PDA

View Full Version : Worst.Game.Ever.

Pages : [1] 2

Sentral
11-16-2006, 02:57 PM
Post the worst games you ever played. It can be modern or old skool.

My worst was E.T. for the Atari system, or that Smurfs game. It's not because the graphics were so crappy (I don't care for graphics), but the gameplay (Gameplay is what it's all about :)) was nothing.

Mario F.
11-16-2006, 03:16 PM
I know you mean computer games, but everytime I think the worst game experience ever, I can't stop thinking Monopoly, the board game. I simply hate it. I honestly don't know why. The game just gives me the creeps.

Anyways, computer games... Worms. Rubbish game if you ask me.

Govtcheez
11-16-2006, 03:21 PM
> Anyways, computer games... Worms. Rubbish game if you ask me.

Worms is a ton of fun with a group :)

Voting for Superman 64, myself.

Decrypt
11-16-2006, 03:50 PM
Parrapa the rapper.

I realize that it probably spawned the whole DDR/Guitar Hero rhythm game thing, but all I remember after playing it years and years ago is that is was the most boring game I had ever played. Updates to come now that the horrible nostalgia of bad games is washing over me.
Thanks, Sentral :rolleyes:

Mario F.
11-16-2006, 04:34 PM
Worms is a ton of fun with a group :)

Hmm, fair enough. I've never played it in multiplayer.

I want to change my vote :D
... Diplomacy. (Aka, what was I thinking buying a strategy game back in 2000 based on a a board game heavily dependant on diplomacy?)

manutd
11-16-2006, 04:54 PM
Dead Rising :p

Sentral
11-16-2006, 05:00 PM
Dead Rising :p
I have that! It can get boring, but there's nothing better then hitting a zombie with a shopping cart! :D

manutd
11-16-2006, 05:06 PM
Meh...I got to the end and after I beat the butcher, nd it said my game was over. Buggy, boring...ich.

Govtcheez
11-16-2006, 05:37 PM
I want to change my vote :D
... Diplomacy. (Aka, what was I thinking buying a strategy game back in 2000 based on a a board game heavily dependant on diplomacy?)
I'm with you on that - I got that for Christmas that year. It was AWFUL. I've heard the board game's great, but as a single player game against the computer, it was terrible.

Sentral
11-16-2006, 06:24 PM
I'm with you on that - I got that for Christmas that year. It was AWFUL. I've heard the board game's great, but as a single player game against the computer, it was terrible.
Nice Christmas gift! :rolleyes:

A modern game that sucked is "The Sims" or any of those types. No strategy at all, I'd take "Simcity" over it. Actually, every game where your taking care of something is just dumb.

Mario F.
11-16-2006, 06:35 PM
Well, truth be told, I did have some fun with my wife and Sims. Especially when I used to steal all her neighbor friends :D

psychopath
11-16-2006, 07:15 PM
I love The Sims. Not sure why, but it's actually rather addicting.

Govtcheez
11-16-2006, 07:25 PM
Nice Christmas gift! :rolleyes:
I asked for it based on all the previews that made it sounds super awesome and everything.

Anyone that says The Sims is one of the worst games ever doesn't know much of anything about games or is completely missing the point of them.

Sentral
11-16-2006, 07:44 PM
I asked for it based on all the previews that made it sounds super awesome and everything.

Anyone that says The Sims is one of the worst games ever doesn't know much of anything about games or is completely missing the point of them.
Tell me the point then? What genre does it fit into? You can never succeed in the game, which is what a game is all about. Succeeding. I don't get much satisfaction from it, that's all.

Mario F.
11-16-2006, 07:54 PM
> You can never succeed in the game

Is this one of those RTFM cases?

yes.

Govtcheez
11-16-2006, 07:59 PM
I suppose the genre would be a god game or a sandbox game.

Not everyone needs to be able to kick some boss's ass to enjoy a game. It's fun to see how the characters react to each other and it's fun to collect stuff and decorate your house.

And if you think SimCity is "just dumb", then you know way way less about games than I thought.

Frobozz
11-16-2006, 08:16 PM
Five years from now it will be called the spore genre. :)

Hrm but for worst game? I'd say Master of Orion 3 due to the insane complexity and graphics that suck for the time period (mostly 2D with low-poly combat).

SlyMaelstrom
11-16-2006, 08:16 PM
Can't succeed a Sim City? The entire point of the game is to build a successful metropolis and they pretty much stress this point throughout the entire game. I find the Sim City games to be quite fun.

