PDA

View Full Version : [edit] Edit tags? [/edit]

dwks
06-27-2007, 12:57 PM
I always put my edits inside "edit" tags. That is, my first edit will look like this:
Edit 1.
Then this:
Edit 2.
then
Edit 3.
And so on.

Is there any chance that this forum will ever recognize [edit] tags like this? Does anyone else do this? Or is this a lost cause? :)

I suppose this should be a poll. Okay, now it is. Vote for edit tags! :D

MacGyver
06-27-2007, 12:57 PM
Yay! Edit tags ftw! :D

laserlight
06-27-2007, 12:59 PM
I usually declare an edit block... like:

EDIT:
/* post script stuff edited in here */

Daved
06-27-2007, 01:04 PM
I'd use edit tags for major edits if it was available, but I don't think it's worth the effort unless it is an available feature with the forum software.

Right now I generally use something like laserlight's version for major edits, and I small edits I don't indicate.

dwks
06-27-2007, 01:08 PM
Even though I voted for edit tags, and I usually do use them, I don't indicate extremely trivial edits. Like spell-checking. See the first post. :) And I don't always indicate when I remove text (usually because it's wrong :D ). But whenever I add information, it's usually indicated.

Anyway, I was just curious. I'm sure there are as many edit styles are there are members.

Govtcheez
06-27-2007, 01:11 PM
I usually just say edit: whatever

I really don't see what purpose actual hardcoded edit tags would serve.

dwks
06-27-2007, 01:15 PM
I don't know why I do it, I just do. :) I just wanted to see what other people thought about edit tags. You're right, they don't really make sense -- if the board went to all of the trouble to allow edit tags, it could add them in itself. It could put a box around added text, etc.

Also, I forgot to mention. I don't usually edit my posts to add new information if someone has posted after me.

Something else I've always wondered about: when does the "last edited by user" text appear? I was told that it appears if someone saw the un-edited version. But that doesn't make sense, because I've edited posts before without "last edited by dwks" appearing, and had people comment on the un-edited version.

laserlight
06-27-2007, 01:18 PM
I think that it appears after a short grace period of a few minutes after you post whereby you can edit your post and have "plausible denialability" that it was not edited.

dwks
06-27-2007, 01:19 PM
Mmm, that's what I thought too . . . but how long is "a few minutes", exactly?

Not that it matters too much. But after all, http://cboard.cprogramming.com/showpost.php?p=646078&postcount=5.

Daved
06-27-2007, 01:22 PM
More than a couple and less than a bunch?

You can try looking at the vbulletin site for more information. I believe it's part of that software.

dwks
06-27-2007, 01:33 PM
Looks like 5 minutes might be the default. http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=143822

JaWiB
06-27-2007, 01:50 PM
The boards should really have some sort of revision control system so we can view changes and make fun of people when they say stupid things.

Sentral
06-27-2007, 02:07 PM
I usually just add text without adding anything else. It says when you edit your post at the bottom, so I don't see a need to add anything else.

QuestionC
06-27-2007, 03:25 PM
Edits should be used for small typographical correction, and nothing more. Trying to edit a forum post is like trying to rewrite an email that was already responded to.

People replying to your post depend on the assumption that the meaning of your post will not change while they are posting.
People reading the thread rely on the assumption that the posts occur in chronological order, and that they are replying to each other in that order.
People checking replies on a thread rely on the assumption that new information appears at the bottom.

Consider posts where someone asks for code, and posts their source.
The next person replies by pointing out a problem.
The original uses edit to partly fixes his code. And asks about a new problem in it.

Now the second post has lost its context, and is meaningless. You might as well delete all posts in a thread that occur after an edit like that.

I use the edit feature, but I really think it shouldn't be there at all.

QuestionC
06-27-2007, 03:27 PM
And if you do intend to modify the meaning of your post... hypothetically by mentioning a point that you had forgotten to bring up, there's no downside to just making another post.

Sentral
06-27-2007, 04:03 PM
Edits should be used for small typographical correction, and nothing more. Trying to edit a forum post is like trying to rewrite an email that was already responded to.

People replying to your post depend on the assumption that the meaning of your post will not change while they are posting.
People reading the thread rely on the assumption that the posts occur in chronological order, and that they are replying to each other in that order.
People checking replies on a thread rely on the assumption that new information appears at the bottom.

Consider posts where someone asks for code, and posts their source.
The next person replies by pointing out a problem.
The original uses edit to partly fixes his code. And asks about a new problem in it.

Now the second post has lost its context, and is meaningless. You might as well delete all posts in a thread that occur after an edit like that.

Yup! I think there should be some type of notification, telling you someone has edited a post. Like when you go into a thread in which you posted previously, and if someone has made an edit, a dialog box should pop up saying "Blah has changed his previous post". Atleast, something! However, this seems to be a problem with all forums not just vBulletin.

Govtcheez
06-27-2007, 04:07 PM
Can you imagine what would happen if we didn't, though?

Govtcheez
06-27-2007, 04:07 PM
I mean people would be posting everytime they wanted to add something they forgot

Govtcheez
06-27-2007, 04:08 PM
And then you'll have people who can't rub two brain cells together (queatrix) spamming the hell out of threads

Govtcheez
And then somoeone would misspell something

Govtcheez
And say "my bad I spelled 'someone' wrong, sorry"

Govtcheez
So in conclusion I disagree with your idea.

robwhit
06-27-2007, 04:20 PM
I think the current way of doing things is just fine, but hey, forums are a strongly-typed language, right? ;) If edit tags can add a bit more clarity and structure to the board, then why not add them?

