PDA

View Full Version : It's amazing...

kermi3
01-15-2002, 05:12 PM
You know it's really amazing how the board and the people on it change over time. Only two months ago the GD was the most active board and it was filled with goofy posts or petty arguments. Now the C++ is probably the most active and the GD has pretty much only serious posts. So the question is do the people on the boards change? or the mood of the people? Why is it that the boards change so drastically in only a month or so?

Ideas?

Brian
01-15-2002, 05:15 PM
Because it's so blatantly obvious the egg came first

Fordy
01-15-2002, 05:39 PM
Kermi...I know what you mean.

The board is totally different than what is was 2 months ago, but then that was totally different from what it was like 2 months earlier (when the VBulletin board was still new'ish)

I guess it has to do with people..... a small group can have a big impact...... but people who have that impact dont always stick around........ (this applies to those who had good and bad influence on the board)

Hey...one way to look at it....if it was always the same - wouldnt it get boring ? :)

-KEN-
01-15-2002, 05:47 PM
hmm...good point...

I still think we were getting a little hint of spam a little while ago...like a few days...

I still wish I knew what went on in the weeks (or was it a month..) that I took that little sabatical from here to help out flashdaddee...now I can safely manage both boards...:)

boingy_man
01-15-2002, 06:10 PM
if ya really want to see the old posts you could always look @ the old posts

-KEN-
01-15-2002, 06:38 PM
well duh...but I forget when I did that, and further more I don't feel like spending a few hours reading random pieces of trash...:)

mithrandir
01-15-2002, 07:05 PM
Well perhaps since the world has gone through so much recently, people are realising how pointless some things are (like post counts).

Just a thought...

kermi3
01-15-2002, 09:59 PM
yeah but even last month it was a very diffrent. I guess maybe it was the people, but most the people haven't changed too much. Still mainly 18-40 year old men....exceptions of course but I think that's our main group.

zahid
01-15-2002, 10:40 PM
I guess it's the membership age of the people in the board.. is the main factor.

The graph will be more clear in future.. necessary things will come up on the board.

And there is a chance of decreasing the increase-rate of posting.

nvoigt
01-16-2002, 12:57 AM
I take a wild guess and say it's what is happening in peoples lives. If a lot of stuff is happening, post on GD go up, but when the people have time to code, post on CPP go up. Also, most questions are probably asked by students. Maybe they come back from christmas only to find their assignment is still sitting on their desk where they left it...

novacain
01-16-2002, 01:17 AM
Hey, we were told off for posting threads here that did not have anything to do with programming.

And I think the mods got sick of RB and I having lively discussions (arguing).

adrianxw
01-16-2002, 02:45 AM
Post count kudos seems to have worn off, but has to a certain extent been replaced with "Hey look at my new avatar" type spam.

We have also had a rash recently, of ancient threads, (like several months old), being dragged up.

kermi3
01-16-2002, 11:05 AM
Hey, we were told off for posting threads here that did not have anything to do with programming.

And I think the mods got sick of RB and I having lively discussions (arguing).

I think you may have misunderstood the feelings of the moderators novacain. The mods grew very tired of the one line posts that basically said nothing and of the name calling, personal insults, and slander.

However, I know that many of the mods, myself included, enjoy debates and "discussions," even if they are not about programming. That's what the General Discussions board is for. Sure computer related topics are the most relevent but others are certainly welcome....just not the posts that are made simply to raise ones post count and those posts tha basically say nothing.

no-one
01-16-2002, 11:48 AM
i would say the lack of "intellectual" converation on the GD board can be attributed to

A. My sudden dissapearance, the people lost hope when i left.(wether they knew it or not!)
B. Govt's lack of strange but interestingly wierd posts.
C. Ken is no longer pre pubescent...
D. No Body wants to have a pointlessly off topic argument to spoil a perfectly legitmate thread...

Govtcheez
01-16-2002, 11:50 AM
> B. Govt's lack of strange but interestingly wierd posts.

I'd like to think that the torch of strange but interestingly weird posts has been passed to doubleanti :)

Besides, what sorts of things did I post that were interestingly weird?

Fordy
01-16-2002, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by no-one
i would say the lack of "intellectual" converation on the GD board can be attributed to

A. My sudden dissapearance, the people lost hope when i left.(wether they knew it or not!)
B. Govt's lack of strange but interestingly wierd posts.
C. Ken is no longer pre pubescent...
D. No Body wants to have a pointlessly off topic argument to spoil a perfectly legitmate thread...

A - Yup...no more POSTS IN TOTAL CAPITALS...THIS WAS SORELY MISSED

C - No...now he is just plain annoying :D ...j/k

-KEN-
01-16-2002, 04:56 PM
...I was never pre-pubescent when I was on the board...bite me...:p

and yes, I am quite annoying aren't I? ;)

no-one
01-17-2002, 11:40 PM
>Yup...no more POSTS IN TOTAL CAPITALS...THIS WAS SORELY MISSED <

i could arrange some if you'd like?

mithrandir
01-18-2002, 02:44 AM
People are still talking crap here though, and that probably won't change. I've contributed to some of it myself, but from now on I won't.