PDA

View Full Version : Shining up my old Mac.

psychopath
08-04-2007, 11:58 AM
I've got a PowerMac G3 Blue&White case that I've been using for a PCtoMac conversion mod.

I'm using this case just because I have it here. I like the newer ones better, ie the PowerMac G4 and the G4 Quicksilver, because I'm a sucker for glossy stuff.

Unfortunatly I can't afford to get a new case just for a mod just because I like shiney stuff, so I'm wondering if there's any way I can gloss up the side panels on the G3.

It's a translucent plastic material, and it's not perfectly smooth; there are tiny sandpaper-like imperfections all over it, that diffuse the light. There are also some light scratches accross it on the bottom of the panels.

Would I just get some clear gloss finish and run over it? Or should I sand it down first? I thinking to get rid of the scratches I have to sand it anyway, but would I have to sand the whole panel?

whiteflags
08-04-2007, 01:56 PM
My brother's a professional painter - I don't think varnish or something like that does anything for plastics, just clean it. I don't think sandpaper would work very well to fix your problems either: plastic is more durable than that and I don't think a whole lot would come loose. You could install new plastic, but that's about it I believe.

matsp
08-04-2007, 02:16 PM
Having ridden motorcycles for a few years - they are mainly made from various forms of plastic nowadays, not to mention the visor on the helmet - I have some experience with plastic and scratches.

Sanding plastic will at best make it dull, but more likely just scratch it a lot.

There are kits you can buy for polishing plastic - a paste and something to rub with, either by hand or connecting to a power-drill or angle-grinder. These to work as long as the scratches aren't too deep - in which case (no pun intended) it's nothing much you can do other than "ignore the problem".

--
Mats

psychopath
08-05-2007, 07:49 AM
I'm thinking a kit like this (http://www.amazon.com/Novus-Polish-Plastic-Scratch-Remover/dp/B0000WUC7E) would work then?

I'd just get new side panels, but they're so expensive, if I do that I may as well get a whole new case.

matsp
08-05-2007, 04:31 PM
I'm thinking a kit like this (http://www.amazon.com/Novus-Polish-Plastic-Scratch-Remover/dp/B0000WUC7E) would work then?

I'd just get new side panels, but they're so expensive, if I do that I may as well get a whole new case.

For some reason, that link won't load in my browser, but from the name of the link, it sounds something like the stuff you want, yes.

--
Mats