PDA

View Full Version : Playing cool with the stereo-type we get

swgh
03-29-2007, 01:51 PM
Hi, I though id bring up an interesting topic on the "names" people refer programmers too.

At university I study CS, and all my so-called-mates I hang out with outside uni reckon Im somwhat of a geek and nerd and somone who sits at home and codes all day ( proberly true ;) )

My question is this:

Why or what made programmers ( and people who are learning it ) be seen by others as a nerdish person? I know it sounds petty, but I just joke alomg when they call me it. I put it down to the fact that most do not quite understand the roots of CS so mearly mock it. But I could be wrong and barking up the wrong tree.

What do you make of the stereo type names programmers get?

Govtcheez
03-29-2007, 02:00 PM
> Why or what made programmers ( and people who are learning it ) be seen by others as a nerdish person?

Because a lot of them are nerds?

> I put it down to the fact that most do not quite understand the roots of CS so mearly mock it.

Nope, it's because of nerds.

edit: Let's break down some facts.
-You've got almost 1000 posts on an internet forum dedicated to programming
-You admit that the idea you sit at home and code all day is "proberly true"
-You've got a conversation from Red Dwarf (?) in your signature

SlyMaelstrom
03-29-2007, 02:16 PM
... and just so you don't feel so bad, I'm sure Govtcheez fully understands that the self-proclaimation of being the mayor of an imaginary town doesn't exactly make him the hippest cat in Michigan. We're all nerds here... it's a simple fact. The first step is acceptance.

Govtcheez
03-29-2007, 02:22 PM
> I'm sure Govtcheez fully understands that the self-proclaimation of being the mayor of an imaginary town doesn't exactly make him the hippest cat in Michigan.

I'm hip, dammit!

<:mad:>

psychopath
03-29-2007, 02:26 PM
I generally perfer the word "geek" if I'm going to be called anything like that. That's assuming were going by this differentiation (http://clipmarks.com/clipmark/F951364A-B0FE-4B53-81A5-F20A7BBEF73C/), or perhaps these definitions (http://ask.yahoo.com/20060818.html).

SlyMaelstrom
03-29-2007, 02:32 PM
Welcome to the biggest trap in nerd-dom psychopath... everyone who's anyone knows that self-classification of nerdiness automatically makes you the biggest nerd in the land.

twomers
03-29-2007, 02:35 PM
Why? Cause they're idiots. Nerds will take over the world. Yipee!

KONI
03-29-2007, 02:46 PM
Well it seems that contrary to all the other scientific or literature domains, we computer scientists have one "advantage" which at the same time provides us with those classifying names:

We like what we do and have maybe more than anyone else the possibility to exercise ourselves.

Take a medicine student as example. Even if he was the biggest freak in the world, he couldn't possibly practice medicine at home, could he? Well, he could probably read books or examine people but there's a limit to what he can do. A law student, apart from reading case records or researching laws, has no practical usage of his job at home. An artist needs inspiration, it takes a lot of time to produce a true piece of art. The only similar domain I could think of would be a sports major, who exercises himself at home. But honestly, if he's not a total freak (see, as soon as someone wants to push into the limits of what he does, we call him a freak) who runs a marathon everyday of his life, he's probably exhausted after 2 hours and can't continue.

Not so for us computer scientists: we are able to apply and experience our domain as long and as often as possible, without any limitations. Additionally, the domain of "computer science" is HUGE, people who aren't involved can't even grasp what possibilities we have. We could probably read and research all day long for the rest of our lives and never know everything that has to do with computers.

As for me being called a nerd...it happens, not very often, since I practice some sport and keep myself fit. But when it happens, I take it as a compliment... YES! A geek/nerd/freak, a supranatural (supra-, not supernatural...supra is like way above super ... (HAIL TO THE TENACIOUS D) godlike being, who ascended into the transcendental domain of nerdiness, is capable of convincing the entire world, only by BEING HIMSELF, that he likes what he does and shows real interest in his work. Isn't that something we should be proud of?

twomers
03-29-2007, 02:55 PM
>> we computer scientists [...] Not so for us computer scientists
Hey. I'm an engineer (electrical) ... or will be when I graduate.

>> We like what we do and have maybe more than anyone else the possibility to exercise ourselves.
I pretty much love my course ...

As for the last paragraph ...

Oldman47
03-29-2007, 04:47 PM
I code to keep my mind active and to feel as if I'm accomplishing something other than sitting in my recliner waiting for another day to go by. At 60, I'm a little too old to be a nerd.

prog-bman
03-29-2007, 05:56 PM
I am way to sexy to be a nerd.

Dave_Sinkula
03-29-2007, 05:59 PM
My question is this:

Why or what made programmers ( and people who are learning it ) be seen by others as a nerdish person?

What do you make of the stereo type names programmers get?My take: it has to do with being an introvert or an extrovert (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Introvert#Definitions).
Extraverts tend to enjoy human interactions and to be enthusiastic, talkative, assertive, and gregarious. They take pleasure in activities that involve large social gatherings, such as parties, community activities, public demonstrations, and business or political groups. An extraverted person is likely to enjoy time spent with people and find less reward in time spent alone.Not really a description of someone who spends a lot of time in front of a computer.
Introverts tend to be quiet, low-key, deliberate, and relatively non-engaged in social situations. They take pleasure in solitary activities such as reading, writing, watching movies, inventing, and designing. An introverted person is likely to enjoy time spent alone and find less reward in time spent with large groups of people (although they may enjoy one-to-one or one-to-few interactions with close friends).That seems to describe a programmer a little more closely.

