PDA

View Full Version : snow white..

iain
01-20-2002, 12:31 PM
i have just recieved an email containning a joke about snow white and the seven dwarfs. Half of the joke was in the email and there was an attacthemnt with a .gl9 file extension.

the originator address was also unrecognised, i returned it with a warning email. Is this a potential virus, has anyone else heard of it or recieved it.?

Unregistered
01-20-2002, 01:40 PM
Yes it is a virus.

Brian
01-20-2002, 01:45 PM
Care to support that argument?

taylorguitarman
01-20-2002, 01:48 PM
Sounds like the W95.Hybris virus.
Here's more info-
http://rr.sans.org/malicious/snow_white.php

iain
01-20-2002, 02:06 PM
thankyou - i have now confirmed it is a virus, the subject matches exactly. For your information the originators address is
hahaha@sexyfun.com - ihave checked this email mailing list and it appears to some kind of email address. i will be reporting this to the service provider.

Brian
01-20-2002, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by iain
thankyou - i have now confirmed it is a virus, the subject matches exactly. For your information the originators address is
hahaha@sexyfun.com - ihave checked this email mailing list and it appears to some kind of email address. i will be reporting this to the service provider.

WTF? reporting him? He probably just opened to the virus and it spread to everyone on his contact list. That's no reason to get banned from your ISP.

Brian
01-20-2002, 02:19 PM
oic

iain
01-20-2002, 02:21 PM
i understand that - i havnt reported him to the isp. the virus is being spread from the email address above, this appears to be a genuine address used as an ML, so i have made the network administrator aware of this.
including a copy of the message headers.