PDA

View Full Version : Automatic function linking

Queatrix
07-10-2007, 01:28 PM
I was thinking, when people answer questions with a function, a lot of times the thread opener will ask for a link or how to use the function. And some people already link the function name to microsofts library. So why not impliment an automatic function linker? That way, everytime some posts a post with a function name in it, it will automaticly be linked to msdn. It would be very convenient and would cut down on lazy posts just a litte. Tell me why it would or wouldn't work in your opinion, and what you think. -Quaytrix

AverageSoftware
07-10-2007, 01:38 PM
Not everyone is using Windows.

Functions with names like "CreateWindow" are very common, and it would be silly to assume that someone was always referring to Microsoft's version.

MacGyver
07-10-2007, 01:41 PM
Would you define a function name as one which has the required ()'s. So what happens if I write CreateThread but leave off the ()'s? Also, finding the right MSDN article might be more of a pain than you might realize.

laserlight
07-10-2007, 01:43 PM
It would be so convenient that it would really irritate me. If I want to link, I will do so myself. What I might support is a bbcode tag that is a shorthand for a link to a reference page, much like the [man] bbcode tag used at a PHP community I frequent that provides a shorthand for links to the PHP manual. Of course, if only MSDN was supported as a reference I would be very upset.

AverageSoftware
07-10-2007, 01:49 PM
Also, finding the right MSDN article might be more of a pain than you might realize.

I have enough trouble finding things at MSDN when I'm doing it manually. I can't imagine trying to it automatically.

MacGyver
07-10-2007, 02:27 PM
I have enough trouble finding things at MSDN when I'm doing it manually. I can't imagine trying to it automatically.

Usage of google to search MSDN ftw! :p

prog-bman
07-10-2007, 02:35 PM
Can we build in an automatic Queatrix poll deleter. That would be swell.

Queatrix
07-10-2007, 04:56 PM
I see your points. But actually, finding the right page wouldn't be hard. If you just type in "CreateWindow Function" or "WM_CREATE Notification" in msdn's library search, the first result will be what you're looking for, same goes for the other functions and notifications. Either that, or a library could be compiled.

VirtualAce
07-11-2007, 12:47 AM
Queatrix you just don't get it do you?

Stop creating so many polls. I'm closing this thread.