PDA

View Full Version : Nostalgy

Pages : [1] 2

Mario F.
06-22-2006, 10:07 AM
... it attacks me sometimes.

I miss my first ever PC. An 8086 processor, Amstrad PC 1512. Mine came with a 20MB I couldn't ever fill, instead of the usual 2 5.25'' floopy drives (yes. it was normal to sell computers back then without an hardrive). A CGA graphics display and 512 Kb of RAM. DOS 3.2 and no windows. Windows 1.0 had only been released the year before. It shipped with Gem. I had so much fun with it. Here I learned DBase programming, explored different DOS versions to exhaustion and many other things that made me fall in love with computers and programming ever since.

I miss MSDOS 5.0. Perhaps the best OS ever produced by Microsoft. I had heaps of fun with QBASIC. I used to buy every PCPlus and PCPro magazines and drool with their floppy disks full of DOS tools and toys. Back in the days when you could cream a 1.4Mb floppy disk with +20 programs. I do miss windows 3.11 too, which I had istalled on top of DOS 5.0. But I miss this MSDOS version the most. I always liked prompts more.

I miss Lemmings. I miss the craze. they were cute, hippy-like, made fun noises, and they reduced the world's GDP.

I miss my CitizenSwift 240x printer. I could print A3 sheets in landscape. a 24 pin dot matrix printer. It lasted me for years! It had RAM cartridges. Can't remember what mine was. It was a cool, fast, silent printer.

I miss Baldur's Gate. I really do. I miss a game like that. And I miss Doom and I especially miss the Eye of the Beholder trilogy. These 5 games threw me apart. But also the Pool of Radiance RPGs types. Boy! I still play them under MSDOS... but I miss how I used to feel back then.

And I miss my first job ever. In Alcatel-Portugal making backups of the mainframe IBM ES9000 and learning COBOL. I don't miss COBOL, but I miss the mainframe. And I miss when an year later the first IBM AS400 arrived. 3 in all. I loved them as much as I liked to create scripts for a single VAX/VMS minicomputer they had there.

And I miss... the short lived craze of the NeXT Pizza and Cube. And the amazing UI that NeXT/STEP was. I actually put my hands on a few at my university.

indigo0086
06-22-2006, 10:12 AM
I miss that safari paint program that was on the old apple IIs. I also miss where in the world is Carmen San-Diego. Also the game with the big gorilla that you throw banana bombs at.

But I'm lying, I don't really miss them. Good riddance.

whiteflags
06-22-2006, 10:36 AM
Back when men where men and Windows 3.11 was common, I had The Coolest Game in the Universe, and I miss it a lot. It was called Megarace. It remains the only racing game I really liked and was moderately good at.
Gameplay was interesting:
There were only 14 tracks in Megarace, but with the exception of the first one, they weren't very normal. One stage I really liked was underwater and you drove through these clear pipes.
To win Megarace, you had two ways to come in first. Beat the other cars or blow them up with missiles!
The prizes were also the best part. You win this great race and all you win is "a cozy, romantic dinner BY YOURSELF," or a broken Rolex, zebra seat covers, maybe some other stuff too.

Well, the way I describe it, it sounds lame I guess but it seems to be a cult classic. I still talk about it today to some people and nobody remembers. :confused:

Wraithan
06-22-2006, 02:55 PM
Old Win 3.1 game that was one of my favorites was "Stars!" I forget who made it, and I haven't been able to find it since, it was a strategy game... I thought it was the ........ when I was like 10.

Govtcheez
06-22-2006, 03:19 PM
> I especially miss the Eye of the Beholder trilogy.

I had the first two of these. They were awesome.

Magos
06-22-2006, 03:50 PM
I recall a very old skiing game. If you kept skiing after passing the finish line you'd eventually be eaten by a troll (!). Can't remember the name though.

EDIT: It's Ski Free (http://ski.ihoc.net/)

axon
06-22-2006, 03:59 PM
I recall a very old skiing game. If you kept skiing after passing the finish line you'd eventually be eaten by a troll (!). Can't remember the name though.

haha, I rememebr that as well - was it called "free ski" ? or was free ski one of three different courses you chose going down :dunno:

Decrypt
06-22-2006, 04:16 PM
Ski Free was awesome! I have it on a hand-me-down laptop I've got around here somewhere...I think it was an abominable snowman that ate you.

I miss the first book on programming I ever read. I have no idea what it was called, it was a little tan hardcover with blue foil writing. It was full of Apple BASIC programs with little descriptions. I checked it out of the elementary school library, and entered them into my mom's Apple IIc+. I had no idea what the lines meant at the time, so debugging was impossible. I think I only got one of them to work. :( :sniff: :sniff: I wonder what happened to that old computer...

SlyMaelstrom
06-22-2006, 05:32 PM
Geez... even I remember that Skiing game. Now I feel old. :(

psychopath
06-22-2006, 09:47 PM
I think Ski Free was on my first computer I ever had. Pentium 100Mhz, 32MB RAM, 1GB HDD, 1MB VGA card.

