PDA

View Full Version : Making the move

cboard_member
07-18-2006, 03:44 AM
To Linux.

My HDD is in dire need of a clean. Everything is so untidy it's unbelievable and a pain in the butt to work with. Plus I'm rapidly running out of space on my Windows partition.

The other is a ~50 GB Xubuntu Linux that I can't get rid of because of various reasons. If I erase the partitions and use them under Windows then GRUB dies and I can't reinstall the Windows bootloader since I don't have an install dis...

Hmm. Actually I just had a thought. If I create boot floppies for Windows, do they have fixmbr and diskpart on them?

That's all I need to get my space back from ol' Lin-Lins.

Watch this space - I'll be back in about an hour (or longer if I do something wrong).

cboard_member
07-18-2006, 03:58 AM
Nope, they don't. Darn.

Anyway as I was saying. I'm totally willing to do it, but there are a few things I need to clear up first. I've got an MP3 player (a Creative Zen Nano Plus) and would really like to be able change the music I've got on it right now. Could someone help me with this? (I'm going to google it later but figured there are quite a few Linux users here, so what the hell).

Note to self: Check C-Media's site for Linux sound drivers for your card!!

I won't be able to play three quaters of my games, but as long as I've got UT2004, I'm happy. I'm pretty sure Quake 2 and Doom 3 are ported too, right? (Oh, what about GTA: SA?)

Erm, I think that's it. I get everything I need (compiler, assembler, favvy games, browser, GIMP, moozick).

No doubt I'll be back here laters since I'm bound to have forgotten something.

(Oh, I can't afford another XP CD).

Cheeze-It
07-18-2006, 04:02 AM
I totally thought this thread was going to be about something
awesome. Like you making the move on a woman or something.
But noooo. It's about Linux. Again. Another friggin' Linux thread!

You're all boring. Seriously. Why don't you people ever talk
about interesting stuff? It's cool that you're all geeks and
whatnot, but c'mon. Even the nerdiest dweeb of all the geeks on
Earth can't possibly find cProg General entertaining.

General is supposed to be about movies and video games. Or
maybe some of you are trying to cope with relationship issues.
Those types of threads should also be here. God, I would be
absolutely thrilled to read about your love lives. Deatails, plz.
Pictures?

Serious. 14 of the non-stickied threads on General right now
are about computers. Why the hell doesn't anybody post their
suicide notes here anymore? Or talk about Jesus????

ehtpiaeht385y086@i45h;o214

From this point on this thread is about Superman Returns! :mad:
I saw that in the theater today and it ruled. I love superman. He
sorta reminds me of myself. I mean, people look at me as all sensitive
and fragile-like; but underneath all that, I'm a man of steel. A
superhero!

T.T

Welshy
07-18-2006, 06:22 AM
lol, thought this was going to be about women also, but as it's about linux i have nothing to contribute :P

divineleft
07-18-2006, 06:24 AM
From this point on this thread is about Superman Returns!
http://youtube.com/watch?v=vgYhLIThTvk&search=kevin%20smith%20superman

Funniest story I have ever heard.

pianorain
07-18-2006, 07:05 AM
From this point on this thread is about Superman Returns!Sure. This (http://www.yirmumah.net/archives.php?date=20060519) almost exactly sums up what I thought of the movie poster. That guy must have been reading my mind.

Or talk about Jesus????What about a Superman/Jesus combo (http://www.yirmumah.net/archives.php?date=20060522)?

[edit] Now if we could only find a sympathetic mod that would change the title of this derailed thread.

Cheeze-It
07-18-2006, 07:17 AM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=vgYhLIThTvk&search=kevin%20smith%20superman

Funniest story I have ever heard.

Hehe.

Sure. This almost exactly sums up what I thought of the movie poster. That guy must have been reading my mind.

Dude, seriously. You better not be mocking Superman. The
movie kicked ass. Right on. It is, by far, the best super hero
movie ever released. Better than the X-Men movies (I just
saw X2 a couple weeks ago. Hated it), better than Fantastic
Four (duh). It's just great.

Batman Begins was awesome, but he's not a super hero.

pianorain
07-18-2006, 07:22 AM
Dude, seriously. You better not be mocking Superman. The
movie kicked ass. Right on. It is, by far, the best super hero
movie ever released. Better than the X-Men movies (I just
saw X2 a couple weeks ago. Hated it), better than Fantastic
Four (duh). It's just great.

Batman Begins was awesome, but he's not a super hero.I'll admit that I haven't seen Superman. I've never been a big Superman fan for one simple reason. Superman's ultimate enemy is a rock. That's pretty weak.

