PDA

View Full Version : Sarcastic commentary... ...

SlyMaelstrom
09-27-2006, 12:14 PM
See the title? I do that a lot... I want to know your opinion. If someone makes a sarcastic comment with ellipses followed by another ellipses does that second eclipses appear to you as just more silence or a curse censored by the message board. For instance, when you read
Oh, that's a real good one... ...do you see
Oh, that's a real good one... *silence*or
Oh, that's a real good one... ass

Just wanted to know how it looks because I wouldn't want anything thinking I mean what I don't mean.

twomers
09-27-2006, 12:20 PM
I normally use '...' when I'm thinking. A '... ...', to my mind, isn't a very ... (thinking for a word) ... (damn), good way for silence, unless, as above, it's broken by a set of **'s, ()'s, {}'s, or [] with a comment or something between. When I was on a quest for sarcasm tags a while ago, someone mentioned they use ':rolleyes:' for sarcasm, and I use that every now and then. tags are too long :rolleyes:

PS - My nephew likes your avitar, Sly. He finds a dancing milk carton very amusing!

whiteflags
09-27-2006, 12:20 PM
No, there is a clear distinction for me.

Bleeped: Oh, that's a real good one... ..............
Cleaner: Oh, that's a real good one... ...

SlyMaelstrom
09-27-2006, 12:34 PM
If you make the sarcasm too obvious it's just not funny anymore. That's why I don't use :rolleyes: or the [SARCASM] tags... I like to leave room for the chance that they don't quite get it's sarcasm.

...but I'm sure you understand that... ...

twomers
09-27-2006, 12:34 PM
Or -

Rolleyes: Oh, that's a real good one :rolleyes:

>> but I'm sure you understand that... ...
I do get it, and I use it in real life a lot! I make my friends, as often as not, try to guess when I say something that's sarcastic or something that's not. Just don't inflect your voice, and your closest friends doubt themselves ;)

>> If you make the sarcasm too obvious it's just not funny anymore
I used to do the invisible thing ... remember ...

SlyMaelstrom
09-27-2006, 12:41 PM
Eheh... twomers in real life my sarcastic ability can put any brit to shame. I challenge you to a Sarcastoff!

twomers
09-27-2006, 12:43 PM
I challenge you to a Sarcastoff!
Huh, bet you won't even show up

<---------- Ahem
... 'can put any brit to shame' ... I wish .

indigo0086
09-27-2006, 05:21 PM
"This thread is really going places."

Do that for homework.

Mario F.
09-27-2006, 05:47 PM
> in real life my sarcastic ability can put any brit to shame

... ...

swoopy
09-27-2006, 10:08 PM
Well if any of you clowns had the biting sarcasm of Quzah, you wouldn't need ellipsis ...

SlyMaelstrom
09-27-2006, 10:16 PM
Well if any of you clowns had the biting sarcasm of Quzah, you wouldn't need ellipsis ...Quzah's not sarcastic, he's just an ... :)
... and an extremely witty one at that.

swoopy
09-27-2006, 10:29 PM
Quzah's not sarcastic, he's just an ... :)
... and an extremely witty one at that.
Yeah, with Quzah, it's more like hit you over the head with a baseball bat.:D

Driver
09-28-2006, 05:23 AM
And for the record, I'm really Really, REALLY scared of Quzah .... I had to go and have therapy the last time I read one of his flames because, well, it messed with my mind and I needed to get help really fast.

Almost made me feel suicidal.

And I'm absolutely petrified of being added to his "Ignore" list .... just have to make absolutely certain I use those CODE tags.

No sarcasm tags, no rolleyes emoticons, just a plain, straightforward post :)

Mario F.
09-28-2006, 05:42 AM
Some houses have watch dogs. Some forums have Quzahs. They have the exact same effect. Bark a lot but can't bite because they are on the other side of the fence. And even more ironic is that behind that macho, pure-breed stunt, is a sensitive caring dog which rolls over for a good belly rub when he's owner calls him in.

