Tonight I was surfing through my backed up files on cd and found this project I completly forgot I was working on. Its a pong clone, thats obvious but ads some really unimpressive features.
The thing is I found it and it was still in the menu development phase no game code was actually implemented so I pounded it out tonight in a couple hours. The problem is that I didnt implement any of the graphic improvments from the menu in the actual game and the code for the game is pretty horrendus. The source is being included to encourage who ever is crazy enough to rummage through it to make improvements or heaven forbid *learn from it.
Screen shot of the only impressive thing: http://www.jeremygiberson.com/images/spacepongshot.jpg
The download is an astonishing size for a pong clone, but its because of the texture files. The direct download is here http://www.jeremygiberson.com/downloads/SpacePong.zip
There is the cookie, if you wait long enough after either yourself or teh computer wins. You could cheat and veiw the texture in a graphic editor as well. edit: or view this old thread http://cboard.cprogramming.com/showthread.php?t=65597
Things I wanted to improve:
All around code, half way through the project I stopped trying to be object oriented and just started "making it work". Theres a lot of functionality if handled better could be completly independent of everything else.
AI is as basic as possible, the only way to win is not lose long enough for the ball to start moving faster then the computers paddle can move. I would have liked to do a kind of timed "look", where a more human like visual aquity could be emulated. Every few seconds (similar to a humans visual recognition time) look where the ball is, and move accordingly. Also, add in random miscalculation in the balls location or paddle moving to simmulate human error.
I wanted to add shaders to the paddle and balls to make them more visually impressive. Kind of plasma / eletrical like effects.
I wanted to add powerups for the paddles, and ball.
I wanted to add network code for online play with other players.
Currently, theres a bit of debug info being printed to the screen, I need to remove it.
Theres some other stuff too.
Many thanks do go out to the tutorial sites like nehe, and gameprogrammingtutorials, thats where I learned all the opengl specific stuff. This game canabalizes the template code from several of their tutorials. Generally I never copy/paste code, but this project was meant to be a quick one when I started. I'll have to suffer the title of hypocrit on this project I guess lol. It would have came out a lot prettier and easier to understand for others If I hadn't been so disconcerned about propper programming ettiqite(how do you spell this word).
Any way, i'll be more then happy to answer to any criticisms or questions you have about the game.