:
    Reimplementing a large system in another language to get a 25% performance boost is nonsense. It would be cheaper to just get a computer which is 25% faster.

  14. #14
    Tweaking master Aslaville's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Rogueport
    Posts
    528
    Quote Originally Posted by Mario F. View Post
    Just joined.

    View image: Screenshot from 2016 05 04 18 06 19

    Good server. It has full SSL support and you can bring in your own certificate if you wish. Also host hiding. Two features that dictate whether I join or not a server.
    I highly advise and it is a fun way to stay in touch with regulars outside the web board experience. I'll be sticking around. I use irc way more than the web anyways.
    You forgot to request for ops!

  15. #15
    Lurking whiteflags's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    9,616
    Being an operator is overrated. I think many channels don't need as many as they have. (It's more important that someone is awake at all times.) Plus, generally only unpleasant individuals want the power.

Popular pages Recent additions subscribe to a feed

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-05-2008, 10:04 PM
  2. Thanks Guys...
    By frodonet in forum C Programming
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-03-2007, 08:16 PM
  3. do you guys have...
    By enjoyincubus in forum C Programming
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 10-31-2006, 10:14 PM
  4. ASP.NET, what do you guys think?
    By Kleid-0 in forum A Brief History of Cprogramming.com
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 01-30-2005, 02:30 PM
  5. OMG!!! You guys!!!
    By RoD in forum A Brief History of Cprogramming.com
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 04-04-2003, 10:17 PM