Quzah is... funny. Not really scary.

Driver
09-28-2006, 12:58 PM
Hmmmmm .... maybe I should have used ..... tags after all :)

twomers
09-28-2006, 01:11 PM
See, this is where sarcasm gets confusing.

It's like that film where that guy has a nuke, blows it up underground, and holds the country hostage with a second. He runs and all signs say he's going west, so the good guys go east, and guess right. If he was a real evil genius, he would have gone east, but the good guys would instinctively known that he was double throwing them and gone east and found him anyway ...

Heh, the good and bad guys of sarcasm :rolleyes: if you get me

SlyMaelstrom
09-28-2006, 01:20 PM
I don't get your location, twomers... I'm IRISH, too, yet as you can clearly see, I'm located out of scope. So I just don't get it.

whiteflags
09-28-2006, 01:22 PM
I think that everyone who posted in this thread is just really bad at putting sarcasm in their writing. Sarcasm isn't for everyone.

SlyMaelstrom
09-28-2006, 01:24 PM
I think that everyone who posted in this thread is just really bad at putting sarcasm in their writing. Sarcasm isn't for everyone.That's a statement of someone who can't identify sarcasm when they see it. For instance, there are three sarcastic words in this post. Can you identify them?

twomers
09-28-2006, 01:28 PM
>> twomers in real life my sarcastic ability can put any brit to shame.

Just pointing out that that doesn't include me is all. Sarcasm doesn't work all that well when it's not spontaneous. I mean, come awn.

>> I think that everyone who posted in this thread is just really bad at putting sarcasm in their writing. Sarcasm isn't for everyone.

You're clearly being sarcastic as subtly as you humanly can! I didn't get it for a second

SlyMaelstrom
09-28-2006, 01:30 PM
Just pointing out that that doesn't include me is all. Sarcasm doesn't work all that well when it's not spontaneous. I mean, come awn.Yes... but I put the brits to shame... the brits put you to shame. Ipso facto... I put you to shame.

Mario F.
09-28-2006, 01:30 PM
> You're clearly being sarcastic as subtly as you humanly can! I didn't get it for a second

Nope. Citizen is actually being quiet right.
But what can I say when half the people in this thread think they are sarcastic and the other half doesn't have a clue of what is going on.

SlyMaelstrom
09-28-2006, 01:32 PM
Eheh... which side are you on Mario? :)

...because by your logic, if you think you're sarcastic, then there should be no reason for us to believe your statement to mean what it would appear to say, yet if you had no idea what was going on, then your assessment of what's going on is invalidated completely.

twomers
09-28-2006, 01:34 PM
>> the brits put you to shame.
Not me personally.

>> ... doesn't have a clue of what is going on.
What is going on?

>> if you think you're sarcastic ...
Just like my nuke!! Lets all go divide by zero!

SlyMaelstrom
09-28-2006, 01:35 PM
What is going on?
A brilliant attempt to raise post counts under the radar of the moderators.

twomers
09-28-2006, 01:37 PM
http://cboard.cprogramming.com/showpost.php?p=594352&postcount=9 Need I say more (sorry Mario!)

EDIT - plus, I had more :p

Mario F.
09-28-2006, 01:38 PM
Eheh... which side are you on Mario?

As always, I'm on the wrong side of things.

SlyMaelstrom
09-28-2006, 01:39 PM
I always mix up the whole British UK thing... let me try and get this clear... England and Scotland and Wales are Great Britain... and England and (Northern?)Ireland are the United Kingdom? Ah screw it...

twomers
09-28-2006, 01:42 PM
England, Scotland, Wales and N. Ireland are members of the UK, the republic of Ireland isn't. I was in Scotlank for the summer, perhaps you are confused with that. Meh, my geography's terrible, I probably wouldn't know what which ocean most states in the US are neighboring!

SlyMaelstrom
09-28-2006, 01:44 PM
N. Ireland, Republic of Ireland... same difference. All that matters is which one is better at soccer.

twomers
09-28-2006, 01:46 PM
Heh, if you say so, Sly.

