PDA

View Full Version : Show us your keyboard!

glo
02-19-2008, 01:48 PM
Hello there!

Keyboard. Such an essential tool these days.

So how do you like yours? Ergonomically curved? Loaded with function buttons? Minimal and portable? Old school XT style? Stephen Hawking's mind reading magic?

Would really like to hear about your keyboard habbits people.
Thanks.

Elysia
02-19-2008, 01:52 PM
Hmmm. Perhaps a picture of my current keyboard would tell lots. It's what I love.
http://www.prisjakt.nu/bilder/bild.php?st=2&p=45960
I hate any layout changes to the keys on the keyboard. Specifically, the enter (should be two rows), backspace (should be two buttons length), the placement of the Insert/Delete, Home/End, Page Up/Down keys (should be as in the picture).
Love the volume wheel. I can dynamically adjust volume without touching the speakers.
Multimedia buttons are nice. I don't always use them, but I do use some for the calculator, word and excel.

Mario F.
02-19-2008, 02:07 PM
Mine is a normal keyboard. A was-once-white USB keyboard. I like it. I don't need no fancy keyboard. It's something to be hammered at.

According to the World Health Organization my keyboard has more germs than my toilet set. I find that statement almost poetic.

Wraithan
02-19-2008, 02:09 PM
http://img.xcomputer.cz/ImgW.asp?cd=MA089&fd=f3

The best keyboard I have owned yet, it isn't very loud, has nice soft touch to the keys but enough that I don't accidentally hit keys when I am typing fast and brush another ( like my infernal laptop keyboard) plus it has the nice media keys.

cboard_member
02-19-2008, 02:13 PM
I've got a bog standard white-on-black keyboard and a minimal laptop-esque white one that lights up (sky blue) which I only really use for playing (certain) games in the dark.

Elysia
02-19-2008, 02:14 PM
http://img.xcomputer.cz/ImgW.asp?cd=MA089&fd=f3

The best keyboard I have owned yet, it isn't very loud, has nice soft touch to the keys but enough that I don't accidentally hit keys when I am typing fast and brush another ( like my infernal laptop keyboard) plus it has the nice media keys.

I hate those keyboards when they dumb down the height of the enter key. It makes it too hard to hit.
But maybe it's just me...

SlyMaelstrom
02-19-2008, 02:19 PM
I use a Logitech G11. It was a waste of money as I've yet to use its full functionality. Regardless, it looks pretty good with my blue lit case and my Logitech G5 mouse.

Prelude
02-19-2008, 03:03 PM
>So how do you like yours?
I like my keyboard to be loud when I type, and I especially liked the keyboards that had clicky sounding keys. Now I just jam the keys on my selected keyboard (below) to make noise. ;)

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/keyboards/keyboard/devices/285&cl=us,en

>Ergonomically curved?
I hate that crap. It's impossible for me to type with them. ;)

>Loaded with function buttons?
The more the better. I like to set up macros.

SlyMaelstrom
02-19-2008, 03:12 PM
I can just see Prelude programming her macro keys to write entire blocks of code instantaneously just to feel as though she wrote a complex program with only two dozen or so keystrokes.

For myself, however... the G11 offers three sets of function keys and I've yet to use the entire first set. ¬_¬

vart
02-19-2008, 03:17 PM
I'm ready to work with arbitrary keyboard. But there are several things I started to hate:

- Short backspace (always hit the button before it)
- missing del in 6 buttons above arrow key - I really do not know what idiot removed it from one of Logitech keabords making inseart 2 buttons hight (I'm using this del extensively for Shift-ins Cntrl-Ins Shift-Del combinations)
- power/reset buttons on keyboard. Anyway have to disable them - Who wants acidently press reset while looking for NumLock?

I'd like to have a feedback from buttons (like click but could be without noise - more touching filling in fingers) to know that the char is printed and I can stop pressing the button - I'm not always look at the screen to get this feedback

And It should not be too hard to press the buttons - it slows down the printing speed

SlyMaelstrom
02-19-2008, 03:19 PM
- missing del in 6 buttons above arrow key - I really do not know what idiot removed it from one of Logitech keabords making inseart 2 buttons hight (I'm using this del extensively for Shift-ins Cntrl-Ins Shift-Del combinations)That's the Media Elite keyboard. I also have that one... ... in the back of my closet.

zacs7
02-19-2008, 04:23 PM
On the subject of keyboards,

I've read many times before that it's okay to was your keyboard in the dishwasher (no heat drying of course).

Has anyone tried it...?

BTW, http://www.directron.com/internetprokb.html is my keyboard -- best one I've ever owned. On sale for $3.99 now :(

whiteflags
02-19-2008, 05:02 PM
My keyboard is pretty ballah. It's got a pretty straight layout and it came with my HP device. Never thought ergonomic stuff worked for me either.
It's about to turn into this though. Mine!

SMurf
02-19-2008, 05:10 PM
Assuming that you remove all the electronics from it first, then you should be left with plastic and rubber. Those should be fine to machine wash, although I've only hand-washed mine (an old Dell keyboard that had absorbed pretty much everything members of my family had been eating while using it).

