PDA

View Full Version : How did you learn C programming?

Utopus
06-25-2007, 04:14 AM
My question is, "Is it necessary that one go to school to learn C?"

What are some, or if there is any, requirements to be an expert programmer? Is it just how much effort one put into it..?

I'm asking this because I havn't got any schooling on this matter and I'm now trying to study it on my days off from my work.

So I'd like to get a response from individuals of this site about how they got to this point. Perhaps, a brief history of yourself would be nice. :)

CornedBee
06-25-2007, 04:17 AM
I learned C and C++ just from books, never in school.

Utopus
06-25-2007, 04:19 AM
>I learned C and C++ just from books, never in school.

But did you go to school that teachs you about computer?

zacs7
06-25-2007, 04:21 AM
I learned C by reading a C++ book, and really picking up the pieces ;)

hk_mp5kpdw
06-25-2007, 05:18 AM
I was taught C in a class, everything I know about C++ was self taught from books and forums like this one. You don't need to take a class, just a good book and a place (like this one) where you can ask questions when you get stuck.

Queatrix
06-25-2007, 05:58 AM
I learned from books, forums, online tuts, and lots of example code. And yes, you do have to put alot of effort into it, C(++) isn't easy to learn.

>> But did you go to school that teachs you about computer?
Basic computer operating is totally different than actuall programming, it wouldn't make much of a difference.

vart
06-25-2007, 06:21 AM
Basic computer operating is totally different than actuall programming, it wouldn't make much of a difference.

But CS course can give you some viewing of the programming that is hard to achieve just by studying examples... Programming is not just a code-writing, it is a little bit more there.

Prelude
06-25-2007, 06:25 AM
I learned C from books and experimentation.

CornedBee
06-25-2007, 06:38 AM
But did you go to school that teachs you about computer?

Not really. Everything we learned at school about computers I already knew.

On the other hand, I later started studying CS, and I learned lots of new things there.

biosninja
06-25-2007, 07:23 AM
I learned C/C++ in my Computer Science course

and no....you dont have to go to class to learn C/C++ just get a few books and start reading/coding

abachler
06-25-2007, 02:16 PM
Well, I learned programming by reading the manual that came with my Commadore VIC-20. Later I taught myself assembly by reading the manual that came with the compiler for the VIC-20. Then when they taught us basic computer operation in 7th grade, I hacked the grades and gave my friends A's. They had a class in college for C/C++, but it was mainly targetted to the PLC-5, so I mostly learned everything I know about C/C++ from books, and practical experience. About the only CS I know is amdahl's equation, and that its only good as a rule of thumb measure. IMO the best people in any field tend to be self taught.

Tonto
06-25-2007, 03:08 PM
I learned it from the internet, which is a really bad idea I might add. The internet suxx

laserlight
06-25-2007, 03:15 PM
I learnt PHP from books and by helping people online. Later, I was taught C++ in junior college, but for it the first year it was basically a variant of C with cin and cout. They introduced classes and OOP in the second year with minimal coverage of C++ strings. I pretty much had to pick up more modern C++ myself from books and online messageboards.

brewbuck
06-25-2007, 04:13 PM
The knowledge of C was downloaded directly into my brain when I interfaced with the Ancient Database on P4R-611. Along with that critical knowledge, I also received the information required to make the world's first buckwheat pancake.

zacs7
06-25-2007, 04:17 PM
Really? I learnt C when I was stuck in a time loop because of P4X-639 :)

* has 96GB of Stargate on his PC :)

h_howee
06-25-2007, 05:29 PM
learned it all from websites and a copy of the tutorials at www.gametutorials.com that my friend gave me
I'm taking a course next year just to raise my average :)

Daved
06-25-2007, 05:54 PM
Learned C in college from a class. Learned "C++" from a book and a couple discussion sections. Learned better C++ from better books and internet forums like this one. Learned programming from classes in college.

With the right books you don't need to go to school to learn the language, but it would probably be a little easier. For learning programming in general it is probably much more important to go to school, although still not essential.

swgh
07-09-2007, 04:28 PM
I took a basic C course in college after I left school and then moved on to uni where I study C++. I still use C for small programs and self projects, its doesnt hurt to know both

cboard_member
07-09-2007, 05:12 PM
Books, internet and experimentation... lots, lots and lots of experimentation.
Annoyingly "Introduction to C" was one of the modules this year in uni - I only attended 3 after talks with my course director :)