PDA

View Full Version : Assembly board

siavoshkc
08-17-2007, 09:22 AM
I think having an assembly board would be cool in this forum.

matsp
08-17-2007, 09:25 AM
Until there's enough volume, I suspect that the general discussion forum would be perfectly fine for this subject - it makes it a bit harder to find the posts, but adding another forum also makes for "more work" in some ways (having too many forums just makes people post in the wrong place anyways!).

--
Mats

laserlight
08-17-2007, 09:39 AM
Until there's enough volume, I suspect that the general discussion forum would be perfectly fine for this subject
I think the Tech Board would be a better catch all for programming related topics that do not fall into an existing forum's scope.

siavoshkc
08-17-2007, 10:25 AM
Neither of them is a perfect place. Though, Tech Board is better.

CrazyNorman
08-17-2007, 12:06 PM
Hopefully anyone using ASM can figure out which board to post on, because if they can't they don't have a hope. Adding a board for assembly certainly won't cause more people to post ASM questions on other boards, but it'll give a place for the people who can figure out where do post.

CornedBee
08-17-2007, 02:12 PM
Anyone in need of such a volume of assembly questions that it would require its own board should be able to use Google to discover a dedicated assembly forum, or assembly sections of generic tech forums. Or they could just go to Usenet, comp.lang.asm and its subgroups, and alt.lang.asm.

This is still a board about C and C++ primarily.

VirtualAce
08-17-2007, 11:31 PM
This is a C/C++ board not an assembly language board. There are other boards that are more prepared to deal with assembly questions.

And to answer future polls:

Any new board here = a bad idea.

Fordy
08-19-2007, 03:17 AM
It's in the name - CProgramming.com. We dont need to add a board to cater for every need.

Yarin
08-19-2007, 11:22 AM
Then why do we have an AI board?

Wraithan
08-19-2007, 01:46 PM
AI can and has been implemented in C/C++, and theoretical stuff is welcome to be discussed there also, because it doesn't get away from the point of the board, which is a learning place for C/C++

maxorator
08-20-2007, 03:35 AM
This is a C/C++ board not an assembly language board. There are other boards that are more prepared to deal with assembly questions.

And to answer future polls:

Any new board here = a bad idea.
Assembly is not a programming language ;) .

It would be good if there would be much assembly-related topics in Tech Board. But there aren't, so let's just agree to use [ASM] in front of the topic name. :D

MacGyver
08-20-2007, 05:57 AM
Assembly is not a programming language ;) .

o rly?

CrazyNorman
08-20-2007, 07:26 AM
It's a near direct translation between machine language and human readable form. Plus, consider the fact that there is no standard "assembly language," considering how many different assemblers use different forms (AT&T vs. Intel), different directives, etc.

indigo0086
08-20-2007, 07:37 AM
If we have a board for assembly, the terrorist win.

simpleid
08-20-2007, 08:05 AM
If we have a board for assembly, the terrorist win.

lol mk.

(as of posting)
29% in favor
71% against

if it were more like 51% then you would have a chance at arguing further, looks like it's a dead end.

CT's win!

indigo0086
08-20-2007, 08:17 AM
CT's win!

lol, pistols only next round.

maxorator
08-20-2007, 08:17 AM
We don't need an inactive board. That's why assembly board isn't a good idea atm.

Salem
08-20-2007, 09:42 AM
> I think having an assembly board would be cool in this forum.
If there was,
- and you posted your question,
- and it remained unanswered due to lack of ASM skills here,
- would you seek out another forum which was dedicated to the topic of interest?

How far off topic do you want to go?
- car maintenance
- dating
- brush collecting

Why do you think the C# forum is on life support? Because in the search for a good C# forum, there's probably several hundred higher up the list to choose from which can offer more in depth support across a much wider spectrum of problems.
Good for the occasional question from the existing membership, but very rarely does it catch someone who found it using google.

twomers
08-20-2007, 10:02 AM
Salem, I've been having trouble finding a girlfriend and I was wondering if I could have your support to start a forum for it.

GanglyLamb
08-20-2007, 10:19 AM
Maybe you should also have your own domain, forwarding to that board twomers... I was thinking something like: twomers-is-looking-for-a-girlfriend.com and it appears its still available (according to centralops).

For those of you that have a screen that can rotate 180 degrees, do it now and see the number of the beast below my avatar:o (edit: if you rotate the screen, it'll be located above my avatar...)

Salem
08-20-2007, 10:29 AM
> Salem, I've been having trouble finding a girlfriend
Perhaps it's something to do with your sig?

simpleid
08-20-2007, 10:52 AM
...and there's always http://www.masm32.com/board/index.php

maxorator
08-20-2007, 11:09 AM
Lol, let's make an "Assembly board" appear on the boards list and then it would just forward to that forum! Funny. :D

twomers
08-20-2007, 11:26 AM
>> Perhaps it's something to do with your sig?
I think not. Who said the contents of my sig were my views ... err?

Yarin
08-20-2007, 12:23 PM
Max, why did you vote 'Good' if you think otherwise?

Yarin
08-20-2007, 12:25 PM
twomers (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=define%3Atwomers)

Yarin
08-20-2007, 12:26 PM
Does this surprise me? I think not: govtcheez (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=define%3Agovtcheez)

simpleid
08-20-2007, 01:25 PM
i meant good until i found masm32, now i'm happy. why can't people change their votes? crappy poll.

maxorator
08-21-2007, 12:08 AM
Max, why did you vote 'Good' if you think otherwise?
If the question involves the word assembly then I always vote like that. There were so few votes there anyway. :D

MacGyver
08-21-2007, 12:53 AM
For those that want to discuss assembly, I think the tech board is sufficient. Really. Start a topic there, and if it's NES, SNES, or x86 assembly related, I wouldn't mind jumping in. :D

twomers
08-21-2007, 03:01 AM
>> twomers
Yes? twomers is not a real word. Pff (http://www.google.ie/search?hl=en&q=define%3A+Yarin&btnG=Search&meta=). Not even a suggestion.

simpleid
08-21-2007, 07:39 AM
>> twomers
Yes? twomers is not a real word. Pff (http://www.google.ie/search?hl=en&q=define%3A+Yarin&btnG=Search&meta=). Not even a suggestion.

ok seriously, when i clicked your URL, google told me this:

We're sorry...

... but your query looks similar to automated requests from a computer virus or spyware application. To protect our users, we can't process your request right now.

We'll restore your access as quickly as possible, so try again soon. In the meantime, if you suspect that your computer or network has been infected, you might want to run a virus checker or spyware remover to make sure that your systems are free of viruses and other spurious software.

We apologize for the inconvenience, and hope we'll see you again on Google.

so how exactly do we quarantine twomers... he's got such a high post count maybe he's a spam bot.

i'm beginning to see the connection... *speculates*

twomers
08-21-2007, 09:08 AM
>> maybe he's a spam bot.
I wish. Then I might know how to stop them from ruining my life ... just a tad melodramatic maybe.

No definitions were found for Yarin.

Suggestions:

- Make sure all words are spelled correctly.
- Search the Web for documents that contain " Yarin"

I'm just your simple, everyday forum browser, simpleid. But I have plans. Plans I can put into action very quickly indeed (a buck for who tells me what I'm quoting).

MacNilly
08-22-2007, 05:29 PM
If there was an assembler board, you'd almost have to have multiple sub-forums: Windows, Linux, DOS, 16 bit, 32 bit, AT&T or Intel syntax. Also I doubt anyone would come to cprogramming.com to post assembly questions.

twomers
08-23-2007, 03:12 AM
I think we have the first three of them, Mac.