PDA

View Full Version : Yes, but what does it mean?

Kennedy
06-27-2007, 09:50 AM
A while back I stumbled (via Netflicks) onto Ocean's 11 -- BTW, great movie, and 12, and 13 (just released in theaters). In 11, there was the following quote:
Oh, leave it out! You tossers! You had one job to do!I'm guessing that, due to the accent, Basher is supposed to be descended/originated from England. Toward that end, I'm assuming that this phrase is also an English saying. So, what does the phrase "You tossers" mean? Is this vulgar, or is it just like saying "You idiots!"?

If one of you fine Englanders would give me the answer to this, I'd greatly appreciate it.

MacGyver
06-27-2007, 10:00 AM
For future reference, I wouldn't post what you believe to be a potentially vulgar word on public forums... lol....

If you really want to know, check wikipedia. ;)

indigo0086
06-27-2007, 10:20 AM
I can't accept that somene needing to find a meaning of a vulgarity would go to Cboards before google.

Kennedy
06-27-2007, 10:21 AM
I can't accept that somene needing to find a meaning of a vulgarity would go to Cboards before google.

You assume too much.

Govtcheez
06-27-2007, 10:28 AM
Someone get queatrix to post a poll about this

MacGyver
06-27-2007, 10:32 AM
Someone get queatrix to post a poll about this

Can we hijack this topic and have a political debate? :D

Salem
06-27-2007, 10:38 AM
Yeah, the UK has a new prime minister today.
Unfortunately, it's the arse end of the same pantomime horse.

Kennedy
06-27-2007, 10:38 AM
Can we hijack this topic and have a political debate? :D

Sure, I don't mind. . . What type of debate would you like?

Govtcheez
06-27-2007, 10:41 AM
Why don't you guys kick the royals out? We did that and we're way better than the UK now.

Hell, I bet Prince Charles can't even throw a punch.

Kennedy
06-27-2007, 10:41 AM

Salem, are you one of the Tories?

QuestionC
06-27-2007, 10:49 AM
Source: Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary (1913)

Tosser \Toss"er\, n.
Ohe who tosser. --J. Fletcher.Best definition ever.

hk_mp5kpdw
06-27-2007, 10:56 AM
Here:
http://www.peevish.co.uk/slang/t.htm

Or here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tosser

Salem
06-27-2007, 11:11 AM
> We did that and we're way better than the UK now.
Do you have a new president as well?
Cos I'd be interested in your definition of "better" if you've still got "dubya"

> Why don't you guys kick the royals out?
I could put them on ebay to see who wants them.

> Salem, are you one of the Tories?
At the moment, it's like choosing between "suffocation" and "poisoning".

Govtcheez
06-27-2007, 11:23 AM
> Cos I'd be interested in your definition of "better" if you've still got "dubya"

We have better soccer (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/soccer/06/19/bc.soc.galaxy.beckham.ap/index.html). Also we basically perfected music. The Stones, the Who, the Beatles, etc. It doesn't get any better than that.

> I could put them on ebay to see who wants them.

Serious question: does anyone actually give a crap about them besides the tabloids? When the Queen was here a couple months ago I couldn't go anywhere without hearing about her being at the Kentucky Derby and it drove me crazy.

Kennedy
06-27-2007, 11:39 AM
Here:
http://www.peevish.co.uk/slang/t.htm

Or here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tosser

Again, herein lies my problem. Is it vulgar in Europe, or is it just like saying you idiot? The wiki article I had already found and it didn't really help me that much. The peevish one I hadn't seen, but which is the authority?

Reason being -- I don't use vulgar language, but I liked that expression and I have picked it up. I'll drop it in a heartbeat, however, if it is vulgar in _ANY_ part of the world.

Thanks for the links, however!

Govtcheez
06-27-2007, 11:41 AM
1) Why are you using a word when you don't know the meaning?

2) Why are you so concerned that it may be vulgar thousands of miles away?

Kennedy
06-27-2007, 11:45 AM
> Cos I'd be interested in your definition of "better" if you've still got "dubya"

We have better soccer (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/soccer/06/19/bc.soc.galaxy.beckham.ap/index.html). Also we basically perfected music. The Stones, the Who, the Beatles, etc. It doesn't get any better than that.

> I could put them on ebay to see who wants them.

