PDA

View Full Version : Forum name change

VirtualAce
09-06-2006, 12:49 PM
Do to the recent amount of '...graphics in this or that' threads being posted I suggest we change the Game programming forum name to:

Game/Graphics programming forum.

I think the graphics threads belong in the game programming forum and at the very least if someone comes in wanting to do graphics that are non game related, those of us who frequent the game forum now would be more than capable of helping them.

It may unclutter the C and C++ boards of graphics related questions...which are really not C or C++ related questions since C/C++ does not provide any graphics support in the standard.

Comments?

SlyMaelstrom
09-06-2006, 12:54 PM
I'm quite partial to:

SlyMaelstrom's Amazing Forum of Very Wonderful Things (including Game/Graphics programming)

It just seems to stand out more. In any event, I agree that "Graphics" should be added somewhere. Either before or after "Game", but definitely after my name.

VirtualAce
09-06-2006, 01:01 PM
SlyMaelstrom's Amazing Forum of Very Wonderful Things (including Game/Graphics programming)

:D :D Nice. But I don't think that will fit into the space provided for the link. :)

twomers
09-06-2006, 01:04 PM
I'm quite partial to:

It just seems to stand out more. In any event, I agree that "Graphics" should be added somewhere. Either before or after "Game", but definitely after my name.
Abbreviate it!!

SM's AFoVWT( G/G P )

It's kind of hard to pronounce though :/

Shakti
09-06-2006, 01:04 PM
/signed

siavoshkc
09-06-2006, 04:12 PM
Multimedia board? Or Graphics/Audio board. Or DirectX/OpenGL board. And "Game" should be droped.

Govtcheez
09-06-2006, 04:32 PM
bubba i don't think you should change your name to that. it's just too long

SlyMaelstrom
09-06-2006, 07:06 PM
bubba i don't think you should change your name to that. it's just too longWHOA, HEY! I have an uncle named Game/Graphics programming forum, jerk! And he's a great American! Fought in 8 World Wars... started 3 of them, himself!

kawk
09-07-2006, 02:25 PM
I say Game/Graphics programming forum.

cboard_member
09-07-2006, 02:50 PM
/me agrees

Mario F.
09-07-2006, 02:55 PM
I say we leave it as is. (A.K.A. Is this a disguised way of requesting a Graphics forum?)

If people are posting graphics questions on the game forums is because a) they are using graphics under a game(hello?) context and b) they already know the game programming forum is a good place to ask. So why add "Graphics" to it, if it won't make it any more obvious?

SlyMaelstrom
09-07-2006, 03:13 PM
If people are posting graphics questions on the game forums is because a) they are using graphics under a game(hello?) context and b) they already know the game programming forum is a good place to ask. So why add "Graphics" to it, if it won't make it any more obvious?That's not at all true. Just a few weeks ago, a guy posted in the C forum about how to draw a Mandelbrot set from the data. He would have got much better help in the Game forums but didn't think to look there because he didn't realize it was also the place for the best graphics help.

I pretty commonly see graphics questions in the C or C++ forums that don't get adequate help.

I say change the forum name.

Mario F.
09-07-2006, 03:25 PM
It may happen here and there. C questions on the C++ board are far more obvious and yet, they also happen here and there. However what does it look to the unsuspecting looker a "Game/Graphics Programming Forum"?

Is it in oposition to a "Game/Logic programming Forum" and also maybe a "Game/Design Programming Forum"? Is it just for graphics questions? Is it for any game related questions?

Do you really think seeing something as:
Game/Graphics Programming Forum
Isn't going to draw a lot more game related traffic to the C and C++ boards?

I don't see that has being a problem before... but the new name will probably become one.

EDIT: I would say yes to "Game and Graphics Programming Forum". The difference is in the "and".

siavoshkc
09-07-2006, 03:30 PM
Isn't going to draw a lot more game related traffic to the C and C++ boards?
So drop that "Game". Make it something like:
Graphics/Audio

SlyMaelstrom
09-07-2006, 03:31 PM
Isn't going to draw a lot more game related traffic to the C and C++ boards?This may be a translation issue, but where I'm from, and I think where Bubba is from the slash means "One the other or both". You seem to think "Game/Graphics" means "Game Graphics", it doesn't. It means "Game and/or Graphics". A major difference.

So to say "Why not Game/Logic or Game/Design" is silly because any stand-alone logic or design questions belong in the main programming forums. You see?

Mario F.
09-07-2006, 03:42 PM
It's not a translation issue. "Where I am from" also works as you say. But not for everything. It's not an exact usage both "where I am from" and "where you are from". Many forums... actually many listings offer subdivisions where the slash character is used to group. So, no. It's not silly.

It's an unecessary complication. "And" is far more obvious.

As a side note I only added it because it came as a second thought. My real opinion in this matter is we don't need to change the forum name.

SlyMaelstrom
09-07-2006, 03:58 PM
I still don't see your logic in not changing it. Other than someone misunderstanding "Game/Graphics" to mean "Game Graphics", I can only see it getting more appropriate attention. Ideally, I think the "Game/Graphics Forum" should encompass Game questions, Graphics questions, and Game graphics questions (redundant of the first two listed). Now, as you suggested, Game logic, game design... they all fall under Game questions. That's my opinion, anyway.

kermi3
09-07-2006, 05:59 PM
Rather than changing the name at this time, we've updated the forum description as a midway step. Thoughts?

SlyMaelstrom
09-07-2006, 06:11 PM
Significantly better, however, we'll have to see how much attention it grabs.

I suspect many new uses look at those sub-descriptions upon joining.

Mario F.
09-07-2006, 06:56 PM
> I still don't see your logic in not changing it.

It's to do with the fact that this isn't really a problem. People are indeed posting in the game forum as they are supposed to. Many other more important (in my opinion, of course) issues have not been dealt with. Like the C# forum. I reckon those should indeed be debated. Not some forum where things are happening as they are meant to.

However, I can understand when you tell me it will both better describe the current forum usage, and it will help draw non-game specific graphics questions to a forum that has been essentially about graphics. But on that case I strongly object against the use of the slash for the reasons I already stated.

VirtualAce
09-07-2006, 11:48 PM
Rather than changing the name at this time, we've updated the forum description as a midway step. Thoughts?

Sounds good kermi. I'm willing to wait and see if that works better for the board. Just trying to make the mods job easier by directing graphics questions where they belong. I probably would not be opposed to multimedia board or something since games pretty much encompass about every aspect of that type of programming.

But for now we wait and see. Thanks for at least considering it kermi.

Salem
09-08-2006, 12:21 AM
Perhaps some tweaks to the rest of the descriptions as well?