PDA

View Full Version : How would you pronounce...

Queatrix
04-27-2007, 08:49 PM
It's about time for another crazy poll, so:
How would you pronounce the word "Queatrix"?
The reason I'm asking is because a lot of people that have actually said the word to me say "qeetrix" rather than the real thing, so I'm thinking of changing it to "quaytrix".

Dave_Sinkula
04-27-2007, 08:59 PM
None of the above.Cue-ay-trix.

MacGyver
04-27-2007, 09:00 PM
kweetrix sounds good enough. :p

Desolation
04-27-2007, 09:37 PM
None of the above.Cue-ay-trix.

Ditto.

Dave_Sinkula
04-27-2007, 09:47 PM
Corollary/piggybacking/thread derailment: how do folks mentally pronounce my last name? I've probably heard 'em all, but now I am curious.

As far as I care, there are two correct answers.

MacGyver
04-27-2007, 09:48 PM
Sin-kool-ah?

Dave_Sinkula
04-27-2007, 09:50 PM
Bzzt. My least favorite.

MacGyver
04-27-2007, 10:01 PM
Why does this remind me of Keeping Up Appearances? Bucket vs Bouquet. :D

whiteflags
04-27-2007, 10:11 PM
Corollary/piggybacking/thread derailment: how do folks mentally pronounce my last name? I've probably heard 'em all, but now I am curious.

It just rolls off my tongue. Sinkula sounds a lot like Dracula to me but sink replaces the first syllable. Quite an interesting name!

Did that make sense?

DavidP
04-27-2007, 10:13 PM
none of the above.

quay - ah - tricks

brewbuck
04-27-2007, 10:16 PM
It's about time for another crazy poll, so:
How would you pronounce the word "Queatrix"?

I'd say, Kway-a-trix.

QuestionC
04-27-2007, 10:16 PM
You're all wrong, it's qwee-trix!

Rashakil Fol
04-27-2007, 10:55 PM
'Queatrix' rhymes with 'theatrics'.

ulillillia
04-28-2007, 12:08 AM
KYOO trihks - that's how I pronounce it. Strange question though, but oh well.

CornedBee
04-28-2007, 03:12 AM
koo-ah-trix here

dave: not at all :)

maxorator
04-28-2007, 03:26 AM
The silly English. :D

In Estonian every letter is always pronounced the same way, so everything can be pronounced and everything has only one way how to pronounce it. :)

cboard_member
04-28-2007, 03:57 AM
Ditto.

Double ditto.

Sin-kyule-ah

Daved
04-28-2007, 09:27 AM
It just rolls off my tongue. Sinkula sounds a lot like Dracula to me but sink replaces the first syllable.

I'd say, Kway-a-trix.

laserlight
04-28-2007, 09:37 AM
Queer-tricks.

Govtcheez
04-28-2007, 09:47 AM
"Dumbass"

brewbuck
04-28-2007, 09:55 AM
KYOO trihks - that's how I pronounce it. Strange question though, but oh well.

You're telling people what's "strange?"

Yoshi
04-28-2007, 11:34 AM
Kill a Trix

MacGyver
04-28-2007, 11:41 AM
Thread hijack: Anybody remember Trix cereal? lol.... Reminds me of it when I see his name and his colorful avatar... lol.

Daved
04-28-2007, 03:06 PM
Doesn't remind me of Trix at all.. the colors are too dark.

Besides, I've hated Trix since they changed the flavor like ten years ago.

Dave_Sinkula
04-28-2007, 10:32 PM
It just rolls off my tongue. Sinkula sounds a lot like Dracula to me but sink replaces the first syllable. Quite an interesting name!

Did that make sense?That'd be my first preference. SINK yoo luh.

As I remember Mom on the phone doing the spelling: "Sink, as in sink or swim; you, the letter u; la, l-a". Or something to that affect. Much, much later relatives told me the "correct" pronunciation is more like "sin KUH luh".

I just go by "Dave". And if the phone rings and people struggle with my last name, either me or my wife will toy with them like lepers.

*No lepers were harmed, nor none should be offended, I hope. I'm just lacking polically correct imagination at the moment.

vart
04-28-2007, 11:11 PM
kveh - triks

sin - koo - luh

( And I'm not sure that my writing represents my spelling correcly... ;) )

brewbuck
04-28-2007, 11:18 PM
kveh - triks

sin - koo - luh

( And I'm not sure that my writing represents my spelling correcly... ;) )

How about you? Is it "Vart," or are we to use the German V, which would make it more like "Fart?" ;)

vart
04-29-2007, 12:15 AM
never meet someone using the last one...
And no, it is not Vart, just vart :p

PS. And if you want the german prononsation, it should be like in the "warte" (Ich warte auf dich).

CornedBee
04-29-2007, 02:49 AM
The German V can be pronounced either way, depending on the word.

Queatrix
04-29-2007, 04:13 PM
Wow, I didn't realize that there where so many different ways of saying my (user)name.

sin-cool-uh

The silly English. :D
In Estonian every letter is always pronounced the same way, so everything can be pronounced and everything has only one way how to pronounce it. :)
You'r my best friend now. ;)

Queer-tricks.
Now I am really considering getting it changed.

"Dumbass"
Butthead.

@nthony
04-29-2007, 11:27 PM
Well, going based on English pronounciation rules:
"Qu" forms the "k" sound "Kuh" as in "Kuh-een" (queen) or "Kuh-aye-zar" (quasar).
"Que" forms the sound "Kuh-e" (e as in heck) as in "Kuh-e-shun" (question) or "Kuh-e-bec" (quebec)
So, "Queatrix", might sound like "Kuh-e-aye-trix", But like many latin-based languages, English often allows consecutive vowels to be slurred with pseudo-consonants to aid the mouth. Particularly in the case of consecutive vowels, closing or pursing the lips after forming the first vowel aids in forming the next one, as in the conjunction of "Qu" and a vowel. Pursing the lips after sounding "kuh" and then re-opening them to form the next vowel produces the pseudo-consonant "w" (the sound made by blowing air through pursed lips) as in "Kuh-ween" or "Kuh-way-zar". So a more "mouth-friendly" pronounciation might be "kuh-weh-aye-trix". However, the sound "kuh" and its following vowel may be further slurred to form the consonant pair "kw" followed by the vowel. In the case of an "e" (as in heck), it will form the sound "kweh" as in "kwehst" (quest) or "kwehs(c)hun" (question) or "kwehlm" (quelm) (in the case of a, it would be "kway" as in "kwayzar" or "kwayke" (quake)). So now the sound "kuh-weh-aye-trix" becomes "kweh-aye-trix". From here, the "aye" sound may subjugated into the "kweh" sound to produce the final pronounciation as:

Kway-trix

However, other pronounciations may be formed depending on how that last step is carried out:
Kwee-trix
kweh-trix

Thankfully, Dave's is a lot easier :D:
Sin-Coo-la
maybe even Sin-Kuh-la