Serious question: does anyone actually give a crap about them besides the tabloids? When the Queen was here a couple months ago I couldn't go anywhere without hearing about her being at the Kentucky Derby and it drove me crazy.

I'm confused. . . Are you a citizen of the USA? Are you using "we" in the sentence that says "we basically perfected music" as in that WE of England? Are you aware that ALL of these bands started in England??? I'm confused by what you point of this sentence was. Listing these three top bands of all times as coming from the USA is pretty lame.

QuestionC
06-27-2007, 11:47 AM
Do you have a new president as well?
Cos I'd be interested in your definition of "better" if you've still got "dubya"We take solace in the fact that our government has two legislative houses, and a real executive.

Kennedy
06-27-2007, 11:48 AM
1) Why are you using a word when you don't know the meaning?
One can assume a meaning from within the context of the situation in which it was used, however:

2) Why are you so concerned that it may be vulgar thousands of miles away?
one may wish to "shun the very appearance of evil" if that is what one believes.

Govtcheez
06-27-2007, 11:50 AM
I'm confused. . . Are you a citizen of the USA? Are you using "we" in the sentence that says "we basically perfected music" as in that WE of England? Are you aware that ALL of these bands started in England??? I'm confused by what you point of this sentence was. Listing these three top bands of all times as coming from the USA is pretty lame.
What are you talking about? The Beatles are from Detroit, the Stones are from Cleveland (why do you think they built the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame there?), and the Who is from Bangor, Maine.

Do some research, nublet

Govtcheez
06-27-2007, 11:51 AM
> One can assume a meaning from within the context of the situation in which it was used, however:

You'd have to be pretty dumb not to figure out that it's a vulgarity or at the very least a derogatory comment.

pianorain
06-27-2007, 12:03 PM
> Salem, are you one of the Tories?
At the moment, it's like choosing between "suffocation" and "poisoning".A pretty sound analogy to any two-party system, it seems. Where's that headbanging smiley when you need it?

Kennedy
06-27-2007, 12:14 PM
What are you talking about? The Beatles are from Detroit, the Stones are from Cleveland (why do you think they built the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame there?), and the Who is from Bangor, Maine.

Do some research, nublet

Did you ever hear of the "British Invasion" that happened in the late 50's early 60's?

EDIT: You are talking about The Beatles, as in John, Paul, George, and Ringo, right?

Govtcheez
06-27-2007, 12:18 PM
Did you ever hear of the "British Invasion" that happened in the late 50's early 60's?
Yeah, but what does WWII have to do with music?

abachler
06-27-2007, 12:22 PM
Also we basically perfected music. The Stones, the Who, the Beatles, etc. It doesn't get any better than that.

bleh, those chaps are a'ight, but they cant hold a candle in the wind to Hendrix, REO, Scorpions, S&G, CCR, Johnny Johnson, Fats Domino, etc.

@nthony
06-27-2007, 04:23 PM
See now, I thought "Tosser" might have been a shorthand for "Salad Tosser", oh well, what might have been...

Canada, England: woof woof, pant pant pant, shhluuurrrppp!
The Queen of England: Whose a good little boy! Who wants an overly expensive doggie bone paid by tax-payers money! Oh yes he does! Now you be a good little mindless subject! Mommy monarchy that no longer makes sense in today's modern world will take good care of you, yes she will! Not like your bad little biter brother, USA, he's a baaaaad doggie!

Brian
06-28-2007, 10:12 AM
Why don't you guys kick the royals out? We did that and we're way better than the UK now.

Hell, I bet Prince Charles can't even throw a punch.

yeah it must be fun to vote a congress in to end the war and find they can't do anything.

Brian
06-28-2007, 10:14 AM
Also in England tosser is just about equivalent to calling someone an a-hole

indigo0086
06-28-2007, 10:14 AM
We created Jazz Govtcheez, it's as perfect as it gets. You can keep your bobbed haircut musicians ;b

Govtcheez
06-28-2007, 10:16 AM
yeah it must be fun to vote a congress in to end the war and find they can't do anything.
Everyone who is surprised by this raise your hand

Brian
06-28-2007, 10:19 AM
also I hope Gordon calls an election and then wins. I ........ing hate David Cameron

indigo0086
06-28-2007, 10:30 AM
At least we aren't taxed by the church. The catholic church at that.