Thread: What should I learn next? (Web/Server development)

  1. #16
    Master Apprentice phantomotap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    5,108
    Also there are usually shim's available for backward compatibility, so I'm torn on whether learning ActionScript is a good investment of my time.
    O_o

    I strongly recommend you avoid learning ActionScript unless you plan on writing such shims.

    Soma
    “Salem Was Wrong!” -- Pedant Necromancer
    “Four isn't random!” -- Gibbering Mouther

  2. #17
    Registered User MutantJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    2,665
    What kind of apps were you thinking of making, Alpo? That might also help guide your learning.

  3. #18
    (?<!re)tired Mario F.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    8,446
    Flash is not a good idea. It's disappearing fast. Many security-conscious users refuse to allow it to run on their browsers, while web services are slowly removing it from their infrastructure. Google just recently announced they have removed it completely from their ad framework. BBC announced this week they are removing it too.

    The runtime is a constant security nightmare and people are just flocking away from it. That is most definitely a technology you are going to see disappearing very soon.
    Originally Posted by brewbuck:
    Reimplementing a large system in another language to get a 25% performance boost is nonsense. It would be cheaper to just get a computer which is 25% faster.

  4. #19
    Registered User Alpo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    877
    Quote Originally Posted by MutantJohn View Post
    What kind of apps were you thinking of making, Alpo? That might also help guide your learning.
    Mostly just regular websites of the type that small businesses and organizations use I guess. I have studied a few of them, but many are a bit old (they still work decently though IMO). They do things like Community event scheduling, different forms, viewing merchandise, etc.

    So I'm basically just looking at anything that might be useful to make and maintain a site like that on my own. It's probably unreasonable to expect to become great at doing everything that's related lol, but I want to know at least enough to know what's possible.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mario F.
    The runtime is a constant security nightmare and people are just flocking away from it. That is most definitely a technology you are going to see disappearing very soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by phantomotap
    I strongly recommend you avoid learning ActionScript unless you plan on writing such shims.

    I thought that might be the case, thanks for letting me know!
    Last edited by Alpo; 10-01-2015 at 09:32 PM.
    WndProc = (2[b] || !(2[b])) ? SufferNobly : TakeArms;

  5. #20
    Registered User MutantJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    2,665
    Out of curiosity, do you know Ampersand? I've been using it recently and it's actually kind of impressive what you can do with it.

    Edit: Or rather, I know a guy who's actually pretty crafty with it.

    He was able to code some pretty interactive client-side stuff pretty quickly with it. One of the cool things about it is because you need to compile it down for the browser, you can mixin a lot of other Node.js modules like Ramda and superagent.

    Edit edit: You can also be super naughty like I sometimes am an incorporate some VanillaJS in there. When you do it, it just feels so dirty. You're just like, oh, oh my, I'm being sooooo naughty right now XD
    Last edited by MutantJohn; 10-01-2015 at 10:10 PM.

  6. #21
    Unregistered User Yarin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    2,158
    Quote Originally Posted by MutantJohn View Post
    Out of curiosity, do you know Ampersand?
    Do you know the Ampersand? The Ampersand, the Ampersand. Do you know the Ampersand, who lives on the number row?

  7. #22
    Registered User MutantJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    2,665
    Quote Originally Posted by Yarin View Post
    Do you know the Ampersand? The Ampersand, the Ampersand. Do you know the Ampersand, who lives on the number row?
    Yeah, man! I made that one topic about C++ mixins in Node.js code but then I got distracted by sucking at Ampersand and asked if anyone knew but then I figured it out on my own and I kind of chronicled the whole thing.
    Last edited by MutantJohn; 10-01-2015 at 11:19 PM.

  8. #23
    and the hat of copycat stevesmithx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    587
    Quote Originally Posted by Yarin View Post
    Do you know the Ampersand, who lives on the number row?
    Surely you don't mean the address of the & himself who was just born as prophesied? May the * point you in the right direction.

    Sorry, couldn't resist.
    Last edited by stevesmithx; 10-01-2015 at 11:47 PM.

