PDA

View Full Version : Your first thread

swgh
11-30-2006, 06:01 AM
This thread would mainly apply to people who have over 50 odd posts, but it doesnt matter. Can you remember what your first post was when you joined Cboard? If you can, what was it? Looking at how much you have learned and gained in experience since that day, would you say you are moving fast in learing C / C++?
Or would you say ( like me ) to take it a bit at a time and learn all you can about a subject before moving on.

My first post I think was finding out what why end1 wasnt correct. DOH! No, its endl...
But the lowercase l does look like a number one...

Any thougts?

Mario F.
11-30-2006, 06:10 AM
My first post was about how to use header files and cpp files. I knew close to nothing about C++ 6 months ago. I still don't ;) I'm just a little better off.

The forums helped tremendously, and still are, in the learning process. Some things cannot be answered by books or they can but we are having an hard time interpreting their meaning.

swgh
11-30-2006, 06:17 AM
I agree mario, some times the authors of programing books to over-do some explanations. Have you read of any the deitel series books? Geez, five pages on an explanation of the hello world program in C++.

SlyMaelstrom
11-30-2006, 06:24 AM
I think I made this post several months back. ;)

Anyway, if I recall my first post was asking what
while(1) { }did.

swgh
11-30-2006, 06:34 AM
Oh sorry sly, I did not mean to repeat a thread, I must of missed it. Lol good first post. i used to confuse that with

while ( true ) {}

Then I read in a good book that they did the same thing. C programmers a while back
before the boolean variable came along used to distinguish true and false with 1 and 0

Mario F.
11-30-2006, 06:36 AM
> Have you read of any the deitel series books? Geez, five pages on an explanation of the hello world program in C++

I haven't. I was very careful on my choice of books. I had too. It was on a budget (which has expired already). So I went to the big ones, Bjarne's, Josutti's, C++ Primer, Gang of Four, Sutter, Meyers and Alexandrescu. Some of the books I haven't touched yet.

swgh
11-30-2006, 06:58 AM
That makes sense. Having a good range gives you more than on proffesionals view and ideas on how to do the more complex things. ie: pointers and OOP. Yesterday I threw one of by books out, it was:

C++ A beginners guide by herb schilt. I was sick of his poor practices, one example was
placing all data members of a class public. I never do this, always taught to make them private (or protected if I am using inherietence). I took prelude's adivce on his books and swore to never buy one of his books agian, as prelude said,

"Sombody who is still learning the language should not be teaching it"

Happy_Reaper
11-30-2006, 07:23 AM
My first post was an incorrect c correction to someone that was, within minutes corrected by one of the senior members...

I sort of started off on the wrong foot.

cboard_member
11-30-2006, 08:00 AM
http://cboard.cprogramming.com/showthread.php?t=67535

^ Mine.
I spelt qualms wrong. Dude.

indigo0086
11-30-2006, 08:32 AM
My first post was about how to use header files and cpp files. I knew close to nothing about C++ 6 months ago. I still don't ;) I'm just a little better off.

The forums helped tremendously, and still are, in the learning process. Some things cannot be answered by books or they can but we are having an hard time interpreting their meaning.

You learned more in 6 months than I did in 5 years.

SMurf
11-30-2006, 11:55 AM
I certainly can't remember as far back as then, but the board has it as:- http://cboard.cprogramming.com/showthread.php?t=497

Oh, what a scallywag rookie I was... :o

What is funny is that I didn't learn most of what I know about pointers and complex structures from a book (although K&R started me off with a tree), it was from typing things in, having them compile correctly and then running them to get "abnormal termination" flash up. Then I have a shouting match with myself ("BUT IT COMPILES!!!") and mash the keyboard with my fists.

A whole year or so of that and you too can be a professional. :cool:

psychopath
11-30-2006, 12:33 PM
My first thread: http://cboard.cprogramming.com/showthread.php?t=50566

Typical case of a newb looking for source code, and a non-descriptive title. Painful to read, actually.

