PDA

View Full Version : Poll - Terrorism & Torture

Kybo_Ren
12-01-2006, 12:23 AM
Hey guys, I have a class assignment for AP Government & Politics -- I have to poll at least 75 people on a subject of my choosing (torture of terrorists).

I thought it'd be a great way to get people of all demographics to respond with little effort

Please note: this poll is to be as anonymous as possible. Please don't post your completed poll in this thread -- PM them to me.

Survey:

1 - What is your ethnicity?
a) Asian / Pacific Islander
b) Caucasian / White (including Middle-Eastern)
c) Hispanic / Latino
d) African / Black
e) Other

2 - How old are you?
a) Under 15
b) 15 - 21
c) 22 - 35
d) 36 - 55
e) 56+

3 - To what religion do you belong?
a) Islam
b) Christianity (any, i.e. Catholic, Anglican, Presbyterian, etc.)
c) Judaism
d) Atheism
e) Other (Agnostic, self-practicing, any unlisted religion)

4 - Where is your primary place of residence located?
a) US West
b) US Midwest
c) US Northeast
d) US South
e) Other (including regions outside the US)

5 - Annual household income
a) Under $25,000
b) $25,000 - $70,000
c) $70,000 - $125,000
d) $125,000 - $200,000
e) $200,000+

6 - Convicted terrorists should be tortured as punishment.
a) Strongly agree
b) Agree
c) Neutral
d) Disagree
e) Strongly disagree

7 - It is acceptable to torture terrorist suspects for potential information.
a) Strongly agree
b) Agree
c) Neutral
d) Disagree
e) Strongly disagree

8 - It is acceptable to send terrorist suspects to foreign countries known for their abuse of detainees for "interrogation".
a) Strongly agree
b) Agree
c) Neutral
d) Disagree
e) Strongly disagree

9 - It is acceptable to detain terrorist suspects in Guantanamo Bay without regard to Geneva Convention rules or Constitutional rights of the accused.
a) Strongly agree
b) Agree
c) Neutral
d) Disagree
e) Strongly disagree

10 - The Bush administration has done a good job handling terrorist suspects, convicted terrorists, and terrorism in general.
a) Strongly agree
b) Agree
c) Neutral
d) Disagree
e) Strongly disagree

11 - Capital punishment is acceptable.
a) Strongly agree
b) Agree
c) Neutral
d) Disagree
e) Strongly disagree

12 - "An eye for an eye" is an acceptable penal doctrine.
a) Strongly agree
b) Agree
c) Neutral
d) Disagree
e) Strongly disagree

13 - The CIA's secret prisons (no public oversight, no reporting to Amnesty International) are acceptable.
a) Strongly agree
b) Agree
c) Neutral
d) Disagree
e) Strongly disagree

Please send your responses in this format:

1 - a
2 - b
3 - c
etc...

Thank you :)

[ discuss ]

SlyMaelstrom
12-01-2006, 12:39 AM
You need an introduction to your poll explaining your definition of torture since it clearly holds a strong point in many of your questions. Torture can by anywhere between cutting a guy's finger off to touching a guy's Qur'an with your bare hands. Lack of explanation is what causes statistical manipulation and just plain old untruthfulness. Also, it's fair to mention that a few of your questions (at least question #9) are somewhat slanted and apparently not researched. There is no right way to answer a question that implies something that isn't true in the first place. While some of those imprisoned in Guantanamo Bay are entitled POW status and are subject to the rights of the Geneva Convention, many of the inhabitants -- specifically those admittedly acting for al-Qaeda, though one could still argue members of the Taliban should also not get POW status -- are known to simply not fit under the guidelines. If you plan on being subjective in your polling, it necessary to give explicit accounts in order to get accurate information. Either that or you can leave open-ended answers and sift through them all one by one.

anonytmouse
12-01-2006, 12:51 AM
For question number 13, I think you mean the ICRC (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Committee_of_the_Red_Cross) rather than Amnesty.

maxorator
12-01-2006, 01:22 AM
I understood like every 3rd word in the 9th question...

And in Estonia, we are not frightened with those terrorist stories... have you seen Fahrenheit 9/11?

vart
12-01-2006, 01:50 AM
I understood like every 3rd word
Don't worry, it's just another game they play in the USA close to the elections...

Have you seen how they divide a world?
a) US West
b) US Midwest
c) US Northeast
d) US South
e) US Center (including regions outside the US)

SlyMaelstrom
12-01-2006, 01:58 AM
E) says "Other", not "US Center" and I imagine the logic for most of the choices to be US based because the entire poll is subjected around US policies. Also, there isn't a major US election for two years, so I didn't quite get that point. Did you actually think a high school student is going around the internet recruiting voters from a community that consists of a fair number of non-US citizens?

EDIT: Ick my internet connection is being screwy.

vart
12-01-2006, 02:00 AM
yeah, I see...

Govtcheez
12-01-2006, 05:36 AM
edit: Oh, anonymous. Heh.

11 and 12 don't really fit in with the other questions here.

