PDA

View Full Version : Using a Web Browser within your Linux Application

CaptainRon
12-07-2006, 05:35 AM
Hi all!

I wanted to know whether we can embed a web browser into our Linux application, the way we can do it in Windows programming using ActiveX objects?

Is there a way to implement Mozilla FireFox inside your application? Is there a custom Qt widget that achieves the same?

Perspective
12-07-2006, 01:04 PM
It can be done on linux with SWT, but that's a Java library. If your really eager you can look at the C source for the SWT Browser widget to see how it's done (it's all JNI stuff).

CornedBee
12-07-2006, 04:58 PM
It's possible to do it, but it's particular to each browser and toolkit. I don't think Qt itself offers a browser widget, but you can use a Konqueror KPart to easily embed Konqueror.
GTK+ offers a browser widget, I think, which embeds something Gecko-based.

Jaqui
12-13-2006, 11:16 AM
or use glade and make your own widget for gtk to embed whichever browser you want to use.
the gre is frequently used as an embedded browser engine.

even KDE stopped working on thier own rendering engine / library and just use the mozilla engine.
[ KHTML is a dead library, the kparts tools do use the gecko rendering engine. ]

nitinmhetre
12-18-2006, 03:36 AM
hi,
I have done this stuff aome months back ,but i dont remember things properly.
I had used gtkembedmoz or gtkmozembed which is a library provided by gtk.
Using this library ucan create a browser instace which can be embeded in any window u want.
Search for this on google.

CornedBee
12-18-2006, 04:48 AM
even KDE stopped working on thier own rendering engine / library and just use the mozilla engine.
[ KHTML is a dead library, the kparts tools do use the gecko rendering engine. ]
Uh, what? Konqueror happily continues to use KHTML, as do all other Html-aware KDE apps. There is an ongoing effort to port the Gecko widgets to use Qt instead of GTK, but this has nothing at all to do with KHTML.
KHTML is under active development and is planned to have several new features in KDE4.

Jaqui
12-20-2006, 11:41 PM
really CornedBee?
two months ago when I was looking for the khtml sources I could only find not being developed anymore tarballs of them, from KDE.org links.

I could not find any khtml sources newer than 1 year.

CornedBee
12-21-2006, 08:22 AM
http://websvn.kde.org/trunk/KDE/kdelibs/khtml/

There you go. Last checking 29 hours ago. I'd say that qualifies as active development. I don't know (and don't care) about tarballs.