As for how much I've learned, I do remember when I first started programming with OpenGL, loading a terrain every frame, and then trying to figure out why it was rendering so slow. :rolleyes:

jlou
11-30-2006, 01:08 PM
My first thread was helping someone... pretty boring. I have only asked one programming question my entire time here, and that was met with an astounding 100 views and 0 replies.

Good times.

twomers
11-30-2006, 01:20 PM
To get a good overview of my initiation here you actually have to look at a couple of posts: One (http://cboard.cprogramming.com/showpost.php?p=518943&postcount=1)and two (http://cboard.cprogramming.com/showpost.php?p=519039&postcount=11). They were in two separate threads that I started. Nice eh? I was making a "net send" spamming program for ... communication purposes with my friends and enemies alike in college. Used some simple file IO to make a bat file and then ran it. It was faster, I think, running system() net send commands in a loop.

>> I still don't
Lies. All lies.

psychopath
11-30-2006, 01:35 PM
Why does everyone on this board seem to lose they're enthusiasm and energy over time? I mean, look at all those exclaimation marks in twomers first posts.

Clearly, we're all here to fuel some engine-like device that the webmaster is using to power some secret lab, in which he devises evil, evil plans. And bakes cookies.

twomers
11-30-2006, 01:44 PM
Thanks for your consideration psychopath!!!!!! I guess it started when I got addicted to coffee. My hands used to shake a lot cause I wasn't used to the caffeine in my system. Then as I matured (when caffeine took over as the main carrier of oxygen through my body), they didn't shake as much, so I don't get so much iterations of !, ? etc. I also noticed that you don't really need more than one exclamation to enhance a point.

Mario F.
11-30-2006, 01:57 PM
> I have only asked one programming question my entire time here, and that was met with an astounding 100 views and 0 replies.

Well... you can use the find algorithm, instead of the member function. Or you can in fact cast away constness. It's pretty much safe since find() will not change your set

:D

twomers
11-30-2006, 01:59 PM
Still no replies though :P

Mario F.
11-30-2006, 02:02 PM
I wanted too, hehe.
But I hate those posts that dig old threads. It wouldn't be right :)

twomers
11-30-2006, 02:22 PM
What's 1 and 4 (?) years between us here online? I'm sure nobody would mind! Nostalgia and whatnot.

jlou
11-30-2006, 02:42 PM
> I have only asked one programming question my entire time here, and that was met with an astounding 100 views and 0 replies.

Well... you can use the find algorithm, instead of the member function. Or you can in fact cast away constness. It's pretty much safe since find() will not change your set

:DHa! That still counts as a reply. Thanks for looking at it. :)

Of course, I wouldn't actually want to always do a linear search with the find algorithm rather than making the binary search of the set::find() function work. That would be an unnecessary pessimization in my opinion.

I don't know how I solved the problem. I don't think I used the const cast, I might have changed the functions to take non-const references (or maybe pointers). Or maybe I changed the set to hold something other than pointers. That was a long time ago. :p

indigo0086
11-30-2006, 02:49 PM
What's 1 and 4 (?) years between us here online? I'm sure nobody would mind! Nostalgia and whatnot.

I observe dog time.

CornedBee
11-30-2006, 02:53 PM
http://cboard.cprogramming.com/showthread.php?t=38771

Oh, what a glorious thread :rolleyes:
I think I wasted my first post :D

Prelude
11-30-2006, 06:05 PM
>Can you remember what your first post was when you joined Cboard?
Ha! Like that would ever happen. My memory is like a sieve. But it was an early post, maybe in the first 300 after the move to vBulletin.

