PDA

View Full Version : i want to send PM to forum members?

manav
11-30-2007, 05:00 AM
I want to send PM to forum members.
But I am not allowed to do so. Why?
Actually I tried to PM Mats :) Hi Mats!

zacs7
11-30-2007, 05:08 AM
What do you mean, 'not allowed'?
How are you trying to send the PM? As far as I know the admins/mods haven't disabled them or anything like that.

matsp
11-30-2007, 05:09 AM
I don't know why that is. I have received PM's before.

But I'm not too fond of PM's anyways - most questions that I'm willing to answer to anyone would be better discussed in the open [gives other people a chance to see what's being discussed, and to perhaps give another view, explanation or correction of something that is wrong]. There are exceptions to this rule, but about 70% of the PM's I've received here and on other forums, are actually better to discuss in public.

--
Mats

whiteflags
11-30-2007, 05:16 AM
It probably has something to do with how long you've been here op. Post more and you'll be allowed to do more, like PM, or have a signature; everything you could possibly want.

manav
11-30-2007, 05:19 AM
Well Mats!
I wanted to get a little explanation for what you have said in your signature!
Explain your signature please.

matsp
11-30-2007, 05:23 AM
I like to "use" -Wall in gcc, or -W3 in Microsoft compilers - or whatever is the equivalent in other compilers.

Compiler warnings are there for a reason, and you USUALLY get warnings about things where you try to do something that you shouldn't be doing.

In fact, in my previous place of work, the rule was to use -Werror in gcc, which means that you HAVE to fix any warnings you have in the code.

The signature is just my way of saying "Someone put some effort into writing the code that figures these warnings out - it's a shame NOT to use that functionality".

[Unfortunately, sometimes when you enable warnings on existing code, you get hundreds or thousands of them - and they may not be entirely trivial to get rid of, if the code is badly written or old-style code].

--
Mats

manav
11-30-2007, 05:26 AM
Thanks Mats!
Your were right. This question should not have been asked in PM.
I think that every one should think about what you said.

zacs7
11-30-2007, 05:29 AM
Once you get to x posts you get to hang out in the members lounge, certainly worth the posts. Also you can nominate me as Member of the month again :)

On that topic, do you say, "Wall" or "W... All" ? :D

matsp
11-30-2007, 05:32 AM
I pronounce if "minus double-u all". That is what it stands for "enable ALL warnings". Not a part of a room/building. ;)

--
Mats

manav
11-30-2007, 05:33 AM
newbie_forum_member_confused_error: x had been used without initialization.

Elysia
11-30-2007, 05:37 AM
Using variable x without initializing it with anything. In other words, you're reading junk data that's stored in the variable.

zacs7
11-30-2007, 05:37 AM
Oh, but isn't it a dash? Touche!

It isn't math :)

matsp
11-30-2007, 05:40 AM
Oh, but isn't it a dash? Touche!

It isn't math :)

It's the same sign on a keyboard, and most people I've met say "minus gee" for "-g", etc. Some say dash. Do you say "cross bee" for "+b" or some such, when there are "+/-" switches, then, as it's still not really math, right?

--
Mats

zacs7
11-30-2007, 05:45 AM
Hehe. I'd say minus too, after all I am just a convict from England after all, eh? ;)

whiteflags
11-30-2007, 05:53 AM
I tend not to read my compiler switches out loud.

It's weird in public.

zacs7
11-30-2007, 05:54 AM
Haha, and what if, hypothetically of course -- you were at work and there was a power cut while you were compiling and your colleuge asked what switches did you specify in the compile?

a. Write it down on paper
b. Show him when the power was back
c. Draw a picture
d. Read it out loud.

A conundrum indeed.

Elysia
11-30-2007, 05:56 AM
Hmmm!
I'd say... show - b :D

manav
04-10-2008, 11:41 PM
Now it's back again ...

Just as I could not send PMs when I was new on this forum (and did not have enough posts),
now, if I PM a new member (who obviously does not have enough posts yet), will (s)he be able to
reply to my PM?

CornedBee
04-11-2008, 02:11 AM
No. Replying to a PM is no different from other ways of sending one.

manav
04-11-2008, 05:17 AM
Is there a way to know:
- How many people have seen my profile?
- The names of registered members who have seen my profile?
- At least, is there a way, to know, if some one is looking at your profile?

Elysia
04-11-2008, 05:18 AM
Lol no, none of them.

CornedBee
04-11-2008, 05:31 AM
IPB can do that, but not vBulletin.

Elysia
04-11-2008, 05:32 AM
Though I suppose it might be possible using addons or hacks.

Vicious
04-11-2008, 11:43 AM
Haha, and what if, hypothetically of course -- you were at work and there was a power cut while you were compiling and your colleuge asked what switches did you specify in the compile?

a. Write it down on paper
b. Show him when the power was back
c. Draw a picture
d. Read it out loud.

A conundrum indeed.

I'd like to see an example of (a) and (c). :)

brewbuck
04-11-2008, 11:53 AM

Is your colleague afraid that your particular choice of compiler switches caused a power outage? I think you need to find smarter colleagues!

Vicious
04-11-2008, 12:02 PM
You never know with those pointers! :D

CornedBee
04-11-2008, 01:44 PM
OK, this thread was too old to start with.