Thread: operators

  1. #1


    hi guys,

    what do you call this '<<' and this '>>' operators in C++ ?


  2. #2
    aren't they overload operators? I'm pretty sure that's what they're called.

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    I believe they are call insertion and extraction operators (I am assuming you're not referring to the bit-shift operators)

  4. #4
    Registered User Mario's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    They are usually called "put to" and "get from" respectively. Others like to call them inserters and extractors. It's more geekish that way

    No matter what your question is not innocent as it may seem. Fact is not even Stroustrup gave them a name. He keeps calling them the << operator and >> operator.
    Mario Figueiredo
    Using Borland C++ Builder 5

    Read the Tao of Programming
    This advise was brought to you by the Comitee for a Service Packless World

Popular pages Recent additions subscribe to a feed

Similar Threads

  1. Logical Operators in C++
    By Flecto in forum C++ Programming
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-15-2009, 07:17 AM
  2. Bolean Operators hurt my head. (Trouble understanding) :(
    By Funcoot in forum C++ Programming
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-20-2008, 07:42 PM
  3. operators???
    By arjunajay in forum C++ Programming
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 06-25-2005, 04:37 AM
  4. Operators
    By George in forum C++ Programming
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-02-2003, 07:35 PM
  5. operators operands
    By verb in forum C Programming
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-13-2002, 07:04 PM