PDA

View Full Version : LaTeX help

Draco
04-17-2007, 10:42 PM
Hi all,
I know latex isn't exactly programming, but maybe someone here can help. For some reason I cannot figure out, my sections are being written in the table of contents as 0.1.0....0.2.0...etc. I have added a few non-numbered sections into the table of contents with
\addcontentsline{} I am using the section option when adding to the table of contents, and am otherwise only writing sections normally with
\section{} My report has no other types of structures, like \part or \chapter.

Perspective
04-18-2007, 10:21 AM
Sections default to depth 2 (with chapters being 1). You should be able to change it with something like

\setcounter{tocdepth}{1}.

Have a look at this:
http://web.image.ufl.edu/help/latex/toc.shtml
http://web.image.ufl.edu/help/latex/intext.shtml

Oh, and LaTeX is a declaritive programming language, it's fair game ;)

Draco
04-18-2007, 12:13 PM
Thanks! I have tried that in several spots, including right before and after \tableofcontents , and before my first numbered section, but nothing has changed.

Perspective
04-18-2007, 12:58 PM
hmm, i've never actually written a paper that uses a ToC... if that doesn't work I'm out of ideas.

twomers
04-18-2007, 01:15 PM
Do you have much of it done? Would it take long to redo it? Just copy and paste redo so more or a 'redo' really. As you do each section keep on building the PDF and seeing if it's still broken.

I found LaTeX quite frustrating when I used it this year, I'm quite happy with MS Word or some other such program. What OS are you using? And what program, out of a matter of interest.

Perspective
04-18-2007, 03:23 PM
I switched to LaTeX this year as well and I'll never go back. It's simply marvelous at formatting everying, placing figures and the top/bottom of pages, references, etc...

I use "Kile" on linux and "TeXShop" on Mac.

Draco
04-18-2007, 03:59 PM
I have tried the cut and paste redoing procedure which didn't work. I have also tried it in two different IDE's. I have tried kile on linux, and Texmaker w/ miktek on winxp. I really like the advantages of latex in terms of formatting big technical reports, but obviously I am running through some minor issues.