As for the worst game of all time... I'd have to go with anything from the Army Men series.

Mario F.
11-16-2006, 08:31 PM
The good thing about all this is that we probably don't have many stories to tell. Either someone lent it to us, or chances are we can count the bad games we bought with the fingers of a mangled hand.

... unless you are one of those who like to pre-order :D

g4j31a5
11-16-2006, 09:00 PM
Five years from now it will be called the spore genre. :)

Hrm but for worst game? I'd say Master of Orion 3 due to the insane complexity and graphics that suck for the time period (mostly 2D with low-poly combat).

IMHO Master of Orion 3 is pretty good if you get the hang of it. True, it's so complex it's depressing. But once you can get over the complexity, it's superb. About the graphics, well I'm one of those guys who don't give a damn about graphics. As long as the gameplay is good, I'll be satisfied.

The worst game IMHO is Alley Cat :D. No, seriously the worst game ever would be Battle Cruiser 3000AD. Actually the idea behind the game is pretty good. But apparently the programmer didn't know about costumer service. Why the hell do we have to read a manual with the size of Bjarne Stroustrup's books? Where's the tutorial? Where's the help system?

BTW, anyone fancy remaking Alley Cat into 3D? :D :D :D

Dark_Phoenix
11-16-2006, 09:12 PM
I personally always liked sim ant. I was pretty addicted to it for a long time.

Desolation
11-16-2006, 09:21 PM
I ditto anyone who said MOO3 was the worst game. This thing is so complicated even reading the manual doesn't help. The first MOO was so great. Relatively simple yet hard enough to have some fun. I'd love to be able to install it on my computer and play again =)

pianorain
11-16-2006, 09:41 PM
I ditto anyone who said MOO3 was the worst game.Heh, I thought that at first; I played for six hours and was unable to tell if I was having any effect on the game at all. Once I stopped trying to play it like I played MOO and MOO2, it worked much better.

I vote X3: Reunion. It was a jumble of loosely attached bugs right out of the box, and the early patches switched between making it better and worse. It might have been a good game if it ever had a stable run. At least the idea was interesting.

Zxain
11-17-2006, 02:47 AM
Runescape Is so bad. I sont see why kids play it

VirtualAce
11-17-2006, 03:14 AM
How about...worst games.

Solo Flight
Horrible physics, horrible graphics, horrible interface, and ... horrible idea.
MadDog Mcree
Sucked. Bad design, bad acting, bad graphics, bad UI, bad story, ...just bad.
Mastertronic Baseball
Nuff said. Terrible and barely ran.
Test Drive series
None of these are any good except maybe 1 and even then it's not great.
Streets of SimCity
Nice idea but poor execution.
Partners
Hate to admit I even bought this trash.
Squad Leader
So much potential and so much gone wrong.
Pro Pilot series
Building on the old ATP engine from Bruce Artwick and SubLogic still didn't save this piece o' trash. Probably why Sierra scrapped it.
Apollo 18
Old game that barely ran on my PC and would crash every time QuickTime tried to play a movie. Never did get past mission 1 because it simply wouldn't play the movies. Terrible game, terrible interface, terrible pace, just 100% terrible.
Battlecruiser 3000 AD (pre-patch).
Biggest disappointment in gaming history probably brought on by the daring and risque ads claiming you would rather play than....well you know what. Several patches are the only thing that saved this series...that is still plagued with problems. Great idea but perhaps tries to focus on everything and yet gets nothing right.

I could go on but those are ones that stick out in my mind.

cboard_member
11-17-2006, 05:49 AM
Fade to Black on the PS1. I can't believe it even got through QA (assuming it went to QA).

Horrid graphics, poor, poor plot, even poorer game mechanics.

I was going to say "pretty much everything that came out of 3DO" (Army Men etc) but I do remember enjoying them despite their flaws.

EDIT:

>> Runescape Is so bad. I sont see why kids play it.

I hear that.

maxorator
11-17-2006, 06:23 AM
>>Anyways, computer games... Worms. Rubbish game if you ask me.
It's not fun when you play it alone, but it's fun when it with your friends.

>>Runescape Is so bad. I sont see why kids play it.
This game is the GOD DAMN TIMEWASTER! What can you do in R*******? You can just increase those numbers called "levels" and it's not even fun. R******* is BAD for children, they could instead have fun or learn something.