  9. #24
    Registered User Alpo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    877
    Quote Originally Posted by MutantJohn View Post
    Out of curiosity, do you know Ampersand? I've been using it recently and it's actually kind of impressive what you can do with it.

    Edit: Or rather, I know a guy who's actually pretty crafty with it.

    He was able to code some pretty interactive client-side stuff pretty quickly with it. One of the cool things about it is because you need to compile it down for the browser, you can mixin a lot of other Node.js modules like Ramda and superagent.

    Edit edit: You can also be super naughty like I sometimes am an incorporate some VanillaJS in there. When you do it, it just feels so dirty. You're just like, oh, oh my, I'm being sooooo naughty right now XD
    Do you mean this?: Ampersand.js - Home

    I had never heard of it before, but I like the idea of a template generator. Ifs it's simple enough anyway .

    Quote Originally Posted by Yarin
    Do you know the Ampersand? The Ampersand, the Ampersand. Do you know the Ampersand, who lives on the number row?
    Yeah, and he's the most crooked person living there, you can't trust him! Plus he hangs out around seven, who we all know eight nine, the cannibal.
    WndProc = (2[b] || !(2[b])) ? SufferNobly : TakeArms;

  10. #25
    Registered User MutantJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    2,665
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpo View Post
    Do you mean this?: Ampersand.js - Home

    I had never heard of it before, but I like the idea of a template generator. Ifs it's simple enough anyway .
    Yup, that's the one!

    It's an interesting framework. I wasn't super fond of it at first but I'm starting to like it now. One thing I suck at is doing the DOM bindings. Other than that, it's a pretty great way of handling HTML generation on-the-fly and doing event handling.

  11. #26
    and the hat of int overfl Salem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    The edge of the known universe
    Posts
    37,968
    There is so much I know nothing about
    If you dance barefoot on the broken glass of undefined behaviour, you've got to expect the occasional cut.
    If at first you don't succeed, try writing your phone number on the exam paper.

  12. #27
    C++ Witch laserlight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    27,727
    Quote Originally Posted by MutantJohn
    One thing I suck at is doing the DOM bindings.
    The innuendo is strong with this one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bjarne Stroustrup (2000-10-14)
    I get maybe two dozen requests for help with some sort of programming or design problem every day. Most have more sense than to send me hundreds of lines of code. If they do, I ask them to find the smallest example that exhibits the problem and send me that. Mostly, they then find the error themselves. "Finding the smallest program that demonstrates the error" is a powerful debugging tool.
    Look up a C++ Reference and learn How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

  13. #28
    Registered User Alpo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    877
    Quote Originally Posted by laserlight View Post
    The innuendo is strong with this one.
    I'm sure he was just tied up and just wanted to finish quickly. I mean the only important part of DOMs is being able to style sub elements with 50 shades of grey as a linear gradient. You need to be able to whip out samples of this constantly to stay on top.
    WndProc = (2[b] || !(2[b])) ? SufferNobly : TakeArms;

  14. #29
    Ticked and off
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    La-la land
    Posts
    1,728
    Anyone seen my 'trix?

  15. #30
    Unregistered User Yarin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    2,158
    Quote Originally Posted by MutantJohn View Post
    it can't hurt
    It hurts me.

    And not in the good way.

Popular pages Recent additions subscribe to a feed

Similar Threads

  1. Connection between proxy server and the server
    By vbx_wx in forum Networking/Device Communication
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-07-2011, 01:51 PM
  2. Send integers to server and server can read them?
    By rahul.hbk007 in forum C Programming
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-02-2010, 10:14 AM
  3. what language to learn for AI development and experiments
    By datainjector in forum General AI Programming
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 10-05-2009, 05:56 PM
  4. You have to learn C in order to learn C++
    By gandalf_bar in forum A Brief History of Cprogramming.com
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 07-16-2004, 10:33 AM
  5. C#: Server.Execute() and Server.Transfer()
    By Grayson_Peddie in forum Networking/Device Communication
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-24-2003, 06:50 PM