PDA

View Full Version : I'm outta here

sean
07-09-2006, 01:59 PM
It's been fun. As of Thursday I'll be expected to live the mission rules - which in my case is email through the church-provided service for family only. davidp should be back any day now, but on Friday morning I'm driving to Utah, attending a small family reunion, and then on Wednesday I'll be reporting to the missionary training center to learn Spanish and take some classes on teaching the gospel. I'll be there 6-8 weeks before heading to Long Island and Staten Island for 2 years.

Thantos
07-09-2006, 02:06 PM
Make sure you let us know the address so some of the cboards can come harrass you, err I mean say hi :P

SMurf
07-09-2006, 02:07 PM
Learning Spanish to what, 10th grade level? I can understand going the whole hog if you were on a mission to Spain... but oddly enough you're still in the US there. :confused:

twomers
07-09-2006, 02:45 PM
Good luck!

sean
07-09-2006, 03:10 PM
I can understand going the whole hog if you were on a mission to Spain... but oddly enough you're still in the US there.

It's my understanding that when missionaries are given state-side Spanish-speaking assignments, they only speak Spanish like 10% of the time, if that. I get a lot of questions about why we have foreign language missionaries in the US, and politically I'd agree with them, but from a religious stand-point, it's really just so people can hear the lessons how they're most comfortable.

edit: I already speak Spanish fairly fluently when speaking to Mexicans, because they speak very slowly and clearly, but it's my understanding that the Puerto Rican dialect is very quick and abbreviated. I hear Cuban and Dominican isn't that difficult though.

Cheeze-It
07-09-2006, 06:29 PM
You're going to come back from your mission all weird.
EVERYBODY does. >.<