JaWiB
06-27-2007, 04:24 PM
So in conclusion I disagree with your idea.

Memories of TK :)

It would be nice if the forum notified you if someone replied while you were editing a post or replying to a post. I usually only edit my posts if I'm the last post and it hasn't been very long since I posted. Otherwise, I'd worry about people not noticing the edit.

Govtcheez
06-27-2007, 04:28 PM
I think the current way of doing things is just fine, but hey, forums are a strongly-typed language, right? ;) If edit tags can add a bit more clarity and structure to the board, then why not add them?
The hell have you been for the last 5 1/2 years?

> It would be nice if the forum notified you if someone replied while you were editing a post or replying to a post

I'd be pretty surprised if there wasn't a vB plugin that did this. SMF does it, I know that much.

robwhit
06-27-2007, 09:58 PM
The hell have you been for the last 5 1/2 years?haha! I thought no one would notice. Or did you just look at my join date? :)

I was having symptoms of creative starvation so I decided to stop doing programming stuff for a while.

axon
06-27-2007, 10:02 PM
i either do the edit tags or type edit: - meh

however, I think this board has a time limit for edits...and if you are adding anything other than trivial info (spelling, typos, etc) you should indicate an edit done. With the amount of people we have here your post could have been read a 100 times before you edit it. If it is a hot topic I would just make another reply indicating the edit.

Govtcheez
06-28-2007, 04:54 AM
haha! I thought no one would notice. Or did you just look at my join date? :)

No, I remember you. I've seen you hanging out in the "members online" directory but hadn't seen you post until now. Looks like you've been busy since you've been back, though :)

robwhit
06-28-2007, 08:17 AM
Looks like you've been busy since you've been back, though :)yup, frost pist in the gd.
btw, it's good to see you're still around too.

Govtcheez
06-28-2007, 08:25 AM
I haven't written any C in a few years, honestly. I just stick around for GD

Queatrix
06-28-2007, 08:31 AM
>> I haven't written any C in a few years, honestly. I just stick around for GD
Yeah, I've noticed. :mad:

Govtcheez
06-28-2007, 08:32 AM
>> I haven't written any C in a few years, honestly. I just stick around for GD
Yeah, I've noticed. :mad:
Shhhh, the adults are talking

robwhit
06-28-2007, 08:41 AM
lol hi Queatrix

yeah I'm working on building my synergestic capabitlities to create a real-world slution for the rapidly growing computer electronics industry.

sort of.

edit: I may have overstated things...

Govtcheez
06-28-2007, 08:53 AM
Ah, management then.

Queatrix
06-28-2007, 09:02 AM
There should be some restriction that only allows you to post as many posts in the GD as you have in the rest of the board.

Govtcheez
06-28-2007, 09:41 AM
that's a good idea here's another

You're adopted

pianorain
06-28-2007, 10:23 AM
There should be some restriction that only allows you to post as many posts in the GD as you have in the rest of the board.I'd hate for people to start spamming up the other boards just to post in GD, though.

robwhit
06-28-2007, 01:14 PM
Ah, management then.actually I was just trying to one-up you ;) there is no project

manofsteel972
06-28-2007, 03:27 PM
I know this would probably be complicated to add, but most of us are familiar with version control. Why not just make it so that you can page through the edits. That way you don't have a lot of repeated text and you can note the changes. People posting a response can have a button added to their post so you reference the proper version they were responding to.

Thantos
06-28-2007, 05:31 PM
As a forum dev (not vB) I have to ask it this way:

What would the edit BBC tag actually do? Most BBC tags are really just some sort of string replacement. So what would you do for this one?

Daved
06-28-2007, 05:39 PM
I would say change the color and/or font properties of the text so that it stands out from the rest of the post would be one easy solution. One could still edit their post without the tags for simple typos and stuff, but to make new sentences/paragraphs stand out in a uniform way they could use the [edit] tags.

The idea of versions of the post would be nice but is quite complicated unless you were working on your own forum software and could handle the actual event of the poster clicking "submit edit" or whatever.

Govtcheez
06-28-2007, 05:43 PM
On another board I'm a member of they made sarcasm tags that just changed the color of the text slightly

dwks
06-30-2007, 11:50 AM
Edit tags could be much like code tags. They start a new paragraph and add a border around the text. That way you could have indented edits:
I think no wait, it doesn't
would look something like

I think
no wait, it doesn't
except with "edit:" instead of "code:". Some vertical space might need to be eliminated for that to work.

Of course the =2 part could be optional, I just like putting it in.

Or it could be something as simple as changing the fore- or background colour of the text. Nested edits would be hard to indicate then, but that doesn't matter too much. Significant edits aren't usually nested.

Perhaps edit tags could be like inlinecode tags on some forums, such as DaniWeb. That would eliminate the space issue.

There could also be special edit tags added by moderators: http://cboard.cprogramming.com/showthread.php?t=91279

swoopy
07-04-2007, 04:42 AM
>Mmm, that's what I thought too . . . but how long is "a few minutes", exactly?
It's something close to 2 minutes after which the "last edited by user" will appear. Unless you're a moderator.

ulillillia
07-06-2007, 10:02 AM
It's the same on pretty much any forum - an indication saying "edit: text" (or "edit #2: text" when multiple edits are made). In most cases, I just add more text but in some cases (the most common of which is when I have a typo in the UBBCode causing odd looks), I make the changes in the post but flag it in my usual way with the "edit: text".