PDA

View Full Version : Motivate me.

psychopath
10-30-2006, 06:46 PM
Someone please explain to me that school is very important, and try and motivate me to do my homework and finish my physics assignment.

Or threaten me, if you find that works better.

Prelude
10-30-2006, 07:38 PM
>Someone please explain to me that school is very important, and try and motivate me to do
>my homework and finish my physics assignment.
Why would I want to do that? I mean really, if you make it through school, who's going to deliver my pizza during late night hacking sessions? :eek:

divineleft
10-30-2006, 07:50 PM
...motivate me...

Why would I want to do that? I mean really, if you make it through school, who's going to deliver my pizza during late night hacking sessions? :eek:
well done

Happy_Reaper
10-30-2006, 08:42 PM
I agree with Prelude. I've always thought it would be cool if I could talk about programming with the guy bagging my groceries...

alphaoide
10-30-2006, 10:28 PM
Well, if you don't have parents that will kick you out of the house if you don't pass your classes, then you're free to do anything.

School is just a means; do what you have to do to get what you want to accomplish.

Tonto
10-31-2006, 02:04 PM
Physics was such an awesome class. My teacher was a Ex-Denver Bronco's cheerleader that for some reason decided to come teach AP B Physics and we never did anything and she hated us all. Consequences of that ordeal - gonna git mah behind kicked for the sat ii physics subject test -- this saturday!

SlyMaelstrom
10-31-2006, 02:08 PM
Heh... I had a substitute for AP Physics in high school the entire year. This wasn't a trained Physics teacher, either. It was one of those general purpose subs and we didn't learn anything. Luckily, however, there was no such thing as the SAT II when I took the SATs. :)

psychopath
11-01-2006, 12:08 PM
Well, i'm still not really motivated, but I managed to finish it. I don't how much of it i'll get correct, but it's done.

But now I have to start studying for my re-test in math. Although, I did pass, but I only got 60% on it, but i'm used to getting 80% or more, so it seems much worse to me (replace 60% and 80% with 'C' and 'A' or something, for those of you still on that silly system).

DavidP
11-01-2006, 12:19 PM
60% and 80% as a C and an A?.. Psh...I think your school system is a bit too lax.

In my high school a 60% was an F and an 80% was a B. (A B- to be exact)

In fact..anything below 70% was an F.

psychopath
11-01-2006, 01:36 PM
I thought F was 50% and below, or something. In my school anything below 50 is a fail. And maybe A is 90 or something. I don't really know. I've never had to use that lettered system.

indigo0086
11-01-2006, 01:51 PM
*CHICK CHACK*

motivation enough?

maxorator
11-01-2006, 02:34 PM
Hmm, A B C D E F...
In Estonia the system is something like this:
5 - something over 90%
4 - something over 75%
3 - over 50%
2 - everything under 50%
1 - you didn't do the test

2 is always a fail grade.

psychopath
11-01-2006, 03:03 PM
That sounds similar to our system, except I think we treat 1 and 2 as the same, since 0% is under 50.

Benzakhar
11-01-2006, 06:20 PM
I remember laughing in my physics class alot :) because it was fun :cool:

Queatrix
11-02-2006, 07:05 AM
1/2 the things you learn in school you will never use and is A WASTE OF TIME.

how's that for motivation? :D

maxorator
11-02-2006, 07:30 AM
He'll probably fail now, because of you Queatrix.

cboard_member
11-02-2006, 11:00 AM
I know it's hard: trust me.

If you bugger about in school and/or college, you'll regret it in 2-3 years time.

vart
11-02-2006, 02:14 PM
1/2 the things you learn in school you will never use and is A WASTE OF TIME.

how's that for motivation? :D
If it doesn't kill us - it makes us stronger. (c)
So maybe not so waste... But of course I never actually tested it by myseft - tried not to waste my time on something I'll never use - I just got the pass score before reaching the exam... You know, when the teacher really likes your attitude and thinks you should continue in your life just with his subject ;)

Tonto
11-04-2006, 11:31 AM
This is ridiculous. I'm testing those SAT subject tests tomorrow, and I have had the craziest fluctuations in self-confidence that I've ever experienced. And like, those head & shoulders commercials that say stress induces dandruff? I'm am totally convinced that it is true. I got my head shaved awhile back (consequence of falling asleep around friends) and just sort of have a habit of rubbing my head while testing. After the hour-long practice was done, I got up, there was an amazing thick ring of dandruff around my seat, and all over my pants, and stuff. And then my neighbors asked for a cup of sugar and I gathered all the dandruff and put it in in the cup and they were all, "Thanks!" I have since invested in a 64oz bottle of head & shoulders.