For all our info - Online Encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarcasm)s (http://uncyclopedia.org/wiki/Sarcasm) give the best info!! Who knew Wilde had so much to say on the subject!

SlyMaelstrom
09-28-2006, 01:53 PM
Heh, if you say so, Sly.Haha... I guess I'll take that to mean the better players are from the Ireland that you're not from. :)

...anyway, I best not go offending soccer or its teams. I believe that may be a form of blasphemy in Europe.

Driver
09-28-2006, 02:07 PM
And for those who want lessons, here is a tutorial (http://www.sarcasmsociety.com/howtobesarcastic/) on how to be sarcastic.

Actually, I wasn't being sarcastic in putting that. Maybe using the sarcasm tags was the sarcasm?!?!?!???!!(!)

SlyMaelstrom
09-28-2006, 02:09 PM
Angoid... you're clearly at a level above and beyond us...

twomers
09-28-2006, 02:10 PM
>> I believe that may be a form of blasphemy in Europe.
Possibly. Depends who you ask.

Ireland aren't great at it, either of them, heh. Sounds a weird way of putting it. FIFA (http://www.fifa.com/en/mens/statistics/index/0,2548,All-Sep-2006,00.html)rank us as 43rd, while N.Ireland are 58th. I don't really follow soccer all that much. Once every four years I watch a lot more matches than normal. I'm a rugby guy really. And Ireland aren't half bad at that, perhaps the clubs more than the international team (where we're ranked (http://www.irb.com/en/World+Rankings/world+rankings+full.htm)5th (higher than the UK apparently :)), but there we go.

Hey, Angoid, did you get that from my ... erm ... plural link? I was just reading it!

>> Angoid... you're clearly at a level above and beyond us...
Lets look into the psyche of Sarcasm. Why do we need it? Does it do us any benefit? Who invented it?

SlyMaelstrom
09-28-2006, 02:12 PM
Lets look into the psyche of Sarcasm. Why do we need it? Does it do us any benefit? Who invented it?It's clearly and expression of my concealed anger and cynicism.

Driver
09-28-2006, 02:20 PM
Twomers, I did get that from your link :) but of course I'm also wondering who can translate the Irish in my sig without using Google and cite where it comes from ;)

I know I saw someone post, "Here's your sign" the other day in a different thread, but this form of sarcasm amuses me no end ..... when someone says something stupid, here's what you do (http://www.snopes.com/humor/jokes/heresign.htm).

twomers
09-28-2006, 02:25 PM
>> I'm also wondering who can translate the Irish in my sig without using Google

Someone who went to an Irish Speaking National School, where they learnt History, Irish, Maths, Geography, RE, PE and Drama through the dead language, and before he left school could speak it fluently, and since then hasn't spoken it. Sigh. I don't see the point in learning a language which is of no use. ... Honest, I'm not bitter ... ...

Google do Irish translations these days??

>> It's clearly and expression of my concealed anger and cynicism.
I'm here for you!

psychopath
09-28-2006, 02:40 PM
This thread doesn't make sense...

maxorator
09-28-2006, 02:55 PM
This thread doesn't make sense...
People just need a thread where to discuss about nothing...

SlyMaelstrom
09-28-2006, 03:06 PM
It's like Seinfeld... very little going on, yet you can't take your eyes away.

twomers
09-28-2006, 03:06 PM
People just need a thread where to discuss about nothing...
Perhaps it was Sly has been playing us all along ...

>> Maybe using the sarcasm tags was the sarcasm
Maybe the thread was the sarcasm ...

Mario F.
09-28-2006, 04:15 PM
> And for those who want lessons, here is a tutorial on how to be sarcastic.

Ahhhh, thanks. But I wasn't sarcastic on any of my posts.

SlyMaelstrom
09-28-2006, 04:19 PM
Ahhhh, thanks. But I wasn't sarcastic on any of my posts.Nooo... really?

*high-fives someone*

I jas' messing with you, mahn.