Got all the crud off with a tub of warm soapy water and 20 mins out in the garden on a summer's day. :cool:

Currently I use one of these: http://www.enermax.co.uk/index.php?id=55&cat=12&subcat=58&product=147&L=0. Yes, I do have the silver model and yes, it was a mistake. Although it does look nice it's far too shiny. I've had to adjust the lighting around me to prevent blindness setting in. :o

Mario F.
02-19-2008, 05:11 PM
2 thumbs up, citizen! My kind of keyboard. I never liked fancy stuff either.

SlyMaelstrom
02-19-2008, 05:20 PM
Assuming that you remove all the electronics from it first, then you should be left with plastic and rubber. Those should be fine to machine wash, although I've only hand-washed mine (an old Dell keyboard that had absorbed pretty much everything members of my family had been eating while using it).Even the board should be fine to wash assuming you ensure everything is discharged before it touches water and you give it ample time to dry. Likely however, you'll have a great risk that it is not completely dry as I imagine there is something in the keyboard that would soak water. Anyway, I've heard of people washing power supplies, having them work afterwards.

ulillillia
02-19-2008, 06:23 PM
I prefer mine with the wide backspace key rather than the small one (if it's small, I miss it frequently causing extra things to backspace out). I generally have no preference as long as it has this wide backspace key, the print screen key (for taking screenshots, I use it a lot), and the numeric pad (I use it a lot a well, considering how many times I punch in numbers into the calculator).

Mario F.
02-19-2008, 06:24 PM
Why on earth would someone want to wash a power supply?

Dave_Sinkula
02-19-2008, 07:35 PM
My keyboard is pretty ballah. It's got a pretty straight layout and it came with my HP device. Never thought ergonomic stuff worked for me either.
It's about to turn into this though. Mine!Indoor smoking! That brings me back to a time a couple decades ago. My keyboard is pretty much Plain Jane.

tabstop
02-19-2008, 08:47 PM
Indoor smoking! That brings me back to a time a couple decades ago. My keyboard is pretty much Plain Jane.

So do you have a cubicle in your house or a cat in your office?

PING
02-19-2008, 09:08 PM
When i first saw the cat, i thought it was maxorator posting :P

P.S. Nice cat by the way.

Dave_Sinkula
02-19-2008, 10:14 PM
So do you have a cubicle in your house or a cat in your office?home "cube"

lightatdawn
02-19-2008, 11:15 PM
Even the board should be fine to wash assuming you ensure everything is discharged before it touches water and you give it ample time to dry. Likely however, you'll have a great risk that it is not completely dry as I imagine there is something in the keyboard that would soak water. Anyway, I've heard of people washing power supplies, having them work afterwards.

I spilled beer on one once. I figured the damage was done regardless so I litterally ran the whole kit and kaboodle under the tap for a while, then flipped it upside down and left it in my closet for weeks. I've got tons of keyboards so I didn't really miss it. Months later and I'm typing on it now. Power Supplies on the other hand...

VirtualAce
02-20-2008, 12:01 AM
My keyboard is just the run of the mill black keyboard from Micro Innovations. It looks like Wraithan's except all black and doesn't have the arrow pad thingy at the left.

Bad thing about this keyboard is that some genius decided to place Home, End and all those vertically instead of horizontally.

So you have this:

Home,End
PgUp,PgDn
Insert,Delete

My keyboard on my Dev box at work has them arranged horizontally. So I'm forever using the wrong key for those. I always hit insert at home thinking im hitting delete. Quite annoying.

vart
02-20-2008, 12:13 AM
Bad thing about this keyboard is that some genius decided to place Home, End and all those vertically instead of horizontally.

Saw once keaboard like this. Lucky for me - havn't had to work on it...

novacain
02-20-2008, 12:26 AM
My favorite keyboard was a very old COMPAC AT5 pin (made ~1995). Great feel to the keys.

Had to change it with my last system as I wore out the 'e' key.....

Neo1
02-20-2008, 09:51 AM
Why on earth would someone want to wash a power supply?

They can be quite dirty at times..

http://img151.imageshack.us/img151/2591/naughtypsuoq3.jpg

Hehe, but seriously:

http://www.comp-u-sultants.com/images/dirty-power-supply.jpg

Mario F.
02-20-2008, 10:58 AM
yes... but. It amazes me someone actually thinking they should wash their power supply instead of... you know... vacuum it.

Neo1
02-20-2008, 11:06 AM
yes... but. It amazes me someone actually thinking they should wash their power supply instead of... you know... vacuum it.

Well in theory, you could submerge an entire PC into a tank of water, let it dry, and it _should_ start right up with no problems.... Vacuuming electrical parts can be risky afaik, something about static electricity...

Mario F.
02-20-2008, 11:35 AM
Now that you mention it... my TV is rather dirty inside. Think I'm gonna wash it. You can catch me up later on the Darwin Awards

PING
02-20-2008, 12:12 PM
You can catch me up later on the Darwin Awards

I think the Darwin Awards are given only to dead people :)

Mario F.
02-20-2008, 12:13 PM
precisely.

Neo1
02-20-2008, 12:16 PM
Now that you mention it... my TV is rather dirty inside.

Do you often check how messy the inside of your TV set is? ^^

Okay okay, you are right, it's lunacy, still quite funny though...

Hmm, this box with wires and chips in it is quite dirty, i'll just give it a quick spin in the dishwasher then...