twomers
11-04-2006, 04:48 PM
>> craziest fluctuations in self-confidence

I know what you mean. Not with respect to exams, at the moment, but I had some interviews recently and between the numerical reasoning and visual something tests we had to do, the three interviews and presentations and case study I reckon one could plot the confidence throughout the day with a sine function, mainly between pi/2 and 3pi/2 :/ Least I was '1' at one stage I guess :)

For motivation I look at the exam papers, get freaked out cause I don't know ANYTHING, even when I should, and cram.

h3ro
11-04-2006, 07:00 PM
Maxorator: I did the same, worked fine from 1th to 10th grade, but when I got to high school that did not do the trick anymore. Life gets harder you know

maxorator
11-04-2006, 08:21 PM
Wow, you must have really difficult tests.
I can just leave the studying to the last 20 minutes before the test :D

Tonto
11-05-2006, 03:32 PM
>> I reckon one could plot the confidence throughout the day with a sine function, mainly between pi/2 and 3pi/2 :/ Least I was '1' at one stage I guess

[pi / 2, 3 * pi / 2] you were at 1 at two points
(pi / 2, 3 * pi / 2) you were never at 1 ;)

Yeah, I had to know just about anything that could ever be related to trig properties and identities for the math iic test.

>> I did the same, worked fine from 1th to 10th grade, but when I got to high school that did not do the trick anymore.

You hit high school after 10th? 2 year high school in a K-12 system?

>> I can just leave the studying to the last 20 minutes before the test

I can normally do that too. I suppose my grades suffer from that. Which I suppose is why I studied really hard for ap + standardized tests. If they see I didn't do all that great in a class but that I ace the standardized and ap tests, then they could make one of two conclusions. (1) The class was really hard, but I still learned the content and am a good student (2) I slacked off in the class and despite learning the material, am a bad student. I don't know. This whole college thing is dumb :)

taelmx
11-05-2006, 03:58 PM
Go to University of Tokyo like me and you get to make invisibility cloaks. <.<

Yeah, I slack off, but when it comes to the test where you have to bubble in a sheet of paper, I can get close to a perfect score without study a single bit...

psychopath
11-05-2006, 04:12 PM
I can't afford to leave my province, much less move to Japan.

h3ro
11-05-2006, 05:41 PM
>>You hit high school after 10th? 2 year high school in a K-12 system?
In norway the system is like this:

up to 6 years old: Kindergarden
from 1st to 7th grade: child school (not sure what it is in english)
8th to 10th: middel school
11th to 13th : high school

manutd
11-06-2006, 03:15 PM
from 1st to 7th grade: child school (not sure what it is in english)It's called elementary school.

TriKri
11-06-2006, 03:53 PM
Theory of relativity is cool! Besides, there is much math in physics. That's what i like at least.

maxorator
11-06-2006, 03:53 PM
Here it's different (Estonia):
1st to 5th - elementary school
6th to 9th - middle school
10th to 12th - high school

IfYouSaySo
11-06-2006, 05:11 PM
I hated Physics. It was like pulling teeth. I took Physics I, and worked really hard because I knew that I would be taking Physics II. I got a B-. Then I put off Physics II until the very last semester, and then I had no reason to even try to remember anything. I can't say enough bad things about it really...it was the only C I got while pursuing my CS degree.

Have faith. Just because you suck at Physics doesn't mean you're a bad programmer. It just means that you might be.

joeprogrammer
11-06-2006, 09:50 PM
Here it's different (Estonia):
1st to 5th - elementary school
6th to 9th - middle school
10th to 12th - high school
In Canada (not sure if it's different from US) the only difference is that middle school ends in 8th grade, and highschool starts in grade 9.

Just hang in there, Psycopath! You'll thank us afterwards. :)

Happy_Reaper
11-06-2006, 11:10 PM
In Canada (not sure if it's different from US) the only difference is that middle school ends in 8th grade, and highschool starts in grade 9.
...except in Quebec, where elementary finishes at 6, high school is from 7 to 12, and then comes CEGEP, then university.

I really don't know why that is. Quebecquers...it would seem...enjoy being different...

taelmx
11-07-2006, 07:25 AM
Japan has the same system as America now...

manutd
11-07-2006, 02:22 PM
@joeprogrammer: I think it is, at least where I live.

twomers
11-07-2006, 04:12 PM
The Irish system

Pre-School
General 5 and 6 year old school stuff
(1st - 6th class) ~7 - ~12 years of age (Primary School)
(1st - 6th year) ~13 - ~18 years of age (Secondary School)

and then to third level, if you want/can.

