PDA

View Full Version : Too far, MPA!

Cheeze-It
08-20-2006, 10:28 AM
I posted this over at ES, but I'm also going to do so here
because I'm angry, man. So g'damn angry. Anybody that plays
guitar should be. Plus, I was told by these folks:

http://ultimate-guitar.com/news/general_music_news/ultimate-guitarcom_the_last_stand.html

to spread the word. Which I'm doing. Yeah, this is technically
"spam', but I don't care! Eat it up! EAT THE SPAM! Hehe. Get it?
See, SPAM stands for, "Specially Prepared Assorted Meats" and
usually comes in a blue tin can. It can also mean, like, internet
things. When I said, "eat it," yeah, that was a pun of some sort
or something.

Anyway, Olga.net was shut down not too long ago. I just found
out because I rarely visit them anymore (too many inaccurate or
incomplete tabs), but, man. Jeez. It's so flippin' dumb. Tabs. Sites
are being shut down that provide guitar tablature. It makes no
freakin' sense! NONE AT ALL! :mad: I knew they were *trying* to
do this last year, but I didn't think anything would ever come of
it. I wish Olga or some other site would actually fight them and take
it all the way to the SUPREME COURT OF THE WORLD!

I'm so mad.

Cheeze-It
08-20-2006, 10:31 AM
So I guess I was wrong about SPAM. Apparently it means,
"SPiced hAM."

I don't know where I got "Specially Prepared Assorted Meats,"
but I like it better.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spam_%28food%29

twomers
08-20-2006, 01:01 PM
There was another one shut down before ... it was one of the MIDI ones ... I can't remember what it was called, but I don't care - I downloaded 36k tabs from somewhere so that should keep me going for a while (even though I rarely use tabs any more, meh). Besides, it's good practise to learn songs yourself!

psychopath
08-20-2006, 02:50 PM
Ethic, now you've gone and made me hungry with all your talk of ham and assorted meats. :mad:

GanglyLamb
08-20-2006, 05:00 PM
There was another one shut down before ... it was one of the MIDI ones ... I can't remember what it was called, but I don't care - I downloaded 36k tabs from somewhere so that should keep me going for a while (even though I rarely use tabs any more, meh). Besides, it's good practise to learn songs yourself!

powertabs.net was shutdown for a while, although its back up and running, the only change is that you have to sign up for an account before you can download any tablatures... but still ...

And o yeah, lots of the tabs that were there before are missing (or maybe its just my imagination ).

Anyhow I like tablatures since at a glance one can easily look how something is exactly being played, that is if they are 100% correct ( which most of the time isnt the case ....) .
But still I like to be able to download them , and MPA shouldn't be bothered by tablatures ( although I can understand their point of view ).

cboard_member
08-21-2006, 01:43 AM
I've always thought it was "Specially Prepared American Meat" or something. Stupid misleading childhood.

novacain
08-21-2006, 02:03 AM
(ot but...)

I just got a new toy...

A Yamaha SG100S (Silent guitar).

http://www.yamaha.com.au/products/musicalinstruments/guitars/silent/steel.asp

[PS: Thats not a white guitar, it only has a steel frame which can be removed]

My expensive hand made Maton did not make it after a trip to Thailand (split across the top seams due to the humidity changes).

So I have a easily transportable guitar that runs of a 9 volt and out thru headphones.

I can have an MP3 player as input and output to any radio instead of the headphones (via an adaptor for my MP3 player).

twomers
08-21-2006, 10:09 AM
>> My expensive hand made Maton did not make it after a trip to Thailand
I'm sorry to hear that! If there's anything I can do ...

What's the sound like on it? I suppose one gets the same (unamplified) sound as if they were playing an unplugged electric guitar. Are they the tone and volume twiddley things on the top there?

Rouss
08-21-2006, 02:10 PM
I always thought it was Something Posing As Meat... meh

novacain
08-21-2006, 06:52 PM
What's the sound like on it? I suppose one gets the same (unamplified) sound as if they were playing an unplugged electric guitar. Are they the tone and volume twiddley things on the top there?

Excellent crisp sound.

About the same volume as an unplugged electric and a similar action (much lighter than an accoustic).
It has 2 levels of reverb as well as bass, treble and volume on the top (bit hard to reach while playing).
There is an input volume so you can adjust the level of your MP3 player so you can play over the top of it.

A bit wierd to get used to as there is very little to hold on to.....

twomers
08-22-2006, 12:41 PM
Speaking of spam, my site's guestbook got spammed today! I feel privilaged!

twomers
08-22-2006, 01:08 PM
DAMN THEM!!!!!!!! :: http://twomers.aoeex.com/ Why do they pry at my site?? Why?? Anyone know any good spam blockers? I need source! It's urgent

EDIT :: I think I'll have to resort to image verification :( I hate myself for it