Thread: Your hobbies outside of computers

  1. #46
    Make Fortran great again
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    1,413
    Didn't think to post any videos before, so here are some (disclaimer, they're kind of lame, but I was having fun when I was doing them)

    Doing a short hill climb in my car: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFzzEZNw1hQ
    Off-road ride on my dual-sport: https://youtu.be/7nD3WEZuO6Q
    Last edited by Epy; 04-04-2015 at 09:28 PM.

  2. #47
    Registered User Alpo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    877
    Quote Originally Posted by Epy View Post
    Didn't think to post any videos before, so here are some (disclaimer, they're kind of lame, but I was having fun when I was doing them)

    Doing a short hill climb in my car: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFzzEZNw1hQ
    Off-road ride on my dual-sport: https://youtu.be/7nD3WEZuO6Q
    That is really pretty country, it almost looks like where I live. I've never understood why some people prefer big cities (aside from proximity to services I mean).
    WndProc = (2[b] || !(2[b])) ? SufferNobly : TakeArms;

  3. #48
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    19
    I enjoy reading books and listening to music.

  4. #49
    Ticked and off
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    La-la land
    Posts
    1,728
    I like cooking and baking. I've got several chefs in my family, and my cooking skills pale in comparison to what they do offhand..

    I've been developing my own cheesy-with-calabrese-salami lasagna recipe (starting from eggs, flour and olive oil), but thus far its best part is that it is made with love. Ahem. I mostly bake rolls and rustic bread, mostly just for fun and for the scent and fresh-from-the-oven goodness; the selection of fresh bread and rolls here beats my creations easily.

    Especially during the winter, it's nice to make a cup of hot coffee, tea, or cocoa, and have a roll fresh from the oven to go with it. Life's small pleasures.

  5. #50
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    3,226
    Quote Originally Posted by Nominal Animal View Post
    I like cooking and baking. I've got several chefs in my family, and my cooking skills pale in comparison to what they do offhand..

    I've been developing my own cheesy-with-calabrese-salami lasagna recipe (starting from eggs, flour and olive oil), but thus far its best part is that it is made with love. Ahem. I mostly bake rolls and rustic bread, mostly just for fun and for the scent and fresh-from-the-oven goodness; the selection of fresh bread and rolls here beats my creations easily.

    Especially during the winter, it's nice to make a cup of hot coffee, tea, or cocoa, and have a roll fresh from the oven to go with it. Life's small pleasures.
    I have always been jealous of people who can cook... I can only cook things with up to 4 ingredients, and I count water as an ingredient!

  6. #51
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    5
    I just take walk in the woods .It's the best way to interact with the natural environment.I like the cool wing blowing in the woods.

  7. #52
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    the c - side
    Posts
    373
    My last foray in to the wilds was stopped 7 miles out by a stubborn cow. Most cows tend to ignore you, but there had been some stories of ramblers being charged by cows and ending up badly injured. Unlike most cows, when I got to the fence it stared straight at me as if to say "What the hell are you doing here!", and when I pretended to look away for a few minutes and then looked back it was still staring at me.

    I decided to risk it, and went over the fence, and unlike any other cow, instead of moving away with my every step into the field it kept coming towards me. So it was either make a mad dash to the other side at some distance, or retreat.

    So I retreated. Only to find that 100 metres down the path I'd come up and needed to get back down, someone had let out another herd of about 20 cows onto what had previously been an empty field. Given that I had also been stalked by a bull on the way up in a field of cows on my left, it wasn't clear what else was down there.

    Tune into part 2 to find out if I survived.

  8. #53
    Ticked and off
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    La-la land
    Posts
    1,728
    Cows are prey animals, but protective of the herd. You have to make them understand you're not a danger before getting into their field.

    Their herd behaviour is surprisingly complex; they tend to have specific roles in the herd, best friends, and so on, so just having one of them ignore/accept you is not any good as an indicator. Tip: cows like calm, friendly human voices, humming and singing. They even produce more milk with music. I assume they've learned to consider humans that behave in a certain way as harmless/friendly, and relaxed human voices help them relax, too. Some people can moo at them to convey this, but I've always felt too silly to try.

    In Finland, most stay mostly indoors during the winter (although they do like the snow, and if possible, most do get breaks outside). They just love it when they get to go to pasture for the first time in the spring. They buck and jump like calves.. Near the cities, the farmers sometimes have an open-doors day then.

  9. #54
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    the c - side
    Posts
    373
    Well, I've never had a cow look at me that way before. It was more like the aggressive stare of a bull.

    Thankfully on the way back down, the other herd barely acknowledged my presence, and the bull was no where to be seen. But, yeah, I haven't had much experience handling cattle.

    The original idea was to go to a National Forest Park for a trek, then I had the brainwave that it would be even more adventurous to see if it was possible to walk to the park. But it proved a bit dodgy on a couple of fronts. Apart from the above, on the same occasion I almost inadvertently caused a car crash.

    I was walking along a minor road, and for some reason a motorist travelling on the other side to the one I was walking on decided to stop on a blind corner to tell me something. ( I think they were about to warn me of the dangers of walking there!)

    And a following car almost went into the back of them.

    What is true is that you had to be traffic aware on those roads all the time, so all in all with that and everything else it kinda turned from being a relaxing jaunt in the "wild" to something a whole lot less enjoyable.
    Last edited by gemera; 04-28-2015 at 06:59 PM.

