PDA

View Full Version : MUDs!!!!

Sentral
10-22-2006, 01:08 PM
Anyone play MUDs (Multi-User Dungeons)? Text based ones, not graphical MUDs like World of Warcraft or Everquest. I'm currently playing Azilar, using the AL Client. I'm really starting to get into it, perhaps a little too much? :D Post what MUD you play and what client (if any) you use.

pianorain
10-22-2006, 01:24 PM
I play Imperian, occasionally using their own Java client (Nexus), but usually using RoAClient. To be honest, I'm not impressed with any of the MUD clients. I'm going to give zMUD one more try, but I'm already most of the way through coding my own, so if I don't like it either, no big deal.

maxorator
10-22-2006, 01:54 PM
I used to use JMC (Jaba Mud Client)...
It's new versions are worse than the older ones.

Sentral
10-22-2006, 02:06 PM
Clients aren't really a big deal for me. Their job isn't complicated, but, it's more appealing to look at Windows GUI then use plain old console window.

jEssYcAt
10-22-2006, 06:30 PM
I used to play Shadowdale MUD (sdmud.org 7777) using an old and no longer supported version of zMUD. I didn't care so much about the zmud client, it did the connection, formatted stuff in pretiful colors for me and allowed me to use macros. I was almost as happy playing with niftytelnet or even windows console telnet app.

SD Mud is based on Shadowdale and uses DaleMud (a Diku deriv), but is heavily modded and customized. SD is a very colorful mud if you turn the color options on; room exits are highlighted in different colors which helps you see at a glance where you can go, certain spells are done in certain colors to stand out, etc. The userbase is (was, I haven't logged on for lack of time in probably a year now so I don't know if it is still up... it probably is) very loyal and at one point very tight, but also very friendly and helpful to newbies. At any given time, if you were new and one of the older players was on, they'd offer to take you around and get you equipped and get you some xp and whatnot.

Oh, many happy memories on Shadowdale. :o)

Sentral
10-22-2006, 07:05 PM
We should do a CProg MUD. Maybe like a Cyberpunk type atmosphere, where you can hack fake machines. And form 'hacking teams' to be more powerful. Then you can get viruses and keyloggers to help you hack better. Just an idea.... :D

jEssYcAt
10-22-2006, 07:31 PM
Hmmm, in one of the newbie areas of this proposed MUD, Quzah could be a mob that the newbie has to find a way to bypass; the puzzles of this area would be programming excercises, and until the newbie competently put a simple program together, the Quzah mob would keep teleporting the newbie back to the beginning to re-read the mud tutorial and then solve the problem correctly, or if this newbie confronted him enough times, Quzah would simply eviscerate the player...

whiteflags
10-22-2006, 07:36 PM
Somehow that sounds absolutely terrible.

Well it's better than what I first thought would happen. At least this way the mods wont band together and destroy the rest of us.

Frobozz
10-22-2006, 10:59 PM
I'm surprised Azilar is still around. Last I checked nobody was online so I just started ignoring it. Most of the people I knew are probably gone anyways. Funny but half the people I knew on AIM are also long gone - you'd be surprised how much changes over a short period of time (approx five years).

maxorator
10-23-2006, 05:24 AM
you'd be surprised how much changes over a short period of time (approx five years).
Really short period :p

Slayer
11-04-2006, 10:12 PM
I played swmud.org for about 10 years... I still log in there from time to time...

I've been collecting and compiling mud codebases for many years now...

I can't code to save myself (but hope to fix that some time) but know my way around a compiler quite well...

enough to fix easy cast errors etc and missing headers...

weird eh :)

Slayer
11-04-2006, 10:15 PM
off topic:

Estonia? Maxorator?

didn't that use to be part of Russia? I travel across to your place in 1995 on a ferry trip when I was in Finland :)

maxorator
11-05-2006, 01:41 AM
We managed to get rid of Russia in 1991.

Slayer
11-05-2006, 05:55 PM
ah understood :)

natiels
06-25-2008, 10:28 AM
Hey, dug this thing up from the grave. It's an old post, but it is related to the reason I joined this forum. I am a coder for a MUD called FoxMUD - www.foxmud.com 4848. It is written in C :).

Just wanted to introduce myself and say that this is an awesome forum. I have already learned some new things.

Mario F.
06-25-2008, 10:32 AM
err. It's usually shuned around here, for some reason, the bringing threads back from the dead routine. This one is 2 years old. Mate... I think you beat some record.

Just letting you know. Welcome and all that stuff I'm supposed to say ;)