Out of curiosity, how much holidays do ye guys get during the summer? I'm talking about primary school and secondary school and third level (or equivalent systems).

In Ireland:

Primary: ~2 Months (July and August)
Secondary: ~3 Months (June, July and August, according to my dad the three best reasons to become a secondary school teacher)
University (note: not uniform across the island, so I'm just picking my one): ~same as Secondary School.

g4j31a5
11-08-2006, 01:42 PM
In my country:

1 - 6 = elementary (for age 7 to 12)
7 - 9 = junior high (for age 13 - 15)
10 - 12 = senior high (for age 16 - 18)

Actually that's the minimum recommended education from the government. But in truth, most people dropped out after graduating elementary (especially the poor ones). The quality of education in my country is so bad yet the cost is so high. The irony. :(

maxorator
11-08-2006, 01:45 PM
Cost? That kind of education should be free...

Where do you live?
In Estonia, you CAN drop out after 9th grade, not before...

g4j31a5
11-08-2006, 01:57 PM
Cost? That kind of education should be free...

Where do you live?
In Estonia, you CAN drop out after 9th grade, not before...

Well, I live in Indonesia. And nothing in this country is FREE. Even if you have to take a leak in the public toilet, you have to pay. Isn't that great? :D

Actually it's not too expensive. But being in an economic catastrophe, if people were given a choice of whetherto be educated or to have something to eat for the day, people tend to choose the latter.

TriKri
11-08-2006, 01:59 PM
In my country:

1 - 6 = elementary (for age 7 to 12)
7 - 9 = junior high (for age 13 - 15)
10 - 12 = senior high (for age 16 - 18)

Actually that's the minimum recommended education from the government. But in truth, most people dropped out after graduating elementary (especially the poor ones). The quality of education in my country is so bad yet the cost is so high. The irony. :(

The school system in Sweden:

1 - 3:d class = elementary school (starts the year you turn 7)
4 - 6:th class = middle school
7 - 9:th class = junior high school
1 - usually 3:d ring = senior high

maxorator
11-08-2006, 02:14 PM
Well, I live in Indonesia. And nothing in this country is FREE.
Estonia seems to be quite moderate in these things. But in Norway, you don't even have to pay for electricity.

g4j31a5
11-08-2006, 02:23 PM
Estonia seems to be quite moderate in these things. But in Norway, you don't even have to pay for electricity.

Yeah, tell that to the people high above. They'll just shrug off and go to bed. And I'm not being sarcastic. :D

swgh
11-08-2006, 06:42 PM
@Psychopath

After reading your post and the replys about getting you motivated, it has dawned on me to ask you a question.

You took an interest in computer science ( ie, programming ) because you felt "motivated" by it. It is a taxing hobbie and can be very self-rewarding - look at pointers for one thing!

If you are motivated enough to do programming as a hobbie, ( I assume you may not take it as a seperate class at school or college ) then think of every boring homework assingment you have to do as a program.

Break it up into more managable chunks, like functions in a program, then you might feel more inspired to get it done - good luck in all your endevours by the way, remember, motivation is the key in life, not just programming...

taelmx
11-08-2006, 10:42 PM
Even Literature can be broken down into key functions and elements. ;)

Sorry, but good luck with PE....

int main() {
int time = gettime();
run();
gettired();
pushups();
return home;
)

Tonto
11-09-2006, 12:22 AM
God, you guys are nerds.

>> Well, I live in Indonesia. And nothing in this country is FREE. Even if you have to take a leak in the public toilet, you have to pay. Isn't that great?

Those pay-for-a-hole-in-the-ground things are revolting.

Tonto
11-28-2006, 04:25 AM
Math IIC Subject Test; 800
Physics Subject Test; 750

Anyways, I don't know what those scores are even gonna do for me. And I don't know why I'm saying it here. No one is awake at 3:00 AM anyways.

Mario F.
11-28-2006, 04:28 AM
10:27 am to be more exact ;)

vart
11-28-2006, 04:41 AM
it was 12:25 pm for me... ;)

Tonto
11-28-2006, 07:38 AM
God. It's 6:32 AM. That was rough on the old noggin'

psychopath
11-28-2006, 01:31 PM
Wow, I forgot about this thread ;p.

Anyway, if any of you are interested, I came out of term one with an %80 average in Physics. And I think my average in AP Math is about that or higher.

Thanks for all of your suggestions and encouragment too BTW.

VirtualAce
11-29-2006, 12:07 AM
At this forum we don't bump old threa.......

Just kidding. :D

Glad you made it through.