I checked in all of the folders for the text file but it never materialized. Anyway, i finally figured it out.. i finally tried something different, i used argv[0]'s string, cut off the file name, then added the new file name to the end of it and everything worked fine. no clue where the phantom potential 'default' directory might have been cause all those other tries never materialized crap.. now i can drag multiple files straight into my exe and parse/delete as I please (within the windows command line arguement passing limit that is, which is more than enough, like 20 files at a time or something). sorry for confusing people and thanks for your time.