Since the likelihood of a programmer being an introvert is probably above average, it generally lends itself that a programmer tends to be "more reserved, less outgoing, and less sociable." Thus a nerd/geek label probably fits well for the true introvert; and it would be a humorous badge to a programmer who is a little more extroverted.

Generalization, of course.

Queatrix
03-29-2007, 06:19 PM
I'm no nerd. :D

KONI
03-30-2007, 03:26 AM
This picture explains more than I ever could:

http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/the_difference.png

Salem
03-30-2007, 05:19 AM
> At university I study CS, and all my so-called-mates I hang out with outside uni reckon Im somwhat of a geek and nerd
Yeah, but who do they come running to when they need some tech stuff fixing?
Payback time hopefully, with lots of grovelling, beer, pizza and money :D

I think it's written somewhere that "blessed are the geek, for they shall inherit the earth".

nvoigt
03-30-2007, 05:57 AM
Why or what made programmers ( and people who are learning it ) be seen by others as a nerdish person?

I can only answer this for myself:

Because I am a nerdish person. And I don't feel bad about it.

twomers
03-30-2007, 10:01 AM
I code to keep my mind active and to feel as if I'm accomplishing something other than sitting in my recliner waiting for another day to go by. At 60, I'm a little too old to be a nerd.

You closet nerd!

cboard_member
03-30-2007, 10:46 AM
I've been called every name around the Sun and not all of them are related to my computerisms (but that's a story for another day / a shrink). I just ignore it.

The girls I know are missing out: http://www.gleemagazine.com/glee/article.cfm/cmi_1941672/cid_37.

Just to clarify, I don't read "glee magazine" nor do I usually google for geek-love.

Sentral
03-30-2007, 01:26 PM
People call me "emo" or "goth" because I don't talk to anyone, or have many friends. I've NEVER been called a nerd, only the other names I mentioned, which is kind of disappointing. Maybe it's my thick black glasses that makes me "emo" or my love of goth girls. However, what really ........es me off, is the elitist preppy ..........s who think they are better then everyone! I hope they get fat, get AIDS, and die in the middle of the street. Don't even get me started on minorites! [/rant]

*sigh* Tough week in the WONDERFUL American public school system! :D

SlyMaelstrom
03-30-2007, 01:40 PM
However, what really ........es me off, is the elitist preppy ..........s who think they are better then everyone!This... is why people call you emo.

Sentral
03-30-2007, 02:00 PM
This... is why people call you emo.

That doesn't make sense. Please explain...

kryptkat
03-30-2007, 03:04 PM
I think it's written somewhere that "blessed are the geek, for they shall inherit the earth".

The meek shall inherit the earth.

it is a quote from the bible.

The Meek Shall Inherit the Earth

Psalms 25:8 Good and upright is the LORD: therefore will he teach sinners in the way.
9 The meek will he guide in judgment: and the meek will he teach his way.
Psalms 25:12 What man is he that feareth the LORD? him shall he teach in the way that he shall choose.
13 His soul shall dwell at ease; and his seed shall inherit the earth.

Psalms 37:7 Rest in the LORD, and wait patiently for him: fret not thyself because of him who prospereth in his way, because of the man who bringeth wicked devices to pass.
8 Cease from anger, and forsake wrath: fret not thyself in any wise to do evil.
9 For evildoers shall be cut off: but those that wait upon the LORD, they shall inherit the earth.
10 For yet a little while, and the wicked shall not be: yea, thou shalt diligently consider his place, and it shall not be.
11 But the meek shall inherit the earth; and shall delight themselves in the abundance of peace.

Psalms 37:18 The LORD knoweth the days of the upright: and their inheritance shall be for ever.
Psalms 37:22 For such as be blessed of him shall inherit the earth; and they that be cursed of him shall be cut off.

Matthew 5:5 Blessed are the meek: for they shall inherit the earth.

"i wonder if that happens every time"

whiteflags
03-30-2007, 03:07 PM
it is a quote from the bible.
Thank you krypkat, that was the joke. :rolleyes:

Govtcheez
03-30-2007, 03:26 PM
That doesn't make sense. Please explain...
School is HARD!

kryptkat
03-30-2007, 03:48 PM
Let me enlighten you to the reply joke. A thread discussing nerdy stereo types gets a nerdish reply. Hence the reply joke. Not as funny as “I wonder if that happens every time.” but when that is added to the bottom of the bible quote you have to think “do the meek only get the earth once” or “how many times will the meek inherit the earth”

Govtcheez
03-30-2007, 04:11 PM
Except that jokes are funny

kryptkat
03-30-2007, 05:29 PM
Psalms 37:22 For such as be blessed of him shall inherit the earth; and they that be cursed of him shall be cut off.

implying that his little cursed thing would be cut off..... that was seriously funny.

too subtle or dry?

edit
the "him" in the quote refering to all <male with cursed thing> meek kind.

VirtualAce
03-31-2007, 03:06 AM
Chics dig geeks and nerds b/c they have all the latest and greatest technology in their house. :)

I'm a geek when it comes to computers and technology in general, and a gearhead when it comes to cars. So what's that make me?

twomers
03-31-2007, 04:16 AM
I thought they liked us for who we were :(

Cool geek?

cboard_member
03-31-2007, 04:47 AM
Grease-geek.