What's MOO? (wikipedia said MUD Object Oriented but this is not a game, it's a game type)

Sentral
11-17-2006, 06:23 AM
Respect my opinion and stop arguing! :)

Runescape does suck. Another game with this problem is "Halo" series. The story is so bad, I don't see why people can play it. It's so popular for nothing.

cboard_member
11-17-2006, 06:28 AM
I still don't see what the fuss is about with Halo. To me it's "just another FPS"; not really bad, but not good enough to get the attention it did.

UT2004! Now there's an FPS!
Oh and Timesplitters.

SlyMaelstrom
11-17-2006, 06:36 AM
Halo had a very good storyline in comparison to other First Person Shooters out there. Almost all first person shooters negelect a storyline, because they focus more on multiplayer. The exception being FPSs that are bases on other things, for instance Metal of Honor or Goldeneye.

I personally liked Halo a lot. It's especially fun when playing Legendary cooperative. Halo 2 was kinda lame, though.

manutd
11-17-2006, 06:53 AM
Love Halo, but it's all about the multiplayer. The story is too short.

indigo0086
11-17-2006, 07:03 AM
halo is a trilogy though, but after the single player it's all multiplayer. I liked halo 1 and it opened up a lot of the mythos for the world, and halo 2 was great but less because it didn't have the matrix "woah" moment like the first. The multiplayer is where it's at. They should just make a multiplayer halo game without doing the story.

Dante Shamest
11-17-2006, 07:19 AM
I got your worst games right here (http://cboard.cprogramming.com/showthread.php?t=41431).

Just joking guys. Don't kill me. ;)

SlyMaelstrom
11-17-2006, 07:47 AM
Heh... I just like going though that post looking at all the newbies writing things like
Graphics Library: ASCII
Other Libraries: <iostream.h>, <stdio.h>, <string.h>

twomers
11-17-2006, 01:33 PM
Ok. I'm quite inclined to believe it isn't the worst game in existence; I was about 8 when I tried to play it and I could never get anywhere in it. No matter how I tried (which wasn't much). Anyone ever play Megalomania (which in itself is a very good word!!), on the Sega Genesis?

Sly, reckon they're newbies or just people with senses of humour?

h_howee
11-17-2006, 07:08 PM
>>Runescape Is so bad. I sont see why kids play it

because it's the best game they can get?

I haven't really tried many games. The worst i know of is pacman.. too repetitive

actually, outragerp is worse.

JDrake
11-17-2006, 07:43 PM
Who the heck plays a game for the story? Multiplayer is all that matters.

<- Halo/CS fan

MadCow257
11-17-2006, 09:16 PM
I think galaxian is the worst popular game ever
imo space invaders was better
http://www.maniacworld.com/Space-Invaders-stop-motion.htm

SlyMaelstrom
11-17-2006, 09:27 PM
Sly, reckon they're newbies or just people with senses of humour?
I of course considered it... until I saw their source code. ;)

VirtualAce
11-18-2006, 12:11 AM
I would post some games on the board but the size limitations are far too restrictive. Nothing I've written save for perhaps my MFC editor would even remotely meet the size restrictions.

Actually I think some of my shaders might meet the size requirements, but then they wouldn't be too helpful eh?

SlyMaelstrom
11-18-2006, 12:27 AM
Post on a free file sharing site... there are sites that take up to 2 GB. :)

pianorain
11-18-2006, 02:26 PM
Or just ask. I've got some webspace that you're welcome to use.

maxorator
11-18-2006, 03:17 PM
The worst i know of is pacman.. too repetitive
Well, it was popular 20 years ago...

I haven't played Halo, but I agree with him.

Happy_Reaper
11-18-2006, 03:19 PM
Deer Hunter, anyone ?

maxorator
11-18-2006, 03:20 PM
Me. It got boring after playing about a day...

Happy_Reaper
11-19-2006, 01:05 AM
A day ? More like right after reading the back of the box...

g4j31a5
11-19-2006, 07:27 PM

<- Halo/CS fan

Obviously, you haven't played those oldies gems, right? :D

Come to think of it, I've made a text based game with batch file scripting back in the DOS days (loved the "echo"s and "goto"s back then). Dunno where they are now though. All my disks were ruined. And even if they weren't, I think it would be useless as they were 5 1/2 inches disks.

divineleft
11-19-2006, 08:22 PM

<- Halo/CS fan
Ever play half life 2?

maxorator
11-20-2006, 05:47 AM
A day ? More like right after reading the back of the box...
I usually don't play more than an hour a day :)

indigo0086
11-20-2006, 09:34 AM
Ever play half life 2?

There wasn't much story in either half-life, you know how the world changed from part one to two but you don't learn anything about who you are or why you're saving the world. It was fun though.