Mario F.
12-01-2006, 06:30 AM
Well I'm pro-terrorist. I think terrorism is fine as long we all get along. I say no to torture unless the other person likes it. It is ok to move terrorists to other countries if they get to be served drinks and food like anyone else. Secret prisons are ok too as long we have directions. And I live in Portugal, US.

Govtcheez
12-01-2006, 06:35 AM
You're going to want to check US-Far East.

Mario F.
12-01-2006, 07:08 AM
Yup. And I request asylum. There's a whole bunch of muslims here that don't like the fact I'm atheist... oh... wait... Republicans are in power. They won't like me either. :(

Govtcheez
12-01-2006, 07:28 AM
You can come hide out at my place. Michigan's a blue state :)

Plus, I'm an atheist and my girlfriend's a deist, so you won't have to worry about us disturbing you Sunday mornings.

Sang-drax
12-01-2006, 11:08 AM
6 - Convicted terrorists should be tortured as punishment.
WTF?? No!
I really hope that almost everyone selects "e" on this one. Tortured as punishment?

7 - It is acceptable to torture terrorist suspects for potential information.
8 - It is acceptable to send terrorist suspects to foreign countries known for their abuse of detainees for "interrogation".
9 - It is acceptable to detain terrorist suspects in Guantanamo Bay without regard to Geneva Convention rules or Constitutional rights of the accused.
Same goes for these questions.

Govtcheez
12-01-2006, 12:25 PM
It's a silly poll, but there are people who will answer something besides E to those. That's kind of the point.

maxorator
12-01-2006, 01:14 PM
NOONE IN THE WORLD IS WORTH TORTURING

Got that you little bugger?

Mario F.
12-01-2006, 02:04 PM
Except if you happen to like it.

manutd
12-01-2006, 04:40 PM
Masachist. ;)

h_howee
12-01-2006, 04:48 PM
its masochist :)

and emos

manutd
12-01-2006, 04:50 PM
I thought I spelled that wrong. It's not a word I use very often ;)

Mario F.
12-01-2006, 05:08 PM
Make you want to be a terrorist, eh? ;)

SlyMaelstrom
12-01-2006, 05:12 PM
Mario is into S&M.

Mario F.
12-01-2006, 05:29 PM
Gawd! No way. That's too depressing.

I think I took the analogy too far. Very dangerous things, analogies :p

Govtcheez
12-01-2006, 05:30 PM
Speaking of torture, anyone seen the new Bond movie? That was sweet.

Kybo_Ren
12-01-2006, 05:39 PM
You guys are taking this way too seriously. The questions are not my opinions! They are simply there to be answered.

The reason there are so many options for the US and 1 for Other is for demographics -- I want to analyze responses based upon where the US overall stands, where individual parts stand, and where the rest of the world stands (of course the sample size is far too small to be truly accurate, but w/e).

Also, my definition of torture is the same as the first definition on dictionary.com --
the act of inflicting excruciating pain, as punishment or revenge, as a means of getting a confession or information, or for sheer cruelty.

And the US didn't comply with Geneva convention rules prior to the USSC's ruling on Jun 29th in Hamdan v. Rumsfeld. Don't interpret the questions as opinions or lack of research -- simply answer them! :)

Thank you all :)

Sentral
12-01-2006, 05:39 PM
This thread sucks.....

Govtcheez
12-01-2006, 05:44 PM
> The questions are not my opinions!

Seriously, your questions suck. The capital punishment and eye for an eye thing make no sense at all.

edit: Unless you're trying to draw a retarded correlation between people who are for torture and people who are for the death penalty. If you are doing that, you're really missing the point of the torture debate.

Mario F.
12-01-2006, 06:06 PM
> You guys are taking this way too seriously.

You are clearly way out of the loop.

> I want to analyze responses based upon where the US overall stands

Just next to Canada.

> and where the rest of the world stands

Inside US or knocking at its door.

> And the US didn't comply with Geneva convention rules

It's no good to post a survey and then plant a suggestion.

I'm not going to email you, of course. That would be silly. But if you really want to know the opinion of an european, then it should be something like america is evil, and is a great investor. All americans are great fellas, we love their money, and we want them dead. We like their planes and we hope a lot of them die fighting for democracy and freedom while we watch soaps and have high level peace meetings with those killing americans.

SlyMaelstrom
12-01-2006, 06:07 PM
The questions are not my opinions!Apparently they are because they are, in many cases, completely subjective. Oh, and you still haven't given your definition of torture which is key to the survey. Now we got people going ape.......... in this thread because they think we're sitting prisoners in cut out basket chairs and swinging large lead balls at the end of chains into their nuts for torture. Down with torture! Down with bad US policies!

...oh, unless of course they like it.

Mario F.
12-01-2006, 06:09 PM
> ...oh, unless of course they like it.

*nods solemnly*

Kybo_Ren
12-01-2006, 06:12 PM
I am not debating anything.

I think you misunderstand: I am not the one who made all the questions.