Yeah, I guess i'm not as old school as the rest of you guys. I mean, really; whats this "IBM" you speak of? ;p

VirtualAce
06-22-2006, 11:30 PM
Megarace was cool. Good graphics for it's time and great speed as well. Audio was a bit wanting, but for the most part a great game.

I miss things like dynamic campaigns in games, replayability, gameplay depth, etc, etc. Older games, though so much simpler, still seem to be so much fun. Perhaps it's because they couldn't fool you into buying it by just using eye candy and had to really make a game worth playing.

axon
06-23-2006, 12:22 AM
yah, I remember megarace as well - it came with my first pentium 66mghz - it was a packard bell with win 3.11 for workgroups :)

indigo0086
06-23-2006, 06:13 AM
is that the same skiing game where the big dog came to you and poured liquor in your mouth if you fell down too many times.

Also who remembers that game where you start off in a circus and then end up in the world of those freaky haired trolls.

CornedBee
06-23-2006, 09:31 AM
Ah, Ski Free. I once found a trick to make you go faster, fast enough to escape even the snowman. Unless you made a mistake. The best I managed was escaping it for about 8 seconds - then a second and a third came and caught me :(

Salgat
06-23-2006, 11:49 AM
http://ski.ihoc.net/

Classic :)

sean
06-24-2006, 09:18 AM
Inner Space, CalGames, Space Quest/Police Quest/King's Quest

Hunter2
06-29-2006, 12:52 PM
I have to say, Challenge of the Ancient Empires (http://www.abandonia.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=3198) was THE best game I've EVER played.

**EDIT:
Anyone ever play One Must Fall (http://www.dosgamesarchive.com/download/game/66)? Great game...
There's supposed to be a new one (http://www.omf.com/) somewhere, which looks *really* cool too...

**EDIT2:
Ooh ooh, and Excelsior (http://www.sharewarejunkies.com/8ef3/excelsio.htm).. loved that game, so simple yet so detailed and so addictive..

**EDIT3:
And can't forget Command Keen (http://www.dosgamesonline.com/index/game/Commander%20Keen%204/96/)!

dpro
06-29-2006, 01:13 PM
Wow One Must Fall, that takes me back, I loved that game too. Simple and a bit silly, but man was it fun. It does look like it is coming out, at some point lol, hopefully soon.

Hunter2
06-29-2006, 01:14 PM
Actually, the site says it's out already.. but the link for it is broken. Apparently it sells/sold in EB?

EDIT: A look on the forums shows that it's dead already. *sigh*, maybe I can find a copy elsewhere...

dpro
06-29-2006, 02:01 PM
Wow that sucks, oh well, it may surface some day again.

Yes commander keen was a good old one, addictive, yet silly at the same time.

Govtcheez
06-29-2006, 02:21 PM
I never got how everyone remembers OMF 2097 but no one remembers the original.

joeprogrammer
06-29-2006, 02:24 PM
miss the first book on programming I ever read. I have no idea what it was called, it was a little tan hardcover with blue foil writing. It was full of Apple BASIC programs with little descriptions. I checked it out of the elementary school library, and entered them into my mom's Apple IIc+. I had no idea what the lines meant at the time, so debugging was impossible. I think I only got one of them to work. :sniff: :sniff: I wonder what happened to that old computer...
I too, enjoyed programming on the Apple II. In fact, I had an Apple IIc and a Apple IIgs. But they both slowly broke down, and I had to give them away....... And I remember that book! It was so awesome. I read it when I was about 8 years old, and that began my programming craze.......

twomers
06-29-2006, 02:24 PM
I miss the origional Prince of Persia!

dpro
06-29-2006, 02:29 PM
I never got how everyone remembers OMF 2097 but no one remembers the original.

Because that was the only one I could find. Sadly, being a little kid and having no money made it hard to find any more than that. Also not having any internet access made it harder for quite some time to find out anything more.

Hunter2
06-29-2006, 04:33 PM
Because that was the only one I could find. Sadly, being a little kid and having no money made it hard to find any more than that. Also not having any internet access made it harder for quite some time to find out anything more.Echo. Actually, the only reason I heard of OMF 2097 was because it came on a CD of around 50-100 shareware games, none of which was the original.

Ah yes, and let us not forget The Incredible Machine (2) (http://www.vintage-sierra.com/puzzle/tim2.html). Hours of inventive fun :D

Mario F.
06-29-2006, 05:05 PM
I miss the origional Prince of Persia!

Hehe. Brings back memories doesn't it?

Glorious... graphics! :)
That's how we used to look at it back then. And the sprites movement was nothing short of revolutionary. What a great game! Could never finish it though.

Never was much into action games. Always liked RPG, turn-based strategy and war games, more. Ancient Art of War started me on it as the early Pool of Radiance for RPGs.

novacain
07-04-2006, 11:54 PM
Elite

Wolfenstein

Pool of Radiance. (This game was huge at about 2Mb.)

MechWarrior (The very first one in 16 colours)

But lets not go back to the days of boot disks and floppie disk changes mid game.

Cheeze-It
07-05-2006, 06:49 AM
PC games didn't get good 'til Tribes and AoE.
Sure, there were a few exceptions (Quake, Doom),
but they generally sucked.

