PDA

View Full Version : Steve Irwin - Crocodile Hunter dies.

System_159
09-04-2006, 09:11 AM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14663786/?GT1=8506

CAIRNS, Australia - Steve Irwin, the hugely popular Australian television personality and conservationist known as the “Crocodile Hunter,” was killed Monday by a stingray while filming off the Great Barrier Reef. He was 44

Wow, just... wow. I think everybody on the planet knew this guy. And we all thought he was crazy, but I never imagined him dying doing that crazy stuff.
Bet he gets reincarnated as a croc now...

twomers
09-04-2006, 09:31 AM
That's a shame. I'm in shock!

anonytmouse
09-04-2006, 09:35 AM
Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Irwin) has the exact details. :(

Interesting article on Stingray 'attacks' (http://www.nswseakayaker.asn.au/mag/47/stingrays.html) if anyone is interested.

laserlight
09-04-2006, 09:42 AM
I find it ironic that the very documentary that he was filming when the accident took place was to be called Ocean's Deadliest. I think that now whenever I eat stringray, I will remember him, and that even experts are not immune to the vagaries of nature.

twomers
09-04-2006, 09:54 AM
What do they taste like? Stingrays I mean.

I'm knida confused, anonytmouse, how he exploded into a milion pieces. That an effect of stingrays?? Lotsa censorship!

anonytmouse
09-04-2006, 10:03 AM
I'm knida confused, anonytmouse, how he exploded into a milion pieces. That an effect of stingrays??

I've never known Wikipedia to be inaccurate.

twomers
09-04-2006, 10:22 AM
That's gone from it now though ... I checked. Musta been someone making a bad joke.

>> Chicken.
:) So, how closely are you watching me?

Apparently it's a 'current event' so ''Information may change rapidly as the event progresses."

Cheeze-It
09-04-2006, 11:11 AM
The video will be on the internet within hours, I'm sure.

SlyMaelstrom
09-04-2006, 11:32 AM
The video will be on the internet within hours, I'm sure.I doubt it. I don't think there were any paparazzi down there with him. It's a matter of whether or not the studio plans on releasing it, I don't think they'll do that within a few hours, if they do it at all.

Magos
09-04-2006, 01:10 PM
Having watched a few of his documentaries I'm not suprised. He's practically cuddling and wrestling with them gators and other critters. I even recall him falling into a pool once (got up alive though).

Cheeze-It
09-04-2006, 01:16 PM
This was a freak accident. The stringray flexed and his chest
was there.

twomers
09-04-2006, 01:18 PM
The news just there said that this was the 3rd incident where a sting ray has killed someone. Kinda ironic, eh? Having jumped Crocks, sharks, having kissed tigers etc, defensive creature killed him.

Cheeze-It
09-04-2006, 02:49 PM
He got stabbed in the heart by a stingray barb

bumfluff
09-04-2006, 02:51 PM
That's gone from it now though ... I checked. Musta been someone making a bad joke.

>> Chicken.
So, how closely are you watching me?

Apparently it's a 'current event' so ''Information may change rapidly as the event progresses."

Why are you hiding text in your posts Twomers?

twomers
09-04-2006, 02:53 PM
It's Mr. twomers to you! And it's just something I like to do a lot!! Seen my sig?

Cheeze-It
09-04-2006, 05:00 PM
“It’s likely that he possibly died instantly when the barb hit him, and I don’t think that he felt any pain. He died doing what he loved best.” Peter West, a boatowner who has seen the film, said: “The footage shows him swimming in the water, the ray stopped and turned and that was it. There was no blood in the water, it was not that obvious . . . something happened with this animal that made it rear and he was at the wrong position at the wrong time and if it hit him anywhere else we would not be talking about a fatality.”

