PDA

View Full Version : graphics programming idea

iain
01-17-2002, 11:02 AM
im posting this as a suggestion, if you are bored, have a lot of time on you r hands or fancy a programming challenge give it a go. I would like to program this myself but dont have the required knowledge at the moment.

(and hey - if this makes money i want a cut :) )

a device driver that sits between the graphics card and the kernel and allocates a given amount of the physical system memory to the graphics card for use. On a machine with a decent amount RAm you could assign an extra 16MB of graphics memory to the card at very little performance loss and a major graphics power increase.

this is only theory , but would i work?

no-one
01-17-2002, 11:43 AM
if im not mistaken the OS already will do this...

taylorguitarman
01-17-2002, 01:20 PM
They also have motherboards with integrated video that do the same kind of thing. I just put one together for my uncle. It can use up to 64MB of system memory. Not a bad way to go for a business PC but I'd never do that if I wanted to play games on it.

iain
01-17-2002, 02:39 PM
o/s desnt assign extra memory to the video adapter (afaik)
and i know you can motherboards that do thsi (the agp architecture uses this system) but i was thinkning about the pci graphics cards.

novacain
01-17-2002, 11:03 PM
>>pci graphics cards

Whats that. Are they like ISA NIC's.

iain
01-18-2002, 08:41 AM
pci is peripheral component interface - they used to be used to connect things like graphics cards. Now the PCI arhitecture holds things like sound cards, modems, ethernet adapters and so on.
pci superceeded isa - the pci bus is fastera nd more efficient now the agp system is incoporated into most computers - agp is advanced graphics port and created specifically for graphics adaptors.