PDA

View Full Version : How about that hostage situation in California?

incognito
01-29-2002, 02:54 PM
See Subject.

incognito
01-29-2002, 02:58 PM
Ok, maybe I wasn't accurate enought, but right now there's a standoff in a bank or sometlhing when someone tried to rob a bank.

Brian
01-29-2002, 02:59 PM
Bullets kill people
Guns fire bullets
People pull triggers.
Ban people || Ban bullets || Ban guns

Judge
01-29-2002, 03:12 PM
Slightly off subject, perhaps...
Has anyone seen the film "Killing Zoe", thats about a bank robbery with hostages.

incognito
01-29-2002, 03:17 PM
I don't reallyl think guns would be banned here in the States that easily, and about the movie nah man I haven't.

Judge
01-29-2002, 03:32 PM
I don't reallyl think guns would be banned here in the States that easily

Your right, but like 30,000 plus people die from firearms each year (http://www.vpc.org/nrainfo/phil.html)
Thats a lot of people, doesn't bother me as I don't live in America. But it makes you wonder how many people who would have contributed to your country have been killed or will be killed.
The movie is pretty good, typical Tarantino stuff and julie delph(I think thats how you spell her name) gets her you know what's out.

Govtcheez
01-29-2002, 04:08 PM
> 40, 000 people are shot with a countrery with 10,000 people

Holy crap! they got killed 4 times? :)

What's your point? (besides the fact you know fractions, if you ignore the typo)

Judge
01-29-2002, 04:21 PM
People kill people, guns don't

Yeah, but why give someone an easy way to do it.
Okay and next your gonna say automobiles are more dangerous aren't you?
As I said I don't live in America, so you can all shoot yourselves for all I care.
But spare a thought for all the innocent victims and ask yourself if you would be prepared to suffer the same fate.
Thought: maybe all gun owners & sellers & manufacturers should be shot(not killed) so they know what it's like.

incognito
01-29-2002, 04:25 PM
I don't know, I mean the criminals are going to get the guns anyways, so one way to think about it, is why not give the honest man a chance to have a gun? This is one of the reasons why banning guns is very controvertial.

Judge
01-29-2002, 04:27 PM
But how many of the criminals guns are stolen from the honest man.

shtarker
01-29-2002, 04:33 PM
On the other hand, you could give them all a gun each.
The problem sorts its self out.

Brian
01-29-2002, 04:39 PM
ban guns. If you want to protect your property get a ****ing alarm.

incognito
01-29-2002, 04:43 PM
Will an alarm protect you if you're walking down the street?

Judge
01-29-2002, 04:46 PM
Will an alarm protect you if you're walking down the street?

Are you allowed to walk down the street with a gun?
I may be wrong but I don't think so, concealed weapon is illegal isn't it? And if you carried it openly you'd get shot by the cops instaed.

Brian
01-29-2002, 04:54 PM
We don't walk down the streets with guns here in England, and we generally don't get mugged. (Except if you live in Liverpool, but then you're asking for it)

qwertiop
01-29-2002, 04:55 PM
there's a standoff in a bank or sometlhing when someone tried to rob a bank.

i haven't heard anything about this; i just turned on the news and they where taliking about enron.

incognito
01-29-2002, 04:58 PM
Well here in the States if you have the right permit I believe you could carry a concealed handgun, at least here in Florida.

Brian
01-29-2002, 05:00 PM
Yeah, so if you're being mugged, at least they have something to kill you with.

Judge
01-29-2002, 05:03 PM
We don't walk down the streets with guns here in England, and we generally don't get mugged. (Except if you live in Liverpool, but then you're asking for it)

People in Liverpool still wear shell suits, so deserve to be shot

Brian
01-29-2002, 05:04 PM
THEY WEAR SHELLSUITS?

HAHAHAHAHA :D :D

incognito
01-29-2002, 05:14 PM
No, so the person can defend themselves.

Brian
01-29-2002, 05:20 PM
You don't need a gun to defend yourself.

Pepper spray does the trick.

shtarker
01-29-2002, 05:22 PM
If some guy comes up behind you in a dark alley and points a gun at your head, no amount of fire power in the world would do all that much to help ypu protect your self.

Judge
01-29-2002, 05:28 PM
I think weve worn this argument to death now, I even had to check which side I was on.

incognito
01-29-2002, 05:36 PM
I guess you're right that wasn't even the point of me posting this I was wanted to know if people knew about it. (the standoff that is)

Barjor
01-29-2002, 05:37 PM
First of all can you back up the argument that most people getting killed by illegal guns? I never seen any numbers that prove that. Second . The numbers I have seen says that you are most likely to get killed by a legal gun by someone you know.

Judge
01-29-2002, 05:39 PM
Well it is true most people are murdered by someone they know, that goes for all types of murder.
Here we go again...

Brian
01-29-2002, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by Judge
Well it is true most people are murdered by someone they know, that goes for all types of murder.
Here we go again...

Well actually, the majority of people have a natural death.

shtarker
01-29-2002, 05:49 PM
>>The numbers I have seen says that you are most likely to get killed by a legal gun by someone you know.

And it didn't occue to you that thats more of a reason to ban them???

Judge
01-29-2002, 05:53 PM
Well actually, the majority of people have a natural death.

Do they, do they really?
Thats what the govement tells you. But it's not true, the goverment dosen't want to pay out pensions so they kill us off and blame it on natural causes.

Brian
01-29-2002, 05:55 PM
Yeah, and then they turn our corpses into school dinners
:D

Judge
01-29-2002, 05:57 PM
From what I remember of my school dinners human corpses would have been much tastier.

shtarker
01-29-2002, 06:09 PM
They feed you at school?
In Australia we bring our own fod.
Or if you live close (like i do) you get to go home.