Also, the questions will most likely have a bias, simply so that you can measure how much you agree with it. Trust me, you have no idea what my personal bias is. I'm simply asking you to fill out the survey. If you don't want to -- fine.

I wasn't planting a suggestion -- I was stating a fact as a point to the accusation that I didn't do research (which is beside the point anyway).

EDIT:
Please read my previous post, SlyMaelstrom. I think you'll find that I did, in fact, give my definition of torture.
Don't interpret the questions or say I'm trying to draw correlations from anything. I am simply asking different questions (the first five are obviously for demographics -- those are the only ones I will use to make any correlations with any individual questions).

Mario F.
12-01-2006, 06:20 PM
> I wasn't planting a suggestion -- I was stating a fact as a point to the accusation

There you are doing it again. This time you even mentioned a source. Clearly it can affect how one may answer some of the final questions. (The only ones relevant to the purpose of the survey). Your survey is doomed.

Try again later

SlyMaelstrom
12-01-2006, 06:27 PM
I'm going to explain something fundamental about surveying and slanting statistics. You seem intelligent enough that you'd be able to understand it, so I'll give you an idea of why I feel slightly offended about that poll as it stands.

When a poll asks a question that is biased and limits the answers to said question... it does two things. One, it gives any less informed poll taker a false idea of reality. For instance, one would infer by question #9 that the US has shown blatant disregard for the Geneva Convention at Guantanamo Bay which is wrong. This leads those less informed to give a possibly incorrect answer relative to how they would feel about the actual situation. Two, since those more informed are limited to only incorrect answers (if the question itself is wrong, then all answers would subsequently be wrong in terms of the poll takers opinion) then they'll likely simply ignore doing the poll all together (as you suggest to me) there by eliminating an entire segment of the population. This would obviously result in unbalanced data.

So, here is what I would do if I were you. If you care about the grade, a lot... then you might as well just completely BS the data yourself. This is a programming forum... I'm sure you can write a simple program that randomly does the poll one hundred times. It would likely yield data just as good (assuming you seed rand(), of course) as polling real people would (which would be inaccurate, anyway). If you care more about giving an honest and truthful poll, then go to whoever wrote these questions, tell them everything I just wrote, and then proceed to torture that person. ... but only if s/he likes it.

Mario F.
12-01-2006, 06:40 PM
There a few others things fundamentally wrong wit the survey.

For one, it is aggressive towards the person answering it. 3 or 4 questions concerning if we agree or not with terrorism put too much weight on what is not the real objective of the poll. For a pacifist, for instance, it will make him fell guilty about the remaining questions.

Some questions seem to scream one of the answers. Almost forcing a person to drawn the X next to it. When terms like "an eye for an eye" are used in the question itself, it's hard for anyone not to say it is wrong. But where the pacifist would have trouble before, now the war supporter will be divided, because this question seems to want to destroy his convictions on the other ones.

Your survey is aggressive and plants conflict on the minds of those answering it. They will feel unsatisfied because no matter what they answer, they will think their answers didn't reflect their opinions.

It's a bad survey, mate.

VirtualAce
12-01-2006, 07:22 PM
Observations

1. Me thinks Mario F. needs to stick to programming and leave politics to others.
2. This poll is so slanted and biased, calling it a 'poll' is ludicrous.
3. This thread topic is so lame and so over-discussed I cannot believe anyone answered it.
4. The poll creator needs to google for Loaded Questions

Stupid thread and I doubt anyone cares how we feel about the topic in here. What a waste of GD space.

Flame me later. Thx and have a nice day.

Mario F.
12-01-2006, 07:34 PM
Later. Take care.

Kybo_Ren
12-01-2006, 08:10 PM
Observations

1. Me thinks Mario F. needs to stick to programming and leave politics to others.
2. This poll is so slanted and biased, calling it a 'poll' is ludicrous.
3. This thread topic is so lame and so over-discussed I cannot believe anyone answered it.
4. The poll creator needs to google for Loaded Questions

Stupid thread and I doubt anyone cares how we feel about the topic in here. What a waste of GD space.

Flame me later. Thx and have a nice day.
Thank you.
2. Yep, it actually is biased. Not actually in the way I am biased, but they are bad questions.
3. Quite honestly, me too. You wouldn't believe how surprised I was there were 2 pages of responses when I checked it.
4. I didn't create most of the poll's questions and in fact the poll doesn't even represent what I truly wanted to poll about. We had a required number of questions per group and the groups were allowed to choose between a few topics which weren't very interesting. Most of the questions are loaded... as I said, if you don't really care, just answer the questions. If you care, then just don't answer the survey.

I realize I could quite easily write a program to generate fake poll responses, but that would be cheating and I try to avoid that ;)

vart
12-02-2006, 01:24 AM
write a program
at least it will truly represent the opinion of your computer on the matter

g4j31a5
12-03-2006, 10:45 PM
I say no to torture unless the other person likes it.

Like in.... S&M? :D

maxorator
12-04-2006, 02:08 PM
Yeah, these questions suck. They're like "Do you think killing should be legal?" or something.