The real cool games were on consoles. Oh yeah.

Mario F.
07-05-2006, 07:06 AM
Of course you never played Load Runner, Diablo, Metroid, Contra, Sim City, Theme Park, Neuromancer, X-Com: Ufo Defense, Bionic Command.. etc, etc, etc... All included in many lists of the best games of all times.

Just to name a few. The list gets long.

Govtcheez
07-05-2006, 07:21 AM
> Bionic Command.

Bionic Commando was NES only, wasn't it?

Cheeze-It
07-05-2006, 07:22 AM
Of course you never played Load Runner, Diablo, Metroid, Contra, Sim City, Theme Park, Neuromancer, X-Com: Ufo Defense, Bionic Command.. etc, etc, etc... All included in many lists of the best games of all times.

Just to name a few. The list gets long.

Diablo is the worst game ever invented!

Mario F.
07-05-2006, 07:23 AM
Nah. It was released for the PC sometime around late 80s

Cheeze-It
07-05-2006, 08:21 AM
Nah. It was released for the PC sometime around late 80s

Mid 90s. And yeah, it was horrible. Warcraft III was
the first Blizzard game that was actually good, and
that's only because I bought the collector's edition
and didn't want to feel like I wasted my money.

twomers
07-05-2006, 11:30 AM
>> Could never finish it though.

(the origional Prince of Persia, that is), Me neither. But my dad somehow got a program, or wrote a program (I don't konw), which let you choose which level you wanted to start on. Sounds great, eh? But it messed up our computer ... and after that it was struck by lightning oddly enough, so I didn't use the cheat again. Bad omens and whatnot.

I downloaded it the other week/month, runs funny on my lappy for some reason. The keys aren't as ... reflexive as they should be. As in, if I press the right key, and keep it down, then take it off, Mr. Prince stays running for the next three or four seconds. I've gotta find a way to fix that.

Mario F.
07-05-2006, 11:39 AM
Mid 90s.

I was not replying to you, but to Govtcheez.

As for your opinions... [blank space here]

CornedBee
07-06-2006, 07:24 AM
Starcraft is, to this day, the best RTS ever written. IMNSHO of course.

Cheeze-It
07-06-2006, 08:09 AM
Starcraft is a piece of garbage. That retard of a
game stole all my Age of Empires friends. I had
NOBODY to play with 'cause ever noob out there
was playing Starcraft.

Mario F.
07-06-2006, 08:39 AM
yes. life sukz. poor you

dpro
07-06-2006, 01:06 PM
Starcraft is, to this day, the best RTS ever written. IMNSHO of course.

Granted, I wish there had been a few more balance tweaks. But by and large I agree with you there. Aside from C&C, (back when it had a better quality to it), it was one of the major ones out there. Overall I enjoyed SC more than C&C.

lilhawk2892
07-06-2006, 01:47 PM
nostalgy hits us all hard its just not easy to get over the past last week i woulda gave anything to have all my old pokemon games back you know live in the past...but we just have to accept the future:(

Govtcheez
07-06-2006, 01:59 PM
> i woulda gave anything to have all my old pokemon games back you know live in the past...but we just have to accept the future

Now I know what to get tattooed across my chest

dpro
07-06-2006, 02:01 PM
> i woulda gave anything to have all my old pokemon games back you know live in the past...but we just have to accept the future

Now I know what to get tattooed across my chest

You wanna get Pokemon tatooed on your chest? :)

Cheeze-It
07-06-2006, 03:14 PM
yes. life sukz. poor you

Oh my god. FINALLY somebody understands.

axon
07-06-2006, 08:35 PM
lol, Mario really doesn't know Ethic - this could get interesting. Hey mario, check out
entropysink.com to meet the REAL ethic.

novacain
07-06-2006, 08:54 PM
Aww.....
Axon you spoil all the fun...

<back to the task at hand>

What was that you said about Mario's mom Ethic?

axon
07-06-2006, 09:08 PM
Aww.....
Axon you spoil all the fun...

<back to the task at hand>

What was that you said about Mario's mom Ethic?

hehe, you're more then welcome to edit my post ;)

Mario F.
07-07-2006, 04:12 AM
> You don't know ethic

Irony is more effective when you allow others to know you are using it.

When he, and those very few who know him, are the only ones aware he is being ironic, then you are in fact having fun at the expense of others. Doing that stupid little giggling to yourself, you know? Not really being fun to anyone else but yourself and those few that actually do understand what the hell you are talking about. In other words, having fun at the expense of others.

And even more sad, the fact you do it at the expense of some thread that didn't gain anything with the smartarse comments and the childish attitude.

So... no I don't. And I don't feel like I will ever want to know him.

Now, if you excuse me...

Govtcheez
07-07-2006, 07:40 AM
That is one of the whiniest comments I've ever read here. Are you really that upset because you don't know ethic well enough to appreciate his posts?

PS Starcraft does, in fact, suck.

Mario F.
07-07-2006, 07:43 AM
No. I don't. You obviously don't know me ;)

Salem
07-07-2006, 07:46 AM
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.