01-07-2002, 11:04 PM
Best Guitarist?

Fordy
01-08-2002, 03:55 AM
Uhh....

Jimi Hendrix...???

Stevie Ray Vaughan???

Or does this apply to the living?

If so I would say Clapton.....cuz I can play a bit of his stuff......

For utter Screaming Demons Vai and Satch......but I cant listen to that crap

mithrandir
01-08-2002, 05:34 AM
>> Or does this apply to the living? <<

Well I guess it's not just for those still rocking the world, becaus JLH is there.

Well if I had the power to edit the poll, I'd add Hendrix and Ray Vaughan as well...

>>For utter Screaming Demons Vai and Satch......but I cant listen to that crap<<

I don't mind Vai, but I don't think Satriani is all that good a song writer, but he can play though.

Govtcheez
01-08-2002, 06:48 AM
Added Jimi, voted for Page....

I'd rather listen to Satch than Vai anytime... When I was 15-16, I got a chance to see both of them and Kenny Wayne Sheppard (before he was big) in the same concert - it was amazing...

iain
01-08-2002, 12:09 PM
Vai and hendrix are good technically, but i find it difficult to listen to vai and satriani.

Brian may is aslso a good guitarist (Queen) - Bohemian Rhaposdy was 12 pages of guitar tab and i go lost after the third bar!

Stoned_Coder
01-08-2002, 12:24 PM
I will go with Jimi just simply because i think he was way ahead of his time. He was doing things with a guitar in the late sixties that have to be seen to be believed. I also really like gary moore,steve vai, gilmour, satriani, kirk hammett..... the list goes on.

Stoned_Coder
01-08-2002, 12:26 PM
and where the f**k is ANGUS ??

how can you forget about ANGUS.

Govtcheez
01-08-2002, 12:30 PM
Better, sc?

There! That's the last one I'm adding! :p

Stoned_Coder
01-08-2002, 12:37 PM
i wanna change my vote lol

Pendragon
01-08-2002, 01:53 PM
I can't say just one...

...Joe Satriani, Jimi Hendrix, Steve Vai are all technically brilliant.
..for technical accuracy and the best guitar solos I'd say... Joe Petrucci, Steven Rothery and Vai.
4 is the least I can pin it down to and even that seems too few. :D

-Pendragon

Ibanez guitars rule!

C_Coder
01-08-2002, 01:54 PM
For fast fingers Slash gets my vote, but for quality playing I'd go for the edge(live performances). Neither on list :(

Pendragon
01-08-2002, 01:58 PM
Damn, I forgot about Slash. I feel sorry for his guitars sometimes! :D

rick barclay
01-08-2002, 02:46 PM
If Jimi Hendrix had lived, just think what we would have done
as an encore to Electric Ladyland? Hendrix rulez, dead or alive.

rick barclay

Fordy
01-08-2002, 03:25 PM
>>If Jimi Hendrix had lived, just think what we would have done
as an encore to Electric Ladyland?

Well I really like his post Ladyland work too.......Angel, Freedom, Midnight Lightning, Pali Gap, Midnight (At least I believe all of these were post Ladyland: 69-70 :)).......that stuff has some cool feelings to it....more angry, more blusey IMHO.........Dunno if any of you know it, bit there's an album called Voodoo Soup that's not official Authorised Hendrix, but has some real great post Ladyland stuff, and also some other material that didnt make it onto the last album. If you see it hanging around give it a listen.......it was one of my favorite albums in uni when I was wrecked out of my skull....along with Dark Side of the Moon and the 4th Led Zep album (excellent music when you dont know where you are :))

>>Hendrix rulez, dead or alive.

Darn Straight!!!

>>Ibanez guitars rule!

Sounds familiar.... :) .... dont give the game away ;)

DISGUISED
01-08-2002, 04:48 PM
Tough question.

Electric - Hendrix
Acoustic - Clapton
Bass - Les Claypool

taylorguitarman
01-08-2002, 05:18 PM
This is a pathetic list of guitar players to choose from. Andres Segovia isn't even on the list.
Not to mention that "best" is a relative word and not all of them play the same style of music. Therefore it's not really fair to pit them against each other.
I like all of the artists for different playing skills but I think it's unfair to say which one is the best. If you could narrow it to something a bit more specific I'd be happy to choose.
Until then, my favorite guitar player is Mark Knopfler.

mithrandir
01-08-2002, 05:59 PM
>>This is a pathetic list of guitar players to choose from<<

Oh please forgive me o lord of the polls!!

Man, for a start, this wasn't meant to be a comprehensive list, just one off the top of my head. Second, you are only allowed 15 options. Most people here don't seem to have a problem with it do they?

taylorguitarman
01-08-2002, 08:46 PM
Sorry to insult you. The list does contain all respectable artists, which I believe is a first. I'm merely saying that this poll is similar to which programming language is best. My favorite overall out of your list would be Clapton, but I think Satriani is the most technical (and he taught Vai), Wes beats everyone for jazz and Stevie Ray's the best blues man. While Hendrix was very influential his technical expertise is not near that of many of the others on the list. They are/were all the best at what they did.

novacain
01-08-2002, 09:02 PM
Interesting. Hendrix is winning with 50% of the vote. I am a big fan but I wonder if he would have been so famous if he had got old, fat and slow.

Good to see there is another Floyd fan out there voting for Gilmore. Silky smooth thru all the bends.

mithrandir
01-09-2002, 12:11 AM
>>Good to see there is another Floyd fan out there voting for Gilmore. Silky smooth thru all the bends.<<

Yeah wonder who that could've been ;)

doubleanti
01-10-2002, 07:37 PM
>Wes beats everyone for jazz

yay! go jazz!!! ::dute dute dute... dittle dute do do dit...:: :)

note to self: learn 32-bar jazz structure finally...

speaking of which, i hope that's what the 12-bar is to blues... much thx... :) can someone point me in a direction?