PDA

View Full Version : Crysis Demo Available

hk_mp5kpdw
10-30-2007, 06:05 PM
Anybody get this and play it yet? The demo is almost 2 Gb and my comp won't take it as far as minimum requirements:

CPU: Intel P4 2.8Ghz or AMD equivalent
RAM: 1GB
Video Card: 6800GT (256mb) or ATI/AMD Radeon 9800 Pro (256mb)
HDD Space: 16GB
Sound Card: DirectX 9.0c Compatible
I've got everything except the Video Card (I've only got a Radeon 9700 128mb) and everything newer that that seems to be PCIe while my mobo is AGP4x so is there any possibility of an upgrade for me. My processor/memory is the bare minimum 2.8 Ghz/1 Gb as well. Damn, I need a new computer.

SlyMaelstrom
10-31-2007, 01:52 AM
Crysis is a game built around its graphical beauty. Meeting the minimum requirements just wouldn't cut it if you want the real experience. Anyway, I haven't had a chance to try the demo. As for getting a new computer... I'd agree it looks about time to upgrade if you want to play modern games. However getting something to play Crysis the way it was meant to be played can run you up $1000 or so.

hk_mp5kpdw
10-31-2007, 07:31 AM
I have no problem forking over the money for one of these (http://alienware.com/product_detail_pages/Area-51_ALX/area-51_overview.aspx?SysCode=PC-AREA51-ALX-R6&SubCode=SKU-DEFAULT) puppies. $5000 is a bit much but as some characters in a famous movie once said, "I fell a need... a need for speed." At least they offer financing.

indigo0086
10-31-2007, 07:38 AM
I'm still running a 939 system with a radeon x1950 pro AGP and 2.2ghz opteron dual core and I play most games at full settings with nice speeds.

SlyMaelstrom
10-31-2007, 09:25 AM
I have no problem forking over the money for one of these (http://alienware.com/product_detail_pages/Area-51_ALX/area-51_overview.aspx?SysCode=PC-AREA51-ALX-R6&SubCode=SKU-DEFAULT) puppies. $5000 is a bit much but as some characters in a famous movie once said, "I fell a need... a need for speed." At least they offer financing.Ick... if you want to pay $5000, build the same computer for $3000 and donate the other $2000 to the charity of your choice... it's just better that way. Honestly, you can build something that can play Crysis on good settings for about $1000. This for example. (http://secure.newegg.com/NewVersion/wishlist/PublicWishDetail.asp?WishListNumber=6221411) There is actually $80 of mail-in rebates on that, so it is under $1000 excluding tax and shipping. However, it also doesn't have case fans, so you can tack on another $20 if you don't have them laying around.

Validinfection
10-31-2007, 12:54 PM
I can't wait till I get my new computer..

Sentral
10-31-2007, 01:49 PM
Build your own computer, buying is for squares.

CornedBee
10-31-2007, 02:15 PM
Right. I'll lay the foundation for my private chip factory tomorrow ;)

Sentral
10-31-2007, 02:34 PM
Right. I'll lay the foundation for my private chip factory tomorrow ;)

You could. I hear AMD processors are made in Chinese sweatshops! :D

Cheeze-It
10-31-2007, 05:06 PM
http://www.nzone.com/object/nzone_crysis_home.html

There's a test to see if your computer can run it. I
barely meet minimum specs.

CoD4 will be better anyway.

Sentral
10-31-2007, 05:15 PM
http://www.nzone.com/object/nzone_crysis_home.html

There's a test to see if your computer can run it. I
barely meet minimum specs.

CoD4 will be better anyway.

It rates the operating system! haha....

It told me Windows XP Pro barely meets minimum requirements :(

CornedBee
11-01-2007, 04:16 AM
Aww, the test doesn't work on my Linux. Why ever not? :p

twomers
11-01-2007, 01:26 PM
Heh. Maybe it's wrong. Try it again!

PING
11-04-2007, 10:23 PM
The graphics are mindblowing ! Very realistic, dying to see what the full version will be like :)

Wraithan
11-04-2007, 11:18 PM
Test says I meet all the requirements and the recommended :D Thought I exactly meet the recommended for the video planning on going to SLI once the price of the GeForce 8800GTS 640 goes down.

@nthony
11-05-2007, 11:30 PM
It rates the operating system! haha....
It told me Windows XP Pro barely meets minimum requirements :(
That's because of the recommended DX10 which requires Vista (though I've heard rumours of people getting it to run on XP...)

I've played it on my 3.0ghz, 1 gb, 256mb 9800XT machine running DX9 and all settings low; it was very "meh"-ish to say the least; though I did have fun for a while after hacking the console vars to give me unlimited suit power, ammo, speed, etc.
Really, it just looks like a graphical upscale of a prev-gen EA game (BF2), like most EA games tend to be.
Not to mention the story line sounds like it was created by a 15-year-old with a lot of hollywood rock-em-sock-em, campy, ballyhoo, sensationalistic mindlessness: The year is 2020 and the US has just developed a top-secret next-gen Mobile Infantry Armour System (with some pretty unique capabilities)... so what do they decide to do with this multi-billion dollar pinnacle of U.S. Warfare technology (which amounts to an otherwise decent storyline hook/gimmick thus far)? I know, lets suit up seemingly untrained, unprofessional ruffians Rae-Rae and Tommy Dick (a british guy in the U.S. Special Forces?), then put them under the command of an uber-cliche, stereotypical no-nonsense, tuff-guy sergeant type (like we haven't seen that one before?) and then I know! I know! let's throw GIANT TENTACLE SPACE MONSTERS at them when its all said and done.
Wow... this is going to be a serious case of all beauty and no brains. I think the only reason to get this game is if your a graphics-slut (which admittedly I am, but not at the expense of getting a new rig).

Cheeze-It
11-06-2007, 08:15 AM
That's because of the recommended DX10 which requires Vista (though I've heard rumours of people getting it to run on XP...)

I've played it on my 3.0ghz, 1 gb, 256mb 9800XT machine running DX9 and all settings low; it was very "meh"-ish to say the least; though I did have fun for a while after hacking the console vars to give me unlimited suit power, ammo, speed, etc.
Really, it just looks like a graphical upscale of a prev-gen EA game (BF2), like most EA games tend to be.
Not to mention the story line sounds like it was created by a 15-year-old with a lot of hollywood rock-em-sock-em, campy, ballyhoo, sensationalistic mindlessness: The year is 2020 and the US has just developed a top-secret next-gen Mobile Infantry Armour System (with some pretty unique capabilities)... so what do they decide to do with this multi-billion dollar pinnacle of U.S. Warfare technology (which amounts to an otherwise decent storyline hook/gimmick thus far)? I know, lets suit up seemingly untrained, unprofessional ruffians Rae-Rae and Tommy Dick (a british guy in the U.S. Special Forces?), then put them under the command of an uber-cliche, stereotypical no-nonsense, tuff-guy sergeant type (like we haven't seen that one before?) and then I know! I know! let's throw GIANT TENTACLE SPACE MONSTERS at them when its all said and done.
Wow... this is going to be a serious case of all beauty and no brains. I think the only reason to get this game is if your a graphics-slut (which admittedly I am, but not at the expense of getting a new rig).

I agree. Get a Wii instead with Metroid Prime 3. May
not look as good, but it's helluva lot more fun to play.
Then get Super Mario Galaxy and Zach & Wiki (point & click fo'sho)

SlyMaelstrom
11-06-2007, 08:21 AM
I agree. Get a Wii instead with Metroid Prime 3. May
not look as good, but it's helluva lot more fun to play.
Then get Super Mario Galaxy and Zach & Wiki (point & click fo'sho)Where does comedy end and bannable-advertisement begin?

Seriously... I'm worried man. One day Nintendo is gonna go under like every other company and that is the day we'll have to take all sharp objects away from you.

twomers
11-06-2007, 12:47 PM
>> we'll have to take all sharp objects away from you.
I'll be giving them back to him. Ethic going crazy ... I'm sure there'll be something amusing on youtube afterwards.

PING
11-07-2007, 01:51 PM
@ethic : The amount of publicity you have been doing for the Nintendo Wii makes me wonder if Nintendo is actually paying you to promote their products :)

SlyMaelstrom
11-07-2007, 05:31 PM
@ethic : The amount of publicity you have been doing for the Nintendo Wii makes me wonder if Nintendo is actually paying you to promote their products !*! WITH THE POWERS OF BLACK MAGIC... I COMMAND THIS POST TO APPEAR !*!

*PING* (http://cboard.cprogramming.com/showpost.php?p=681290&postcount=9)

On a side note... I played through the demo last night. Very, very fun and very, very beautiful. I can't wait for the full version.

Cheeze-It
11-17-2007, 01:59 PM
!*! WITH THE POWERS OF BLACK MAGIC... I COMMAND THIS POST TO APPEAR !*!

*PING* (http://cboard.cprogramming.com/showpost.php?p=681290&postcount=9)

On a side note... I played through the demo last night. Very, very fun and very, very beautiful. I can't wait for the full version.

The greatest game of all time is Super Mario Galaxy. According to
Game Rankings

http://www.gamerankings.com/itemrankings/simpleratings.asp?rankings=y

Just sayin'...