PDA

View Full Version : In less than an hour.

Queatrix
10-15-2006, 04:34 PM
I challanged my self to make a game in less than an hour, and this is what I came up with:
http://queatrix.awardspace.com/programs/rinkee.com

Script here:
http://queatrix.awardspace.com/programs/rinkee.cpp

What do you think of it for being made in less than an hour and FillRect() for the only graphic drawing function? (Other than TextOut(), but that is not used for the actuall game play.)

Wraithan
10-15-2006, 04:54 PM
Wow... looks like hell on my system...

I will post a screeny in a sec

Queatrix
10-15-2006, 05:08 PM
Wraithan, why do you have invisible on? (Look below)

Hiding from someone? :D

Wraithan
10-15-2006, 05:26 PM
Don't mind the bottom download complete thing from FF... anyway... the screen is updating so slow that it looks horrid, but I can't get that in a SS. I can see it updating though.

Ahh... I disabled my second monitor and it worked fine... seems it is spreading accross to my other screen, just enough to mess it up but not enough for me to see much other than a sliver on it.

Queatrix
10-15-2006, 05:34 PM
You have a larger screen than me, which is why there is so much pick and empty space, and it seems that you have a slower computer.

What's an SS?

Wraithan
10-15-2006, 05:41 PM
Screen shot, and my comptuer is a Intel 2.8ghz, vid card is 96meg intel onboard.

It can run WoW with most of the settings maxed out, it is something is wrong with your app.

Also I can still see the screen updating it is mostly flashes of black. Are you double buffering? (don't feel like diggin in your source code).

Queatrix
10-15-2006, 05:45 PM
No I'm not, that's the problem, when I do double buffer (which is allmost always) there is no flashed or streaks, but it takes longer to program.

Sentral
10-15-2006, 05:49 PM
Yeah, I got a whole bunch of flashing (almost had a siezure :) ). It's pretty awesome for 1 hour though.

Wraithan
10-15-2006, 05:50 PM
shouldn't take longer... all you have to do is add a flip buffer at the end of your render function/loop

Queatrix
10-15-2006, 05:56 PM
Hmm, I never thought of that, I DB like in here:

http://www.fortunecity.com/rivendell/final/355/files/Forgers.htm

EDIT:

Ineresting, when I add SwapBuffers(hdc); to the end of my rendering code, the refresh rate goes way down and there is a LOT more flashing.

maxorator
10-16-2006, 02:29 AM
Loading bricks is taking some time, that makes it flicker.

Quite good game!
Maybe some more round shapes or something, but in an hour, that's great :D
I tried to get rid of the flickering, by not clearing the whole area, so everything clears it's previous states. Some things still look strange...

IfYouSaySo
10-16-2006, 02:00 PM
I think I've played that game before. It's called "Breakout". Came for free on the 2600.

maxorator
10-16-2006, 02:04 PM
That game is soooo popular. There are thousands of different versions of it.
I don't think anyone knows who invented it first.

h_howee
10-16-2006, 04:21 PM
Breakout is a Pong-like arcade game introduced by Atari in 1976

this post is too short and i have to add more text to post it...