PDA

View Full Version : How many of you are in college?

Fool
08-12-2001, 03:54 PM
I am about to start computer programming this fall and I'm wondering how many others are in college. If not, what do you do for a living?

-Fool

Fordy
08-12-2001, 04:22 PM
Nope I am no longer studying, and I didnt study computers.

I work as an accountant in the UK. No wise cracks please.

Govtcheez
08-12-2001, 05:12 PM
I work as an accountant in the UK. No wise cracks please.

HAHAHAHAHA!!!!! :D What a dork! (wait a minute) Never mind, it wasn't really funny, just seemed expected...

I'm in college/uni...

iain
08-12-2001, 05:53 PM
im at uni reading Computer Science

Cheeze-It
08-12-2001, 06:08 PM
Well, I was suppose to start school this Semptember,
but the bank wouldn't give me a student loan (no cosigner).

Anyway, I had to defer my enrollment until 2002, so I can
have enough time to save up money for the ~$6000/semester
tuition.

*whine* I want to start school now *whine*

no-one
08-12-2001, 08:51 PM
i think i have a week or two of free living...

biosx
08-12-2001, 11:28 PM
Yup, I'm in college.

Northern Illinois University

Studying comp-sci and am thinking about a minor in either electronics, business, or philosophy.

SilentStrike
08-13-2001, 03:06 AM
Gonna be starting my first year at Rutgers University on August 31st.

Fordy
08-13-2001, 03:26 AM
>>HAHAHAHAHA!!!!! What a dork!

:mad:

Hey, I've done the Uni thang. This job is'nt too bad. Pays loads and no manual labour - so there!

Govtcheez
08-13-2001, 05:50 AM
Sorry Fordy, just joking around.

I realized I never said my major - Computer Engineering

Fordy
08-13-2001, 06:09 AM
>>Sorry Fordy, just joking around.

No offence taken.

By the way....A lot of the people in this industry are true dorks, but that doesnst apply to us all!!

:p :p :p

Govtcheez
08-13-2001, 06:13 AM
A lot of the people in this industry are true dorks, but that doesnst apply to us all!!

Yeah, I know. My gf's dad is an accountant, and he's not a dork, just a complete jerk.

This probably (obviously) doesn't apply to everyone either :)

Strider
08-13-2001, 09:18 AM
Going on 7 years of college. I initially obtained an Associates in Criminal Justice but decided not to pursue a career in law enforcement. Instead, I have continued with my education and am currently a junior (with about 2 years left....AAARRGHH!!) at Colorado Technical University. I am working for a BS in Information Technology. I work full-time and am "married with children"; hence the prolonged educational experience.

I currently work in the industry at WorldCom as a software systems engineer (programmer geek). :D

David

-KEN-
08-13-2001, 10:33 AM
I'm starting my freshman year of HS tomorrow and my first hour is computer programming I&II (but it's in BASIC, yuck! :( :( :( )

Govtcheez
08-13-2001, 01:47 PM
but it's in BASIC, yuck

BASIC? Bleecchhh! And I thought my 10th grade Pascal class 5 years ago was bad...

If we start to notice excessive GOTOs in your code, should we come to Florida and take your computer?

biosx
08-13-2001, 03:23 PM
electronics...universtity of athens, greece...i don't like it... i want to continue with computer science after i'm finished..

ehsiq
08-13-2001, 03:33 PM
i am not biosx, i am ehsiq

-KEN-
08-13-2001, 03:47 PM
come right down to Boca, smash all 3 computers and wipe the hard-drives thoroughly! Then take my copy of VC++ away, PLEASE!

If I start to proclaim liking BASIC, then you can shoot me.

ski6ski
08-13-2001, 05:07 PM
I have been trying to go to college, but maried with children it is not easy! Eveything that I have learnd has came from buying a book and doing the examples.

Anyone know if ZDnet still have their school online?

Anyway I work in a factory doing manual labor.:(

rick barclay
08-13-2001, 05:16 PM
Everybody's got to pay their dues, Ken.

rick barclay

mix0matt
08-13-2001, 05:27 PM
Yeah, i'm a student. I wish my school would have taught me more about the C language, but I guess they feel we're capable of teaching ourselves.

I have a quick question, and it may be considered stupid since this is a C board. My school's considering converting to a java based program. One of my good friend's school converted immediately before he started. I was just wondering if this is a worldwide trend. I certainly hope not. No offense to Java people.

Govtcheez
08-14-2001, 06:32 AM
Our curriculum (but only the early programming classes) is based around Java. However, we switched to that from Fortran and Pascal ::shudder::

CS students can take C classes later, but I don't think I get to :mad:

However, I get to take classes to make my own OS (CheetOS lives!) and I don't think the CS's do.

mithrandir
08-14-2001, 08:21 AM
If I start to proclaim liking BASIC, then you can shoot me.

I will remember that -KEN-.

In answer to the original question, I am a college student (or as we say here in Australia, university or uni student). Doing what you may ask? Information Systems. I'm currently in my 2nd year, so one more year to go (thank-god). I just hope I can get a job at the end of it :confused: