PDA

View Full Version : I may have an interview for a microsoft internship.

indigo0086
09-18-2007, 07:20 AM
Hey guys, my former programming teacher e-mailed me an email from someone who works for Microsoft looking for recommendations from him. Lucky me he selected me as one of those students. So I e-mailed him and am awaiting feedback on whether I'd get an interview. I'm pretty nervous, as I've always been intimidated about really getting a programming job. Mainly nervous that I won't have the skills to actually do the job, but who knows. I'm kind of excited, though if it goes through, it may postpone my graduation for at least two more semesters, but either way it is job experience. Who knows.

matsp
09-18-2007, 07:29 AM
Microsoft is probably a really good place to do your internship.

Good luck. And don't worry TOO much about the interview - as I've said to others, be honest, rather than imply that you know more than you do, and show willingness to learn. [And it perhaps isn't the best idea to come in with a Linux Rules T-shirt ;-)]

--
Mats

indigo0086
09-18-2007, 07:46 AM
Yeah, I only recently heard about MS's Brawl with Linux.

I don't use linux anyway (I would if it worked with my monitor).

I can learn well in a programming environment, I think it's my best place to learn. All my favorite courses have dealt with programming.

abachler
09-18-2007, 03:02 PM
[And it perhaps isn't the best idea to come in with a Linux Rules T-shirt ;-)]

What about a t-shirt with a pengiun dry humping an obese pig with a windows logo tattood on her ass?

twomers
09-18-2007, 04:02 PM
Or that one with the FF fox eating IE? That's a solid winner.

DavidP
09-19-2007, 12:39 AM
psh...

Just walk in with a t-shirt that says, "I Apple Code" (with "Apple" replaced by the image of an apple)

i got a shirt like that :D

indigo0086
09-19-2007, 04:19 AM
I DO want this internship just fyi ;)

But anyone have any recommendations for what I put on my resume? I know the standard stuff, but should I put things I'm in the process of learning, like OpenGL and Perl and the like? Or should I just stick to what I know.

whiteflags
09-19-2007, 04:43 AM
I don't think a resume is the place to write all the things that you sort of know how to do. That's the one thing anyone looking at a resume hates: guessing how much of it is true or what your real skills are.

paulstovell
09-20-2007, 08:41 AM
But anyone have any recommendations for what I put on my resume? I know the standard stuff, but should I put things I'm in the process of learning, like OpenGL and Perl and the like? Or should I just stick to what I know.

I'd put the stuff you're just starting out with in an "interests" section at the end.

Also, if you have experience in non-Microsoft stuff - say, you run your personal website on Arch Linux using Ruby and your own Apache modules, which you programmed from your iPhone - don't be afraid to list it. Microsoft do see any experience with technology (contrary to popular belief) as a Good Thing.

Good luck!

indigo0086
09-21-2007, 07:19 AM
unfortunately, I've done very little besides "interests" in college. Most of what I've been learning is either in class or on my own time. I haven't implemented it into many full or partial applications. I am worried my Resume will be too empty, but I did get a recommendation which I hear is big, and I know someone else who got their job in a similar situation I am in.

whiteflags
09-21-2007, 12:46 PM
Well I believe that resumes for people who are just starting their careers, as in your situation, would:
Fit on one page Be mostly references, volunteer work, education and skill sets Have an objective

Just talk about the stuff you like and what you're trying to learn at the interview, and mention how the internship will help you.

hakunamatata
09-25-2007, 11:27 PM
I had an on-site interview for the microsoft internship last week. The questions are not difficult, I guess they may decide whether we fit MS based on how we answer those questions. when you are asked to write some code, they will tell you whether there're bugs in your code or not. Though I've got some "well done", "perfect" in the interviews, I am more than 60% sure that I failed this time :( because I haven't received any feedback from them yet. As I recalled, I received their congratulations email 3 days later after I pass the phone interview. Can anyone tell me that If you succeed in the last interview, how long will you get the feedback? Will they send me an email if I fail?

matsp
09-26-2007, 03:09 AM
A good company will inform you that you are "no longer a candidate", it is the polite thing to do, but it's very likely that they do not decide which candidate(s) to hire until they have interviewed all "passed the first stage" candidates. The first stage is usually a pretty easy "pass/fail" test - you either have the right stuff or not. The second level interview is much more "soft" - it involves more than just "do you know enough", but also considers your attitude, personality, interaction with other people, and of course technical skills.

--
Mats

dwks
09-26-2007, 11:11 AM
I don't use linux anyway (I would if it worked with my monitor).
Try a newer version of Linux. Debian 3.1 didn't support 1280x800 with my monitor either, but Debian 4.0 is just fine with it.

indigo0086
09-26-2007, 11:15 AM
I was using ubuntu feisty 7.04 and it doesn't work with my samsung monitor that prefers to run at 1900x1440

As for the 'interview' it was really a career fair and I gave out my resume's and talked to various companies. I'm not sure, but from what they were asking me, it's hard to guage what they really want from an employee. they seemed to like that I took several programming courses, but only one or two were interested in me learning about them further outside of school (since the courses I took are hardly representative of the languages or programming applications of the language). Some of them asked about projects I did, for the most part I didn't remember that I did a small library that reads terragen files, but only the person from microsoft asked me about my itnerests in that kind of thing. It's hard for me to think on my feet and I think I came too unsure of myself since I didn't answer every question with a 'sure I do great in that area lalala', and admitted when some spots were weak.

dwks
09-26-2007, 11:37 AM
It looks like your screen mode is possible, at least with one driver.

The highest resolution now possible at 60Hz is 1900x1440.
From http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-446807.html

I'm sure you could get it to work if you . . . worked . . . at it. Anyway, probably not the best thing to do right now.

MS Interviewer: So what did you do today?
Interviewee: Well, I was installing Ubuntu Linux onto a separate partition, because yesterday I figured out that it would support my screen resolution if I edited the /etc/Xorg/Xorg.conf file . . .

indigo0086
09-26-2007, 11:40 AM
I have worked at it, I navigated through the shell edited my xorg about 10 different times with no success.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=487365

dwks
09-26-2007, 11:58 AM
This monitor is almost exactly the same as yours. There's lots of stuff later on in the thread, too; don't close it in disgust after a few posts. ;) http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=280683

Here's someone with your monitor under Debian: http://www.openaddict.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=590&sid=b8d29d9a7763b6e521a07d06f78a1cf3

I see you posted this already. http://cboard.cprogramming.com/archive/index.php/t-91708.html

Here's another thread of yours, just thought I'd post it: http://forum.pcmech.com/showthread.php?t=183814
I guess the page that person linked to didn't help, but here it is. http://blog.aizatto.com/2007/03/16/samsung-syncmaster-940bw-running-externaly-on-my-ibm-thinkpad-r52-i915-running-ubuntu-edgy-eft-6-10/

I'm not actually that familiar with the Xorg.conf stuff, I just used google . . .

indigo0086
09-27-2007, 06:41 AM
Back to the subject at hand, what is your assessment. I know there were practically hundreds of students interviewing any given single company for the same job, so you really have to stand out among the rest, so I'm not putting my hopes to high. And since I don't live on campus nor a stones throw from it, it's much harder for me to do anything extracurricular regularly. Doubt I had a chance.