  10. #55
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    16
    Hi, aside from internet browsing or anything computer related works, I always end up to my other fave hobby which is cooking. I would love to try new recipes for my family

  11. #56
    Ticked and off
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    La-la land
    Posts
    1,728
    Quote Originally Posted by shirleygreet View Post
    I would love to try new recipes for my family
    Next weekend is vappu here in Finland, and I've been thinking of trying to make some yummy naan bread with cucumber raita. Or perhaps with sliced cucumber in kermaviili (sour cream with 10% fat content or lower, perfect for dips and such). I'll probably omit the butter coating, to make it a bit lighter. I haven't made this myself yet, but a family member has a great recipe.

    Home-made salami pizza is probably the one even I cannot fail. I don't even have a pizza stone, just a plain ol' electric oven. Hey, cyberfish, you could try this, too! The dough is simple, and can be frozen (cold dough is slightly easier), and for the tomato sauce, I like a mix of sieved tomatoes and tomato puree. For the toppings, I like salamis best, but have tried just about any combination that has pickled my fancy; many leftovers work fine, too. Bacon in thin squares is yummy. For the dough, I've used all kinds of wheat flour, but I guess durum wheat works best. My palate is made of birch bark, so for cheeses, I like to go Edam (which is also basically the cheapest kind here). I also like to have some bell peppers, tomato bits, and maybe jalapenos or something, on my pizza. And season with oregano, of course.

    Oregano is, of course, something everyone should store in a zip-lock bag behind their spice rack. Just for the random occasion of confusion and fun it might cause. I don't have kids myself, however.

  12. #57
    Registered User Alpo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    877
    Quote Originally Posted by gemera View Post
    My last foray in to the wilds was stopped 7 miles out by a stubborn cow. Most cows tend to ignore you, but there had been some stories of ramblers being charged by cows and ending up badly injured. Unlike most cows, when I got to the fence it stared straight at me as if to say "What the hell are you doing here!", and when I pretended to look away for a few minutes and then looked back it was still staring at me.

    I decided to risk it, and went over the fence, and unlike any other cow, instead of moving away with my every step into the field it kept coming towards me. So it was either make a mad dash to the other side at some distance, or retreat.

    So I retreated. Only to find that 100 metres down the path I'd come up and needed to get back down, someone had let out another herd of about 20 cows onto what had previously been an empty field. Given that I had also been stalked by a bull on the way up in a field of cows on my left, it wasn't clear what else was down there.

    Tune into part 2 to find out if I survived.
    I used to live at a farm as a kid, and we had a bunch of cows and a few bulls. Once when I was out playing baseball with some of my cousins my dad was burning some trash and the fire got away from him and end up spreading across the whole field. The cows had clumped together and were bolting around the fence.

    We all wanted to go under the barbed wire and just run, but the cows could have trampled someone in the time it took to get completely under it. I think my dad ended up cutting the fence down to get everyone out. Anyway those cows look lazy but they can seriously bolt it when they want to .

    Quote Originally Posted by Nominal Animal;
    I assume they've learned to consider humans that behave in a certain way as harmless/friendly, and relaxed human voices help them relax, too. Some people can moo at them to convey this, but I've always felt too silly to try.
    I wonder what the cows would say if you could understand them though? I've always wondered this about animals, although in reality it's probably a lot more boring than one would hope. (Moo, this grass sucks, and my feet hurt. Moo. :P).
    WndProc = (2[b] || !(2[b])) ? SufferNobly : TakeArms;

  13. #58
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    4,509
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpo View Post
    I wonder what the cows would say if you could understand them though?
    Cow: "You know you have a steak in this! Don't milk your expectations of this experience. That would be udderly ridiculous!"

  14. #59
    Tweaking master Aslaville's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Rogueport
    Posts
    528
    Quote Originally Posted by cyberfish View Post
    I have always been jealous of people who can cook... I can only cook things with up to 4 ingredients, and I count water as an ingredient!
    Welp, happens when you are *toooo* nerdy. I can barely cook too.

  15. #60
    C++ Witch laserlight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    27,794
    I cannot even cook the books
    Quote Originally Posted by Bjarne Stroustrup (2000-10-14)
    I get maybe two dozen requests for help with some sort of programming or design problem every day. Most have more sense than to send me hundreds of lines of code. If they do, I ask them to find the smallest example that exhibits the problem and send me that. Mostly, they then find the error themselves. "Finding the smallest program that demonstrates the error" is a powerful debugging tool.
    Look up a C++ Reference and learn How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Popular pages Recent additions subscribe to a feed

Similar Threads

  1. I don't get >8 bit computers
    By jrahhali in forum Tech Board
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 02-09-2006, 11:15 AM
  2. Can Computers Think?
    By Ben_Robotics in forum A Brief History of Cprogramming.com
    Replies: 78
    Last Post: 07-04-2003, 12:14 PM
  3. Future of computers...
    By JaWiB in forum A Brief History of Cprogramming.com
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 04-19-2003, 02:13 PM
  4. First computers
    By itld in forum A Brief History of Cprogramming.com
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-15-2001, 08:30 AM
  5. quantum computers anyone?
    By buck71 in forum A Brief History of Cprogramming.com
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-24-2001, 11:31 AM