BS he didn't feel pain. It was a giant stringray barb straight into
his chest. I also have a hard time believing "died instantly." I
think he knew what had happened and knew what it meant.

joeprogrammer
09-04-2006, 05:16 PM
You have to be ready to die if you're going to be doing crazy stuff like that...I call it "accidental suicide"

And twomers isn't the only one that hides text in his post!

twomers
09-04-2006, 05:25 PM
Accidental suicide is rather harsh, Joe! Congrads on 400 posts, btw

And ethic, I'm not a doctor, but I would assume that getting punctured in the heart would bleed somewhat.

joeprogrammer
09-04-2006, 05:34 PM
Accidental suicide is rather harsh, Joe!
That's why I made it invisible. ;)
>>Congrads on 400 posts, btw
Thank you!

twomers
09-04-2006, 05:37 PM
I'm going to be honest, I like the man. I admired his goal of animal welfare promotion and whatnot, but he was a tad too eccentric, IMO. I don't think the Aussies were mad about him, but everyone else seemed to like him!Would you believe I broke 800 today?

Fordy
09-05-2006, 01:19 PM
You had to like the guy...

What a shame

BobMcGee123
09-05-2006, 02:00 PM
This is the same guy that fed a croc. with his kid in his left arm. Maybe his death will show just how dangerous doing ........ like that around wild animals really is. Yes, I know he didn't get killed by a croc., but it could have just as easily been him plus his kid. And to top it off, you get young impressionable retarded kids that watch him playing with the most dangerous animals in the world, then think it's a good idea to go masturbate a bear or something.

Note to self: leave wild animals alone.

Sentral
09-05-2006, 02:17 PM
This is the same guy that fed a croc. with his kid in his left arm. Maybe his death will show just how dangerous doing ........ like that around wild animals really is. Yes, I know he didn't get killed by a croc., but it could have just as easily been him plus his kid. And to top it off, you get young impressionable retarded kids that watch him playing with the most dangerous animals in the world, then think it's a good idea to go masturbate a bear or something.

Note to self: leave wild animals alone.

:D Kinda like that guy who got killed by a bear, for that movie! If someone else gets killed by a wild animal he/she must be the dumbest person in the world! Wild animals are t3h lame cuz dey be all dumb and s***

Govtcheez
09-05-2006, 02:31 PM
> Kinda like that guy who got killed by a bear, for that movie!

That guy was a goddamn tool. Irwin was a professional that got it in a freak accident. People swin with rays all the time with no problems.

Sentral
09-05-2006, 02:34 PM
I propose we eat stingray on the anniversary of his death! I will enjoy eating it too! :)

twomers
09-05-2006, 03:34 PM
I've never had one, Sentral, but it sounds like a good plan. It'll be the first of many CBoard annual traditions. Or n of them. I don't know.

Mario F.
09-05-2006, 03:50 PM
I wasn't a fan. There where too many things in him I didn't like. The episode with his baby and the other one with the penguins and whales didn't help. I think he epitomized the Discovery generation. 80% sensationalism, 20% science, All in the name of the viewers who are thought to be dumb and the only way to feed them science is to also entertain them. Because science... is not entertaining (or so TV stations believe).

He is remembered as bringing the wild to the common person. But Steve Irwin "wild" was "oooh! He's a big fella, mate!". And Steve Irwin science was "one bite from this one and I would die in 15 minutes".

However there is no denying that outside the TV cameras and he's reality-show-meet-dangerous-animals-seasoned-with-strong-aussie-accent, Steve Irwin did a lot better. Not only his zoo, but also some of his stances worldwide for the preservation of dangerous and not so dangerous species. For that, I will definitely miss him.

joeprogrammer
09-05-2006, 04:10 PM
Did anyone watch the taped interview with Larry King that was played back on CNN last night? I found him to be quite obnoxious the way he talked.

kermi3
09-05-2006, 04:44 PM
I like him...the baby was a bit much, but I'll give him the professional benifit of the doubt. He was cleared of the whale and penguin accquisations. It's sad and a loss for enviromentalism.

twomers
09-05-2006, 05:01 PM
>> the baby was a bit much
a BIT!!! Mirrors the episode of Michael Jackson with his baby over the balcony! That croc could have eaten him in one mouthful!!

What was the Whale and Penguin thing?

kermi3
09-05-2006, 05:06 PM
I fault MJ more than I do Irwin...As stupid as it seems to the rest of us, crocs are what he did for a living. If he felt it was safe, I'll give him the benifit of the doubt. MJ is just crazy.

twomers
09-05-2006, 05:11 PM
Haha, MJ just makes him sound like a girl ...

Even though they were "what he did for a living", animals are rather unpredictable, as he unfortunately found out first hand