new Opera mini - web browser for any java enabled mobile
Just like the title says :D
Some quick features:
- it's about 100k of java binary thus being compatible with nearly any java enabled mobile phone.
- uses a single server-client connection, therefore reducing latency to an extreme
- the server(above) is hosted by Opera, which stores your history, cookies, cache whatever
- the same server is the one that fetches webpages and all associated content (has larger bandwidth duh! ;) ) , renders the page to fit your mobile's screen using Opera's ERA technology (no horizontal scrollbars), compresses (with gzip) the final product and ships it to your mobile, in that same single server-client connection
- disadvantages: well you have to download it to your mobile - see the site for instructions
- advantages: works on nearly any mobile with java, reduces traffic a lot (those gprs bills will lose weight), and its networking is much more faster than any average mobile browser. It support all major web standards that Opera for desktop supports: HTML 4.01, XHTML1.0, CSS2.1, SVG tiny, ECMAScript, DOM2 ...
- and IT'S FREE :eek:
And for the Opera addicted: there's a tech preview of Opera 9, which you can try - remember though it's only a test release therefore unstable and buggy.