Unregistered
01-29-2002, 06:20 PM
PEOPLE KILL PEOPLE. GUNS, LIKE KNIVES, ARE INSTRUMENTS THAT CAN BE USED TO KILL PEOPLE. Should we ban knives too? And while we're at it, why not ban explosives, cuz they can kill people too. And so can the moniter I am looking at. I could kill someone by throwing it at him. If you really want to kill someone, you will either get a gun illegally, or you wlil find another instrument to kill with.

I know the response to this is "guns are made to kill people". Not true. Rednecks like hunting, and I know a few people who kill pesty roents with pellet guns. It's not like their sole purpose is a weapon to be used against people.

Don't ban guns, put the people who use them wrongly in jail and torture them.

gnu-ehacks
01-29-2002, 09:14 PM
I don't believe in banning guns totally. People like to hunt as a hobby, and it's not right for them to stop because of irresponsible people. There should just be stricter rules when using them...You should have a legitamate reason to use them, and not just protection, and they should be tracked with some kind of a chip inside of them, so that they can be tracked by satellite or something.

incognito
01-29-2002, 09:47 PM
I don't believe in the banning of guns, I believe of better background checks, and gun safetly luck. There's something which I actually saw on tv, there's this system with a ring that the person wears a ring and the only way that the person can shoot this gun is if the person is wearing this special ring. I think this is cool because it would prevent kids from reaching them and this would prevent a lot of accidental deaths.

incognito
01-29-2002, 09:49 PM
Oh by the way I heard that the guy (thief) (robber) just surrendered a few moments ago, and no one was hurt.

novacain
01-30-2002, 02:04 AM
>>I believe of better background checks, and gun safetly luck

interesting typo.

Your refering to Metal Storm's DNA lock. Finger print ID in microchip on gun handle prevents firing except by owner.

No gun in the US started as illegal. If you did not have more guns than people then there would not be a illegal market easily accessable.

The difference between a knife ect and a gun is the personal nature of a knife. You have to be close and feel the knife enter the other person. Very different act than standing back and shooting.

nvoigt
01-30-2002, 06:49 AM
I know the response to this is "guns are made to kill people". Not true. Rednecks like hunting, and I know a few people who kill pesty roents with pellet guns. It's not like their sole purpose is a weapon to be used against people.

Don't ban guns, put the people who use them wrongly in jail and torture them.

Putting them in jail would be a punishment. Restricting weapons would be a preventive action. No amount of torture or jail time will bring back the dead victims.

Huntsmen are very few, need a special training and should be able to own a gun. People who just want to shoot for fun and call that hunting should not be allowed to own a gun.

Nuke
Tank
Gun
Knife
Bread

Each of this tools can kill. Bread and knives serve another purpose than just killing. The rest does not. Why draw the line at Tank ? Why not at Gun ? Imagine I would like to own a tank. Why do you restrict it ?

Guns don't kill, people do.
Bombs don't kill, explosions do.
Falling won't kill you, landing will.

Why don't you allow me to own a nuke ? I mean, people can obtain them illegally anyway, so I should be prepared for a counterstrike.

Owning a gun will not help you if you get robbed. The knowledge that you might shoot him any time will just make the robber more nervous and trigger happy.

Would you take the risk of getting into a gunfight for your 20$ change and drivers licence ? For money ? Would you risk death for money ? If your answer is yes, than get off your horse. This is no longer the wild wild west. If you get robbed, call the cops. Don't start a firefight.

Barjor
01-30-2002, 10:56 AM
To shtarker
>>And it didn't occue to you that thats more of a reason to ban them???<<

Thats exactly my point. My opinion is that basicly no one more then the police, military and some few hunters should have guns.
The argument that you "need" a gun for protection is just plain stupid when the truth is that you are most likely to be shoot by your friends or family in a freak accdent.
~Barjor

Govtcheez
01-30-2002, 11:11 AM
The argument that you need a gun for hunting's crazy, as well. Sure, we're infringing on someone's favorite sport - so what? My new favorite sport involves riding elephants through supermarkets, but they won't let me do that...

Betazep
01-30-2002, 11:11 AM
>>the truth is that you are most likely to be shoot by your friends or family in a freak accdent.

No you aren't 'most likely.' Take every moment in time that a person owns a gun and doesn't get shot. Multiply that times every person. The likelyhood of you getting shot with your own gun is so negligible that on the large scale it is virtually non existant.

People get so upset when one person dies from the use of their own gun or their child dies or something. This happens so infrequently in comparison to child abuse, non-accident murder with a variety of weapons, drunk driving deaths, etc.

People are too afraid of death. The inevitibility of it is certain.

I do not own a gun just the same. Don't need one.

novacain
01-30-2002, 09:53 PM
>>No, most off those accidients are from kids who were never taught how to use a gun properly

And the kids at places like Colombine WERE trained properly?

But here kids don't shoot each other at school, people on the street are not carring a gun (even most police) and you can't buy a BB gun for home defence, we prefer it that way.

Dalren
01-31-2002, 03:40 PM
First if you ban guns here in the USA criminals will still have guns, i forget who but someone once said, Thinking that a mugger or rapist will care that their gun is illegal, is like thinking a terorist will care that his car bomb is double parked.

Second, guns arent going to be baned here because of that thing called the second amendment.

Third if you look at the statistics crime rates are usally lower in areas with less restrictive guns laws. If your going to break into a house your proably going to break into one where there less likely to have a gun.