PDA

View Full Version : Writing your own C++ Standard Library implementation...

SlyMaelstrom
10-01-2006, 11:40 PM
Have any of your older, more experienced programmers known of anyone who's taken on this task to write their own implementation of the C++ Standard Library? I know many young programmers write compilers, but I assume that means they just write the parsing and converting to assembly parts and they use pre-made implementations to the Standard Library. So has anyone embarked, or known someone who embarks, on this tedious quest? Surely, the real experienced programmers have known some cocky programmers in the past that insisted they could write more efficient implementations... it's just a matter of if they put their money where their mouth is.

Wraithan
10-01-2006, 11:46 PM
Old co-worker of mine, his roommate was taking PhD level Comp Sci stuff, one of the classes they worked in teams to reimplement the STL as a class. In the end it came out to be better in some spots but overall less efficient.

joeprogrammer
10-02-2006, 08:50 AM
Let's see....
http://cboard.cprogramming.com/showthread.php?p=555080#post555080

Mario F.
10-02-2006, 09:02 AM
Do you keep this stuff like in a notebook? Or is it your memory is that good?

Man! *clap* *clap*

psychopath
10-02-2006, 09:07 AM
Nah, he's just a robot.

SlyMaelstrom
10-02-2006, 09:30 AM
Prelude was a given... I didn't even expect her to reply. I was asking about others.

indigo0086
10-02-2006, 09:34 AM
Prelude was a given... I didn't even expect her to reply. I was asking about others.

is she a she now?

laserlight
10-02-2006, 09:45 AM
is she a she now?
Julian Walker? That's confuzzling.

indigo0086
10-02-2006, 09:48 AM
Julian Walker? That's confuzzling.

that's ironic
http://www.eternallyconfuzzled.com/

psychopath
10-02-2006, 10:30 AM
that's ironic
Really?

cboard_member
10-02-2006, 11:01 AM
I'm slowly building up my own class & function library but it's nowhere near par with the STL - mainly a messy collection of useful... stuff.

Mario F.
10-02-2006, 11:31 AM
We had someone here that knew Stroustrup. He'd die to enter this thread.

twomers
10-02-2006, 11:45 AM
>> We had someone here that knew Stroustrup. He'd die to enter this thread.

Stroustrup??? What did he ever do to a standard C++ library implementation?

I designed and implemented the C++ programming language.

Imagine being able to say that!

>> Nah, he's just a robot.
Or perhaps just a spider ... one who beats Google and Yahoo to their game :p

joeprogrammer
10-02-2006, 04:06 PM
Do you keep this stuff like in a notebook? Or is it your memory is that good?
My memory :D.

Prelude
10-02-2006, 04:10 PM
>Prelude was a given...
Hmm, I think you guys give me too much credit.

>is she a she now?
It depends on whom you ask. I'm sure that not a few people here see me as a dude. ;)

>We had someone here that knew Stroustrup. He'd die to enter this thread.
That would be Dean. He's...indisposed at the moment and won't be joining the discussion. But his "knowing" Stroustrup was limited to email exchanges, and it's common knowledge that Bjarne Stroustrup is good about answering his email.

>Stroustrup??? What did he ever do to a standard C++ library implementation?
Save it from every crap proposal that crossed his desk? :)

gcn_zelda
10-02-2006, 04:43 PM
Stroustrup sounds like some kind of Dutch pastry.

Mario F.
10-02-2006, 05:16 PM
> That would be Dean. He's...indisposed at the moment and won't be joining the discussion. But his "knowing" Stroustrup was limited to email exchanges, and it's common knowledge that Bjarne Stroustrup is good about answering his email.

Yes. We pretty much established that he only thought he knew Stroustrup

indigo0086
10-02-2006, 05:35 PM
>> Nah, he's just a robot.
Or perhaps just a spider ... one who beats Google and Yahoo to their game :p

If you're talking about webcrawler he retired a long time ago.

SlyMaelstrom
10-02-2006, 06:35 PM
Hmm, I think you guys give me too much credit.Heh... I wasn't saying you're a given because you're a great programmer... more so because I said this
some cocky programmers ... that insisted they could write more efficient implementations...Hehe... I jes' kiddin'. You're a great programmer.

Prelude
10-02-2006, 06:43 PM
>more so because I said this
>>some cocky programmers ... that insisted they could write more efficient implementations...
That was one of the reasons, sure. :) Of course, I'm realistic enough to know that I was unlikely to be able to do it. While a few parts of my implementations were better, some were worse, and the majority showed a negligable difference. The result proves little more than I'm no better or worse than whoever wrote the code I compared against. It's a bit of a slap in the face seeing as how I have a massive ego. ;)

pianorain
10-02-2006, 07:54 PM
It's a bit of a slap in the face seeing as how I have a massive ego. ;)Considering that it was you against a team of programmers, I'd say you fared well enough.