Thread: simple proxy

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    11

    simple proxy

    Hi all, I have to program a proxy who will accept connections from multiple clients. The proxy must identify the client with logins and passwords stocked in a file. The clients tranfer blocks of 100 characters to the proxy. The proxy push those blocks in a circular buffer and then send the blocks to the server at a slower rate. The proxy has to tell the clients to wait or continue when the circular buffer is full or empty. Also, the server has to check the crc of each block.

    Anyone knows about some examples ???

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Gawking at stupidity
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Oregon, USA
    Posts
    3,218
    How did you land this job? You don't even know where to begin.
    If you understand what you're doing, you're not learning anything.

  3. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Ontario Canada
    Posts
    9,547
    Now THAT'S what I call "in over your head"....

    Sockets, ACLs, buffering, rate difference, dogpile arbitration and content validation...

    Good luck with that.

  4. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    California
    Posts
    3,267
    Quote Originally Posted by itsme86 View Post
    How did you land this job? You don't even know where to begin.
    It's not a job, that's a classic homework assignment. I had to do the same type of thing when I was in school. Of course it's a little scary that he has no idea where to start considering this type of assignment would not be given in an entry level course...
    bit∙hub [bit-huhb] n. A source and destination for information.

  5. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Ontario Canada
    Posts
    9,547
    Quote Originally Posted by bithub View Post
    It's not a job, that's a classic homework assignment. I had to do the same type of thing when I was in school. Of course it's a little scary that he has no idea where to start considering this type of assignment would not be given in an entry level course...
    That would be what? 3rd year? And by then he should be off to the races with it...

  6. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    11
    This is an assignment !

    I'm ok with socket and circular buffer. But I know I will have some problems with threads. I will probably find a way to slow the rate and calculate crc with some research. What would really help me is an example of multithreaded server.

  7. #7
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Ontario Canada
    Posts
    9,547
    Google is your friend.

  8. #8
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Poland
    Posts
    733
    Quote Originally Posted by trooper View Post
    This is an assignment !

    I'm ok with socket and circular buffer. But I know I will have some problems with threads. I will probably find a way to slow the rate and calculate crc with some research. What would really help me is an example of multithreaded server.
    Here we go:
    Download - The Apache HTTP Server Project
    In case you cannot find it yourself:
    http://apache.privatejetscharter.net...-win32-src.zip


    The way you specify your problem proves that you have never made any assignment on your own and you have absolutely no idea about socket programming at all.

    Now it's a bit too late.

Popular pages Recent additions subscribe to a feed

Similar Threads

  1. proxy.pac (proxy auto config) question
    By boreder in forum C Programming
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-20-2009, 03:13 AM
  2. Force connection through proxy
    By ShadowBeast in forum C# Programming
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-02-2007, 01:35 PM
  3. Connecting through a proxy...
    By jverkoey in forum Networking/Device Communication
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-20-2005, 11:53 AM
  4. Binary Search Trees Part III
    By Prelude in forum A Brief History of Cprogramming.com
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 10-02-2004, 03:00 PM