PDA

View Full Version : Recommend a compiler and IDE for C/C++

bpasternak
02-13-2008, 11:17 AM
Hello everyone. I'm guessing this is the best place to post this request....

I've been away from C/C++ programming for over 12 years...I've been programming perl and php mostly. Now, I'm fooling around with pic controllers and I'm realizing that I need to get back to my roots.

Can anyone recommend a good compiler and IDE for C/C++ that will work in the Windows environment? I used to use EditPad Pro but I don't know if theres something else better.

Thanks,
Brian

laserlight
02-13-2008, 11:21 AM
Take a look at cpwiki's entry on IDEs (http://cpwiki.sourceforge.net/Integrated_Development_Environment).

bpasternak
02-13-2008, 11:23 AM
Thank you Laserlight for the info and link. I see that there is a Dev-C++. I use Dev-PHP so I'll give that a shot.

Thanks again.

Best,
Brian

laserlight
02-13-2008, 11:27 AM
Dev-C++ should work, but it is no longer being maintained. Personally, I rotate between the MinGW port of GCC at the command line (sometimes with SCons), Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 Express, and Netbeans 6.

abachler
02-13-2008, 11:31 AM
Bloodshed dev-c++
Code::Blocks
Visual Studio

all are good IDE/compilers

Code::Blocks is my personal preference for free compilers, and Visual Studio is my overall preference. I have used bloodshed for a lot fo things in the past though, and it is good. There is a new version of Borland Turbo C++ out as well, I havent tested it yet though.

Mario F.
02-13-2008, 11:33 AM
A friend of mine loves KTechLab (http://ktechlab.org/) and I seem him often working on it. He loves these controllers...

The GNU compiler collection was also ported. But the mother of all IDEs seems to be MPLAB (http://www.microchip.com/stellent/idcplg?IdcService=SS_GET_PAGE&nodeId=1406&dDocName=en019469&part=SW007002)

indigo0086
02-13-2008, 07:46 PM
I swear by Code::blocks. It's updated often (get a good release and you'll never notice if you need another one). I just got into wxWidgets and like the wxSmith form builder it has.

Sang-drax
02-13-2008, 07:52 PM
Visual Studio Express 2008 is free and good.

Mario F.
02-13-2008, 08:01 PM
Maybe I misunderstood the op. I thought he wanted to program pic controllers. He can't do that with those compilers...

laserlight
02-14-2008, 01:46 AM
Maybe I misunderstood the op. I thought he wanted to program pic controllers. He can't do that with those compilers...
Why not? I have never tried it myself, but isn't cross compiling possible?

matsp
02-14-2008, 03:39 AM
You can, with some hard work, get Visual Studio to work with "foreign" compilers - but it's not entirely trivial to do so, and ability to for example recognize error messages from other compilers is often a bit less than stellar.

In some sense, it may be better to use some less integrated tools, such as Emacs or Notepad++ etc, as there is no expectation that those tools will "do things automagically", and Emacs is actually quite capable of doing the building (using make or command-line compile or even a shell-script/batch-file) and presenting the compiler output, recognizing error messages etc, and jumping to the error in the source.

--
Mats

bpasternak
02-14-2008, 10:34 AM

Hi Mario. I don't need/want an IDE/compiler for the pic controller stuff. Just programming these made me realize how much I miss C. So, I want to get back into things and just wanted to know what the latest IDE/compiler everyone has been using.

I've downloaded Dev-C++ and Code::Blocks. I'm very familiar with Dev-C++ as I've worked with Dev-PHP. Code::Blocks is also very cool and I'll check that out more.

But, thanks for the info on KTechLab. I've checked it out and I'm sure I'll be looking at it more.

Thanks again everyone for your input. It's been great.

Best,
Brian