Not to derail the derail, but I'm hoping for some fireworks on a neighboring thread. You know it's going to be good when it starts out with...
Well cup cake, I didn't mean to offend you, but I like to see you get angry, just don't ask me why.

Wraithan
07-18-2006, 07:24 AM
Yeah, that was rather demining...

cboard_member
07-18-2006, 08:38 AM
We all know I haven't got a love life.
I still haven't seen that movie.

JaWiB
07-18-2006, 11:29 AM
Why the hell doesn't anybody post their
suicide notes here anymore?
I believe something was actually added to the forum guidelines about that.

whiteflags
07-18-2006, 11:45 AM
...So superman fries eggs with his lazer eyes. I don't even remember where I saw that, it was probably one of the Superman movies. It's just as likely that I'm wrong as usual and it was on an old television show. I'm probably the only person who misses Superman on TV. He's so awesome.

I have a friend who thinks that Captain America is better than Superman, and he's really wrong about that. Superman had more girls, movie deals, star roles and what not than Captain America will ever have. "[Captain America] was popular during World War II; America needed a hero, and he embodied the spirit..." Eventually I stopped listening to him, because all the Captain America fans became Superman fans eventually except him.

pianorain
07-18-2006, 11:54 AM
Eventually I stopped listening to him, because all the Captain America fans became Superman fans eventually except him.This shows an amount of wisdom worthy of respect on your part.

Captain America - nifty shield = strange guy running around in pajamas.

Govtcheez
07-18-2006, 12:05 PM
> Captain America - nifty shield = strange guy running around in pajamas.

Maybe, but he's running around in pajamas for AMERICA. Maybe you love communism, but it's not for me.

Commie.

Mario F.
07-18-2006, 12:57 PM
Daredevil!

Everyone else's a wuss................................. although on that bloody movie daredevil looked like a wuss :(

The comics. That was the real deal. Forget the movies.

twomers
07-18-2006, 01:07 PM
>> Batman Begins was awesome, but he's not a super hero.

He's just about the only human one who didn't mutate really though, isn't it?

Govtcheez
07-18-2006, 01:11 PM
He's just about the only human one who didn't mutate really though, isn't it?
He's probably the best known one, but there are other comic characters that are just normal humans, like the Punisher.

VirtualAce
07-18-2006, 01:18 PM
Yeah kermi3 ruined all the suicide letters on GD, just in-case anyone took our horrible advice to heart and actually did the deed. None of us could figure out why suicidal peeps always insisted on posting on a geek board to tell of their troubles. But then again, none of us still understands why we get peeps who insist on posting about every language known to man, except C/C++ - on a C/C++ board.

But it's all for the better. I, for one, enjoy the tidied up GD board.

twomers
07-18-2006, 01:26 PM
>> Yeah kermi3 ruined all the suicide letters on GD
How'd kermi3 manage that?? And have we gotten any of them?

A quick search revealed 196 suicidal hits in cboard. (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=site%3Acboard.cprogramming.com+suicidal&btnG=Google+Search)

Ah, Number 15 (http://cboard.cprogramming.com/announcement.php?f=10&a=51)

CornedBee
07-18-2006, 01:39 PM
The only geek I know who killed himself didn't post any message to his favourite board ...

Wraithan
07-18-2006, 02:12 PM
Yeah kermi3 ruined all the suicide letters on GD, just in-case anyone took our horrible advice to heart and actually did the deed. None of us could figure out why suicidal peeps always insisted on posting on a geek board to tell of their troubles. But then again, none of us still understands why we get peeps who insist on posting about every language known to man, except C/C++ - on a C/C++ board.

But it's all for the better. I, for one, enjoy the tidied up GD board.

So Bubba, wanna help me with some VB...?

I feel dirty =/

VirtualAce
07-18-2006, 11:09 PM
Well it's a good thing that kermi suggested because we weren't really giving 'good' advice. Most of the time it was in the line of....stop annoying us with it and go do it or shutup. And even though that's how we cranky old cboarders are, it's probably not the best thing to say when someone is not firing on all cylinders.

Mario F.
07-19-2006, 06:14 AM
Most of the time it was in the line of....stop annoying us with it and go do it or shutup. And even though that's how we cranky old cboarders are, it's probably not the best thing to say when someone is not firing on all cylinders.

It's not the good thing to say under most circumstances I guess. Not on a board that is supposed to help everyone, from the newcommer to the seasoned programmer.