PDA

View Full Version : c++?

l2u
11-14-2006, 04:16 PM
I have a curious question why and when you guys decided to start learning c/c++?
How long did it take to get used to for you? I've been programming in c for about 2 years and C++ a few months..

What other languages do you know and how good?

manutd
11-14-2006, 04:19 PM
C was my first real language. Then I went to C++ as it was the most popular choice and it seemed the wave of the future. It only took me a couple of months to get used to it, but a couple of years to truly understand the little intricacies.

Mario F.
11-14-2006, 04:25 PM
This is probably best moved to the general forum.

I know how to program in Delphi, Visual Basic, VB.Net and some Smalltalk. But have worked with other programming languages throughout my career, and before that my youth. I just don't know how to program in them anymore.

manutd
11-14-2006, 04:26 PM
Yep.

Salem
11-14-2006, 04:30 PM
Moved.

Sentral
11-14-2006, 05:12 PM
I started with Python. I heard of C++ during this time, and wanted to find out more. My relative took some programming courses in college so he gave me some books to get started. I downloaded Bloodshed Dev, and the rest is history! :)

Dark_Phoenix
11-14-2006, 05:34 PM
Olly been programming with C++ for a little less that a year now. Pretty easy to understand, harder to get good at it.

Only other language I have used is Basic, learned that when I was in Jr High but have not used it in several years.

h_howee
11-14-2006, 07:36 PM
Started 2 years ago during the summer vacations
I started c++ because no1 else i knew knows c++ (i know, dumb reason) and i thought it would be easy
same reason why i started any of my other hobbies (addictions)

twomers
11-14-2006, 07:45 PM
I started in first year in university with C (one could argue samphire won, but I don't), then in second we learned C++ ... now, in third year, we aren't doing any programming languages as part of the curriculum. We need to know Matlab/Mathematica, but we have to learn it ourselves if we want to be able to get our work done, but they are rather straightforward and online help is widespread if needed.

divineleft
11-14-2006, 08:12 PM
I started to program in php two years ago, then gave up. A few months later I tried C++ and gave up shortly after. I really started learning c++ about four months ago.

psychopath
11-14-2006, 09:09 PM
Been programming in C++ for almost 3 years now. I also know C++/CLI and C# frairly well, and some Visual Basic (which I learned before starting with C++).

vart
11-15-2006, 12:29 AM
Ahh, let me think... How it all started (8bit assembler we will not count in any case it was too many years ago so cannot be true)
Fort?.. BASIC definitly, Fortran, C (I loved it), FoxPro (everybody needs to eat), C++ ( ten years ago I think - they pay, I use it), then - back to school (Ha! They choose C to teach OOP, it was very funny - but now it is very usefull on my current place of work), And again C/C++, XML, VBScipt, javascript, java, SQL (I love it too), and once again C and VB (I hate the last, but have no choice). Probably forgot something that was used less than 2 months. But this is my story of life. ;)

So in most cases I didn't make a decisn - the project made it for me.

taelmx
11-15-2006, 12:36 AM
I programmed in C++ for about a year, I'm still learning though. I can at least understand the structure and syntax of the language. I'm still learning a lot of the libraries and header file stuff.

indigo0086
11-15-2006, 07:14 AM
I started off with C when I was younger on the Mac with code/powerbuilder or whatever it was called but quickly got bored, then in high school I started with C++, but fell out of that. Ironically a friend of mine was interested in it after me telling him about it and he surpassed me at the time, now he's lead programmer for bellsouth in the DR. Now I'm back on C++ while learning java in school. So it's hard to do anything in C++ without doing it in java first.

maxorator
11-15-2006, 09:20 AM
Learning the basics of C++ doesn't take very much time...

swgh
11-15-2006, 10:19 AM
If you know C well then the switch to C++ shouldn't be too hard.

I have been learning C++ for three years and learnt some C at school. There is still much of the language I do not know and am still learning new bits and peices each day. As with C, id say the hardest topics to grasp is memory management, ie: pointers (malloc() ) in C and file reading was a little difficult to grasp I find too.

If you are a dedicated C programmer and are looking to switch to C++ then prepeare to see the C langauge stretched and altered in ways you never thought possible

g4j31a5
11-16-2006, 09:20 PM
I started having some interest to programming back in my junior high days (in 1995 I think). Back then I experimented with batch file scripting autodidacly with my 386 (did the recursive and infinite looped batch file back then). And then playing some quick basic autodidacly also. And with PC-tools I started hacking the MS-DOS (well, not hacking actually, only changing the command names, the version string, the help sentences if you add "/?" after a command, etc, with PC-Tools' hex editor ) autodidacly. And in senior high, I programmed with Turbo Pascal because it's one of the extra curricular in my school. I just found out about C/C++ in my college days. And liked it since I found out most games were programmed by it.

Roy01
11-18-2006, 09:51 AM
I have learned C++ for 3 months. I learn it just because it is a core subject of my programme. Until now, I still can't get used to it even though I put quite a lot of effort to try to understand it. Hope it goes better later.