>Looking at how much you have learned and gained in experience since that day, would you say you are moving fast in learing C / C++?
Most certainly.

manutd
11-30-2006, 06:13 PM
No, I can't remember, and the forum only shows the last 500 posts :rolleyes: It was probably something dumb, though :)

Prelude
11-30-2006, 06:54 PM
>and the forum only shows the last 500 posts
That's only if you're lazy and want the forums to actually search for you. You can go to the archives on the lower right hand side of every page and view the oldies from post #1. But I don't recommend it because you'll find terribly embarrassing things that some of us said and want to leave buried. ;)

SlyMaelstrom
11-30-2006, 07:03 PM
But I don't recommend it because you'll find terribly embarrassing things that some of us said and want to leave buried. ;)Prelude's first post:
OMG LOL! I WANT 2 LERN PROGRAMMING BUT MY TEACHER IS STUPID!! HE TOLD US THIS:

WRITE A PROGRAM THAT MAKES A HISTOGRAM (NOT EVEN A REAL WORD! LOL1) OF THE STUDENT GRADE PROGRAM FROM LAB 4. IT SHOULD SHOW BE SHOW HOW MANY STUDENTS GOT EACH GRADE AND LIST WHO GOT THE BEST AND WORST GRADE IN THE CLASS.

I TRIED TO MAKE SOMETHING BUT IT DOESN'T WORK HE DIDN'T TEACH US ANYTHING!! CAN ANY1 HELP! TNX!

Mario F.
11-30-2006, 07:11 PM
Sly's first post:

"Sorry, don't know if this the right forum. But.... is this the place where they give milk coupons?"

Dave_Sinkula
11-30-2006, 07:56 PM
My first thread. Sly's similarly-themed Your first post thread.

indigo0086
11-30-2006, 08:32 PM
I'm searching around the archives for my old high-school buddy's posts.

http://cboard.cprogramming.com/member.php?u=1053

DavidP
12-01-2006, 12:07 PM
I don't have any clue what my first thread was.

My first thread was back when the OLD OLD Cboard was around...back in the ancient days, haha.

Knowing I was a newb at the time...it was probably something about arrays, cout, matrixes, or pointers.

joeprogrammer
12-01-2006, 08:45 PM
Dude, why hasn't anybody mentioned viewing your profile (or someone else's), and then clicking "find all threads started by this user"? Just navigate to the last page, and you can see what their first post was:

Mine (http://cboard.cprogramming.com/showthread.php?t=75705) :o

- Salem's (http://cboard.cprogramming.com/showthread.php?t=10043)
- Prelude's (http://cboard.cprogramming.com/showthread.php?t=1596)
- Sly's (http://cboard.cprogramming.com/showthread.php?t=52714)

SlyMaelstrom
12-01-2006, 09:11 PM
Because as stated, those are incorrect for many members because they've been here since before vBulletin. For instance, Salem's and Prelude's. However, I do believe someone mentioned it in the first post topic I made a while back. :)

As for my first post... humorous terminology aside, at least I analyzed my problem correctly. :) I just needed to get the right syntax. I'm pretty sure I posted that literally the day I started programming.

psychopath
12-01-2006, 09:30 PM
Sly, you didn't use code tags in that post. For shame.

Tonto
12-01-2006, 09:56 PM
http://cboard.cprogramming.com/showthread.php?t=66207
I don't know what in the world I was thinking. But it's crazy.

g4j31a5
12-03-2006, 11:01 PM
My first post was about STL. I didn't know STL back then because my basic was C not C++. Now I use it all the time.

IMHO, this board helped me alot. More than what a book can over. I do agree with the people saying the author of the books seems to get over the reader's head in explaining themself. I got more confused reading them books.

Cheeze-It
12-04-2006, 12:36 PM
I remember starting a thread about Tim McVeigh's execution.
That's the only thing I can remember about pre-this board.
Wait. I also remember asking what typedef meant.

I haven't really applied myself programming-wise since way back
then. Hehe.

Jeez. I've known some of you guys, like, 6 years or so. Man.

maxorator
12-04-2006, 02:13 PM
I don't remember my first post but it certainly was something stupid (and with a lot of exclamation marks).